Jurassic Park 3D

Juvarisx

Florida
Took my niece to see this, she is 8 and had not seen it before. She loved it and seeing it on an imax screen with a modern sound system was amazing, particularly during the T-Rex attack on the SUV's. Totally worth it.

Cybsled

JP was the first movie I saw twice in the theater. Definite classic. It's also kind of interesting how in the years since this has come out, we have learned so much more about dinosaurs. If we knew then what we knew now, T-Rex and the Raptors would have feathers ;P

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Large T-rex's didn't have feathers, smaller ones did which was believed to help keep them warm but the large variety that we see in the movie were believed to have been actually warm blooded and feathers would have caused them to overheat.

Cybsled

Therapod feathers were much different than modern feathers...they were more hair like, so to speak. It's a difficult thing to gauge the level of cover because of the insane level of preservation required to actually preserve those details, most of which is coming from China. T-Rex were primarily found in what is currently North America.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm well aware and as I said previously, feathers are believed to only have been on the smaller variety and perhaps juveniles. The huge one we see in this movie chasing them in the jeep would not have been subject to having feathers.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't they just botch raptors? When the movie came out I thought it was known they were the size of a large house cat and as intelligent as a chicken

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Didn't they just botch raptors? When the movie came out I thought it was known they were the size of a large house cat and as intelligent as a chicken
No one knows how intelligent any dinosaur is, that's purely speculation. As far as size, yeah, they were only about 20-30 lbs. According to the Wiki link, they haven't even been found in Montana as depicted in the movie, but China/Mongolia. However they were supposedly modeled after another dinosaur:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus

Regardless, this is what Deinonychus probably looked like:

800px-Deinonychus_(Raptor_Prey_Restraint).jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They botched them in the sense that they faithfully followed Crichton's Velociraptors from the book.

Cybsled

Actually, shortly after the movie came out, a newly discovered species that they called the Utahraptor was found. This dinosaur was actually around the dimensions of the raptors in the film.

As for intelligence, it's hard to gauge. All we can measure is brain size and brain to body ratios or try to guess behavior using fossil records. We can also compare them to living birds and other pack animals. Certain species of raven/crow have very high levels of intelligence in regards to tools (even beating apes).

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
Large T-rex's didn't have feathers, smaller ones did which was believed to help keep them warm but the large variety that we see in the movie were believed to have been actually warm blooded and feathers would have caused them to overheat.
They've found a fossil of a 30 foot long T-Rex relative that was covered in down-like feathers. Not quite as big as T-Rex obviously, but still a lot larger than anything around on land today. And, didn't bother to look for it, but I'm pretty sure actual T-Rexes have quill knobs on parts of their bodies too.

Giant Feathered Tyrannosaur Found in China

PxS9ltQ.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yes and to date that is the largest and only known one with protofeathers. However it is widely believed hat when tyrannosaurids evolved into the large T-rex's we all associate the name with today that they lost those feathers due to again, feathers becoming a disadvantage to the species instead of an advantage.

It's pretty commonly believed that the feathers were proportionate to the body size.

And yes they messed up Raptors in the movies in terms of size (max size reaching near 75lbs). Their brains in proportion to their bodies were larger than most other dinosaurs but not large enough that it's thought they possessed intelligence greater then a dolphin but were indeed probably smarter then other dinosaurs of their time.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I always assumed the velociraptors were actually deinonychus (my favorite dinosaur as a kid), but they just used the name velociraptor, which was basically the smaller version of that type of dinosaur, because it sounded cooler.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I decided that I don't care that this is a money-grab. I'm the target audience and will spend the money and enjoy it.
Pre-ordered the 3D Blu-Ray this morning.

More dinosaur discussion please.