Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You bros seen the crazy shit Amanda Bynes has been doing?

PS Who is Amanda Bynes?

VCcjHVU.png

that aint right. i'll need to see some identification, sir.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don't really see that being the case. Many low paying jobs don't really benefit from hiring "more qualified" people. Someone better educated isn't going to be able to flip burgers any faster than a hard working highschool dropout. I would think though that raising minimum wages could lead to less minimum wage jobs overall, as employers try to automate things and reduce labor costs accordingly.
I really disagree with this. I mean, ok, SOME maybe. Like burger flippers. Your skill isn't going to make the burger cook faster. But when I started out working, one of my first jobs I was paid $6 an hour ($5.15 was minimum) to do data entry as a temp. I really remember going to some golf course to do some data entry on payments/addresses/etc. I finished the stack of stuff in 3 hours. I remember the guy being amazed that I was able to do it so quickly. My temp agency didn't have any other jobs that day, so I got paid for 4 hours (it was a 4 hour minimum). I realized though.. had I worked slower, and made it a whole day, I would have been paid for 8 hours.

Should I have been paid more than $6 an hour for data entry even though I was clearly faster than most people that get sent out? At $8 an hour, I still would have cost them less getting done in 4 hours time what the average person took 8 hours to do at $6 an hour.

Lots of jobs you can equate the same thing to. Car washers too.

Yes, those jobs should be low-end based on their skill, and certainly should not pay much. However, those that are GOOD at their jobs, even if menial ones, should get paid more than those that are not as good.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dat albino
Could be black - cousin-in-law or whatever the fuck it is - is dating a black latino woman and that guy is almost a spitting image of her kid from a previous relationship with a black man besides hair color. (Same type of tightly curled hair though)

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Yes, those jobs should be low-end based on their skill, and certainly should not pay much. However, those that are GOOD at their jobs, even if menial ones, should get paid more than those that are not as good.
that's why it's called a "labour market" because your skill set was above the job you where hired for, Letting market forces work eventually you will find a better job move on and open that job for a new person most likely a kid still living at home or still going to school. the intervention of the market by outside forces artificially would keep that job out of the low skill labor pull, and I find it really hard to argue that no job is > than an job at that level.

the other thing mininum wage laws do is raise the baseline wage any worker is expected to have, this in turn raises prices due to market forces so it has an indirect effect of inflation which hurts everyone on the low end of the payscale, the bottom line is that artificial intervention hurts the bottom end of the labor market the most, some people benefit in individual cases but it's not a net benefit to the society just like affirmative action.

Also having more money in the black inner city economy instead of food stamps and jobless people would also raise the value and living standards of the whole area, it would allow the economy in those areas to grow and increases the value of business through the velocity of money filtering out through the economy in those areas but again federal intervention has hurt those places the most.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
that's why it's called a "labour market" because your skill set was above the job you where hired for, Letting market forces work eventually you will find a better job move on and open that job for a new person most likely a kid still living at home or still going to school. the intervention of the market by outside forces artificially would keep that job out of the low skill labor pull, and I find it really hard to argue that no job is > than an job at that level.

the other thing mininum wage laws do is raise the baseline wage any worker is expected to have, this in turn raises prices due to market forces so it has an indirect effect of inflation which hurts everyone on the low end of the payscale, the bottom line is that artificial intervention hurts the bottom end of the labor market the most, some people benefit in individual cases but it's not a net benefit to the society just like affirmative action.

Also having more money in the black inner city economy instead of food stamps and jobless people would also raise the value and living standards of the whole area, it would allow the economy in those areas to grow and increases the value of business through the velocity of money filtering out through the economy in those areas but again federal intervention has hurt those places the most.
No tongue in cheek here or anything, maybe I missed it through the replying to quotes, but you're saying that raising the minimum wage is an intervention of the market by outside forces? Just trying to follow the conversation.

*edit: I understand that may be obvious, but semantically these discussions seem very delicate and I didn't want to make that assumption.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think the economics argument is that minimum wage laws set a price floor and when you set a price floor you get surpluses. If there are no buyers for your labor at 7.50 an hour than you sit on your butt rather than getting a job for less.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
No tongue in cheek here or anything, maybe I missed it through the replying to quotes, but you're saying that raising the minimum wage is an intervention of the market by outside forces? Just trying to follow the conversation.

*edit: I understand that may be obvious, but semantically these discussions seem very delicate and I didn't want to make that assumption.
Yes min wage laws are an intervention on markets by outside forces.

yes market forces work better the less intervention there is, the best kind of intervention is to bust up monopolies, trusts and large schemes because those work to undermine and control free markets as well.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Market forces though in this case are being over written by 11 million illegal Aliens keeping wages low.

Low end wages would be well above current levels if mass importation of cheap labor werent undercutting wage growth.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
You say that but the jobs just leave america and go elsewhere instead, so is that better? and that is also a result of all the free trade agreements displacing locals who have to flee to america to make a living.

Economics are more complex now, but if you look at the history of the laws you can see the effects clearly and dramatically, they served to keep the caste system in place.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thank god this story is over, they moved on to some pervert running for mayor in nyc who got caught being a pervert then had to resign and is trying to make a comeback even though he is still doing pervert shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.