Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can Zimmerman sue the Martin family for the assault and beating he received at the hands of their son? That would be fucking epic justice.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Skittles and Watermelon Drink
+ slightly used hoodie

edit - I really don't like how the prosecution gets to shoot for the moon with murder 2 and throw in all these lessers. It has got to create situations where a jury feels like they need to give some form of punishment even if the initial charge is too great but wouldn't have done that if the case was just about that lesser charge from the start.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
He would likely use syg defense to avoid civil court all together with wining the criminal case as proof of self defense.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad, the Martin family supposedly won a settlement against HOA. If Zimmerman is found not guilty and not guilty in civil court, does the HOA have to pay out?
If it was a settlement agreement, almost certainly not; no findings would have been made. But it would depend on the language of the settlement. Most likely no, though.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If trademark's family has no assets, he should sue them for the trademarks they took out on their son's name and any profits they have received from that, or any book deals in the future. Basically, just make sure they don't profit from their son beating the shit out of him.

TheProfessor

Golden Knight of the Realm
Cad, without asking you what type of law you practice, in your opinion, is that just normal animosity displayed by the judge to the defense or is their evidence of the judge really personally having issues with the defense?

Don't know if you understand my question.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
+ slightly used hoodie

edit - I really don't like how the prosecution gets to shoot for the moon with murder 2 and throw in all these lessers. It has got to create situations where a jury feels like they need to give some form of punishment even if the initial charge is too great but wouldn't have done that if the case was just about that lesser charge from the start.
I've been wondering about that every time people mention Manslaughter in the thread. They can just bring lesser chargesnow, or what's the deal? Everywhere I read says Murder 2 and nothing else. I thought you had to be charged with specific shit prior to trial, or at the least indicted. Am I misunderstanding or does it vary from State to State?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
No such thing as "immunity in civil court" ??

Never heard of this. Self-defense would be applicable in civil court as well.
In Texas i suppose he would be talking about this

CPRC CH. 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON
CPRC ? 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY.
A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune
from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
Anyone can can bring suit sure, but it should be tossed as a summary judgment.

Not sure if FL has an equivalent

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've been wondering about that every time people mention Manslaughter in the thread. They can just bring lesser chargesnow, or what's the deal? Everywhere I read says Murder 2 and nothing else. I thought you had to be charged with specific shit prior to trial, or at the least indicted. Am I misunderstanding or does it vary from State to State?
In these last minutes or so of the trial they've just been tacking on everything. I have no idea how it works but I don't like it!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Stand your ground applies immunity in civil court here. If he walks criminally then syg would be almost certain in civil. Which means not much more than a single hearing.

iannis

Musty Nester
I thought that as well about the charges, that you had to decide BEFORE the trial what you actually thought he might be guilty of. But apparently you just have to decide the worst thing you think he might be guilty of and then when you close just say, "Oh yeah -- he could still be guilty of anything lesser we didn't actually argue he was guilty of".

Zimmerman found guilty on charges of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to injure.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's kinda like why not charge everyone with first degree murder.

You slapped your wife? MURDERER.

You were caught jacking it in a public restroom? MURDERER.

It just seems absurd that the accuser is allowed to throw shit against the wall like that.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If Zimmerman goes to jail but Casey Anthony gets off we should force Florida into the ocean.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I just think it can create situations where the jury feels obligated to stick him with something because hey, we do have a dead body. He's got to be guilty of something right? Discharge of a weapon that leads to a death sounds like what he did so we'll do that.

Bam, 20 years.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad, without asking you what type of law you practice, in your opinion, is that just normal animosity displayed by the judge to the defense or is their evidence of the judge really personally having issues with the defense?

Don't know if you understand my question.
Judges are biased and all and I've seen some personally that are pretty rowdy. This one is pretty bad though, probably toward the worst end of the scale. It's not "normal" but it's not terribly unusual either.

Status
Not open for further replies.