Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Someone step in here and check me on this, but wasn't there laws that disallowed a company from conglomerating media that was repealed somewhat recently (perhaps 90s), after which a few companies essentially control all the traditional media outlets (print, radio, TV) in the country?

And to answer my own question, yes, there were rules and they got "relaxed" as big money pushed an agenda through in the late 1990s/early 2000s:Media Cross-ownership. Between this and the repeal of Glass-Stegall, the early 2000s really set the stage for the shit-show that our current media and banking systems are.
A game is afoot my good Watson.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
Shit media started more in the 70s, and really took off with CNN's advent though.

It got WORSE after the repeal of said law, but the repeal of said law was a result of our media going to shit, and politicians thus succumbing to the pressure from the big media conglomerates, and exacerbated the effect, but wasn't the source cause. Media consolidation was going on before that.

The source cause was media deciding its job was no longer to report the news, but to make it.

The solution, however, is very simple: Bring back trust busting and monopoly busting. Every major corporation in America, from Microsoft and Google to the media conglomerates, could be broken up into multiple small regional entities and prevented from buying up more than a percentage of the market for two decades or so like the phone companies after the break up of Ma Bell back in the day, and no one would notice a difference except in better prices, better service and more competition, and it would solve so many problems with the way our system is working right now.
sounds great. i've always thought that decentralization is a way to go.

Dunhill

N00b
The solution, however, is very simple: Bring back trust busting and monopoly busting. Every major corporation in America, from Microsoft and Google to the media conglomerates, could be broken up into multiple small regional entities and prevented from buying up more than a percentage of the market for two decades or so like the phone companies after the break up of Ma Bell back in the day, and no one would notice a difference except in better prices, better service and more competition, and it would solve so many problems with the way our system is working right now.
Why would that give you better news?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ma Bell was broken up in 1982, after all those laws were passed. So its still possible, but there needs to be some sort of pressure to make it happen and that, of course, is where the first link you've cited becomes critical to the whole issue.

Unfortunately.

On the Zimmerman trial, there's 4 really decent articles on the media and public reaction to the trial, verdict, etc. today. Finally.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...reactions.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...s=rss_opinions

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ieder/2516251/

http://www.mediaite.com/online/race-...edia-hates-it/

I like the Slate one even though I disagree with a lot of what it says. The guy writing it, though, at least flat out admits that after watching the trial's closing statements before writing his article, he was convinced that he had been misinformed on the facts of the case, and the USA today link is about how the media handles these cases and why it so often gets them so wrong.

Why would that give you better news?
Because right now virtually all media organizations in America are owned by like 4 major conglomerates, kinda defeats the point of media being watchers over the rest of the government when those four major conglomerates are in bed with corrupt politicians and using their media outlets as a massive echo chamber across multiple fronts spewing the propaganda that their owners want people to hear.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's too bad to see Daily Show and Colbert missing the chance to go after the media lies and just taking the easy way out. But they gotta play to their audience to pay the bills I suppose.
Yeah I've lost all respect for them now. On one hand you have Stewart complaining about CNN and FOX distoring facts and telling lies and then you have The Daily Show and Colbert doing the same thing.

Makes me a sad panda.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Yeah I've lost all respect for them now. One one hand you have Stewart complaining about CNN and FOX distoring facts and telling lies and then you have The Daily Show and Colbert doing the same thing.

Makes me a sad panda.
Time to embrace that sweet, sweet apathy.

It was all downhill after we discovered Santa isn't real, and just snowballed into everything not being real.

Dunhill

N00b
Because right now virtually all media organizations in America are owned by like 4 major conglomerates, kinda defeats the point of media being watchers over the rest of the government when those four major conglomerates are in bed with corrupt politicians and using their media outlets as a massive echo chamber across multiple fronts spewing the propaganda that their owners want people to hear.
So instead of those 4 major conglomerates you're going to get 50 small ones who'll magically start reporting fair and unbiased news? Somehow I don't think that's going to make a huge difference. Small media companies can be just as corrupt as big ones. In fact, I live where this is a reality.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So instead of those 4 major conglomerates you're going to get 50 small ones who'll magically start reporting fair and unbiased news?
No.

But by so many different viewpoints being expressed, you will be able to weed out the most biased ones and hopefully come to a greater understanding of the facts surrounding various issues.

There's no way to fully separate the news from opinion.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
So instead of those 4 major conglomerates you're going to get 50 small ones who'll magically start reporting fair and unbiased news? Somehow I don't think that's going to make a huge difference. Small media companies can be just as corrupt as big ones. In fact, I live where this is a reality.
impact would be different and regional.

i am starting to reject globalization somehow....thinking small rather than thinking big is my preferred option..

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Time to embrace that sweet, sweet apathy.

It was all downhill after we discovered Santa isn't real, and just snowballed into everything not being real.
Dude, I'm one of the first years of Gen X, apathy is my middle name.

In the early 80's I was this extremely liberal high school student in a very conservative catholic school. I was in shit likeBread for the World. I was very anti Reagan as well.

Then I started coming to the realization that it was all meaningless. I decided to just enjoy my life and try to make the best of it. Still even after 40+ years on this earth I still had some hope but seeing this mockery take place to Zimmerman and seeing how ALL MEDIA is distorting everything, just makes me really want to say fuck it, I'm done.

Society is going in a direction of complete and utter polarization. Doesn't care about facts or what's true, just cares about what they think is true and fuck the facts.

So yeah, fuck it, I'm done with today's society and shitty news.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Wait till companies like cnn, nbc, and fox news start to merge with internet information providers like google, youtube, facebook, and twitter and start filtering/blocking the information available through internet searches and social media to suit their brain dead political agendas. They'll eventually turn everything into either huffpo or redstate and humanity will begin the exciting process of Devolving itself back into monkies.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
Dude, I'm one of the first years of Gen X, apathy is my middle name.

In the early 80's I was this extremely liberal high school student in a very conservative catholic school. I was in shit likeBread for the World. I was very anti Reagan as well.

Then I started coming to the realization that it was all meaningless, just like my life and try to make the best of it. Still even after 40+ years on this earth I still had some hope but seeing this mockery take place to Zimmerman and seeing how ALL MEDIA is distorting everything, just makes me really want to say fuck it, I'm done.

Society is going in a direction of complete and utter polarization. Doesn't care about fact or what's true, just cares about what they think is true and fuck the facts.

So yeah, fuck it, I'm done with today's society and shitty news.
are you me.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Wait till companies like cnn, nbc, and fox news start to merge with internet information providers like google, youtube, facebook, and twitter and start filtering/blocking the information available through internet searches and social media to suit their brain dead political agendas. They'll eventually turn everything into either huffpo or redstate and humanity will begin the exciting process of Devolving itself back into monkies.
Its an inevitability, really, unless the Gubmint starts trust busting again.

We need to clone Teddy Roosevelt, badly.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
They can, though theoretically it would be more difficult (read: more expensive) to get a unified message across numerous independently owned outlets than our current situation where a small number of extremely wealthy individuals control most traditional media sources.

However, as Cad pointed out earlier, the advent of the internet helped decentralize media for those who wished to get multiple perspectives. Unfortunately, most people don't. They flip on their favorite source and get a quick, often extremely biased view of things.

It does seem to get worse all the time. The angle taken by the media in the GZ case was extremely irresponsible. I feel like they were practically begging black organizations to incite riots so they would have more shit to cover now that the trial is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.