Justice League of America

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Apparently, this is still in development hell? Someone should write a book on the politics at Warner.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Has-J...ped-35604.html

When Warner Bros. released Ruben Fleischer's Gangster Squad in January there were a lot of comic book fans who muttered, "Uh oh" under their breath. Those who have been following the developing Justice League movie know that Gangster Squad writer Will Beall has been handling the project's script for a while now, and the response to his L.A. Confidential riff was hardly encouraging to those anticipating seeing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash on the big screen together. The January release was received unfavorably by critics, many of whom faulted Beall's screenplay for the film's biggest problems.

But the time for worrying may be over as new rumors have surfaced saying that Beall's Justice League script is no longer being used and that Warner Bros. is now trying to figure out the next step. Multiple sources have told Badass Digest that that the motivation behind the reported move is that Warner Bros. was unhappy with the script's quality (which has also apparently been keeping potential directors away), but they disagree about how the project will move forward. Some suggest that "the whole movie is going to fall apart and never happen" while others are saying that the studio is determined to make the superhero team-up movie work and remain in competition with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The truth of the matter, however, is that the Justice League movie is up in the air regardless. In late January it was reported that WB is planning to wait and see how well Zack Snyder's Man of Steel does at the box office this summer. If it's a hit then it would be the boost of confidence that the studio needs, but if it's a flop it could crash and burn the whole idea. Previous reports have said that the movie is aiming to be released in 2015 - whether or not that will actually happen remains a mystery.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
They need to get grant Morrison, Jeff Lemire and dude doing Wonder Woman right now to team up and write a fuck script for individual movies then worry about god damn justice league.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The truth of the matter, however, is that the Justice League movie is up in the air regardless. In late January it was reported that WB is planning to wait and see how well Zack Snyder's Man of Steel does at the box office this summer. If it's a hit then it would be the boost of confidence that the studio needs, but if it's a flop it could crash and burn the whole idea.
While DC is still trying to figure out if any superheroes other than Batman and Superman will sell, Marvel is making billions doing it with their B charachters. Avengers was never as popular as Spiderman or X-Men, but Marvel cultivated this team into breaking sales records. In the meantime, DC won't cultivate their other movie charachters. If they can't make easy money, forget it, why bother. They'll just make more Superman and Batman, as they've done for the last 30 years.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
DC hires terrible writers. That is a big problem. Also look at the directors and such for the marvel movies. Kenneth Branaugh, Joss Whedon, Jon Favreu. That is serious business.

I just look at the Green Lantern movie as their ultimate failure to make this work. Who the hell wrote that thing? You can have humor, but it has to be in a serious context (E.G. Iron Man). And you need to have a real bad guy, not a cloud.

Ugh, just total fail.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
DC hires terrible writers. That is a big problem. Also look at the directors and such for the marvel movies. Kenneth Branaugh, Joss Whedon, Jon Favreu. That is serious business.

I just look at the Green Lantern movie as their ultimate failure to make this work. Who the hell wrote that thing? You can have humor, but it has to be in a serious context (E.G. Iron Man). And you need to have a real bad guy, not a cloud.

Ugh, just total fail.
My favorite was the memo that was being circulated amongst DC Execs. Since Batman killed Superman at the box office, they said that any new entrants to the box office would be "dark and gritty." Somehow, I don't see Booster Gold or Blue Beetle (the original one) like this.

Stan Lee said that success in the box office comes from the writers being able to distill what once made the character successful in comics. DC seems like they want to change their characters around from what they originally were when transitioning. A lot of projects aren't launched because the characters aren't Superman or Batman. Newsflash: not every character is the same.

Grow a pair and show us some diversity, and you'll be rewarded.

Caliane

Ugh, just total fail.
DC treats their creative teams like shit. good creative teams refuse to work with DC again.

Caliane

What really boggles my mind with DC is Vertigo.

Transmetropolitan. Preacher, Y:The last man, 100 bullets, Sandman, izombie, Lucifer, Xanadu, Fables, The Invisibles, The Books of Magic,
Pride of Baghdad, Northlanders, House of mystery.

Hellblazer has Constantine... sortof...
The Losers got a movie.

Fables has been stolen and "once upon a time" was made from it. GJ DC.
The Invisible has been stolen and "The Matrix" was made out of it. GJ DC.
The books of Magic has been stolen and "harry potter" was made out of it. GJ DC.
That is what happens when you sit on your properties and don't do anything with them.

How they are letting these sit there is insane.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Somehow, I don't see Booster Gold or Blue Beetle (the original one) like this.
I think a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle movie could work well. Would be like a Spider-Man really, and most of his stories had him interacting with other DC characters so they could use it as an introduction for some others if they wanted. Possibly set up a Teen Titans movie. Plus it would be beating Marvel to the minority hero punch.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They need to start with the new Superman as Movie #1 of the JLA buildup, then plan how all of these heroes can coexist and reboot the others to fit a JLA movie which makes sense.

I know NOTHING about it other than what I've read in this thread, but I would have the first movie being all of batman's anti superhero plans being stolen and used.

Caliane

JL:doom and Two earths already hit two of the best options for Movie adaptation of an established JLA stories.
A few of the crisis's could be made.

Original story is probably their best bet.
Tons of badguys they could use. Many are a bit too big to start with though.
Can't really do an anti-monitor/death of supergirl right off the bat. Nor should do a Darksied.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The problem with a lot of the DC characters is that most of them are just incredibly over powered. That makes it hard for them to relate to on the big screen. Look at Supes, no Superman movie has really used Supes at the level he runs around at in the comics.

The biggest problem though really comes through at DC itself. The fighting between the execs there is really fucking with their ability to get movies done. They don't want to take the time to set up anything they just want to get stuff out asap and it's biting them in the ass. Green Lantern was a disaster, so was Superman Returns.

If they get their shit together they really need to just copy and paste the Marvel plan. They have to reboot Batman and probably Superman, if Man of Steel is a bust. They need to get Flash and Wonder Woman on the big screen. Then probably reboot Green Lantern as John Stewart or Guy Gardner. Then finally get into a Justice League movie. With the JL Movie you introduce Martian Manhunter and gay ass Aquaman and then roll a solo movie for them afterwards.

lower case g

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd like to know how bad DC/WB are kicking themselves for pulling Joss Whedon off of the Wonder Woman movie, and doing that shitty pilot instead.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Am I the only one hoping for a Constantine sequel? I know it will never happen but...

Oh well.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle movie could work well. Would be like a Spider-Man really, and most of his stories had him interacting with other DC characters so they could use it as an introduction for some others if they wanted. Possibly set up a Teen Titans movie. Plus it would be beating Marvel to the minority hero punch.
What I was saying is I don't envision them being portrayed as a gritty crime fighter working well. That's the memo that DC Execs circulated after the TDK, that all future characters should be made to "feel" like Batman. They totally ignored the fact that Iron Man 2 did well at the box office.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
iron man 2 did well at the box office based on the good will of the first one. iron man 2 was horrid.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Am I the only one hoping for a Constantine sequel? I know it will never happen but...

Oh well.
A lot of people rip on it because of Keanu Reeves, but I think it's one of the best DC movies and one of his best movies. Really enjoyed this one.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the marvel superheroes are just flat out more interesting than DC superheroes. not going to go all nerdy on this, but really, aside for batman, most of DC's heroes are just really fucking lame. superman disguises himself as a goofy news reporter. not interesting. wonder woman has a rope that makes people tell the truth and bracelets that deflect bullets (fuck me that's lame). aquaman's only power is to control sea creatures (really?). they're all just flat. compare that to marvel's characters, who all have powers but also are still vulnerable and have a darker side (like spiderman, the x-men, hulk, etc...) and you can make a lot more interesting movies.