Kayak and Canoe Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Killarney is nice, but I love Algonquin. I once did a 19 day trip in there, carried in very little food. Snares and fishing. It was amazeballs.
That sounds awesome. I've ever set foot in Algonquin, but it's on the list.

Every year I'm up in lady Evelyn smoothwater for a week. But this is motor boat camping. Nothing survival

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That sounds awesome. I've ever set foot in Algonquin, but it's on the list.

Every year I'm up in lady Evelyn smoothwater for a week. But this is motor boat camping. Nothing survival

Canoe camping doesn't have to be survival. If you're doing a lot of canoeing with not all that much portaging you can carry huge amounts of provisions. I know someone who brings a Weber grill canoe camping, and eats steaks.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Canoe camping doesn't have to be survival. If you're doing a lot of canoeing with not all that much portaging you can carry huge amounts of provisions. I know someone who brings a Weber grill canoe camping, and eats steaks.
Most of the time it isn't, but if you're going out by yourself you should be prepared for the potential to survive on your own longer than expected. All you really need is a way to consume water and a way to stay warm. Filters are light and small enough there's no reason not to have one available. I like and often do bring lots of other things with me into the wild, but I never forget that they are the luxuries.

It's probably a challenge to get horribly lost on a canoe, but it's also best to discourage people who aren't confident from attempting those sort of things. Not everyone has a good sense of direction.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Most of the time it isn't, but if you're going out by yourself you should be prepared for the potential to survive on your own longer than expected. All you really need is a way to consume water and a way to stay warm. Filters are light and small enough there's no reason not to have one available. I like and often do bring lots of other things with me into the wild, but I never forget that they are the luxuries.

It's probably a challenge to get horribly lost on a canoe, but it's also best to discourage people who aren't confident from attempting those sort of things. Not everyone has a good sense of direction.

It's actually not that hard to get lost on a canoe trip. I know people who have done it. Reading a map is a lost art.

But yeah, bring the water filter for sure. And dehydrated food.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Grabbing another yak today. Those Eddyline Caribbean’s are so fucking sexy and light but I just don’t trust thermoformed kayaks on the river though. When it’s low water (all year but summer) it’s easy to hit/scrape the rare protruding log or rock. If I was buying the kayak for myself only then maybe I’d risk it but it’s for guests….

I was looking at the perception tribe 11.5 but after having a tarpon 120 I think it’s worth the extra money… Having the footrest be adjustable is a huge bonus. Another alternative is a native falcon 11. Has adjustable foot rest however it’s 1.5 ft shorter than the tarpon so a little concerned how it’ll track and stability. It’s wider than the tarpon by 1.5 inches so maybe it could be more stable but I’m thinking it’ll also be slower.

also what paddles are you bros using? Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded . ATM have a aqua bound fiberglass 130cm paddle, an old Werner fiberglass 130cm paddle and two Werner skagit fiberglass 140cm paddles. Fiberglass is worth the markup over aluminum. I had a tough time trying to justify carbon fiber at $300+ a paddle ($200+ over fiberglass) especially when I haven’t locked down my preferred paddle type and length.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also thinking of getting a canoe in order to diversify my portfolio. A buddy of mine was recently talking to me about them. Doesn’t seem like anyone sells them anymore tho.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Foler Foler I just use the stock NuCanoe paddle for my Frontier 12. Don't even remember the size, but it's pretty damn long to clear the 42in beam comfortably.
Use a Bending Branches (one of the angler models) for the Kilroy. It's not carbon either, but it's been a good fit for the boat. They're a decent brand, and pretty easy to find.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Looking for ideas on kayak storage. Currently they are sitting on the dirt ground under my deck outside. Apparently this is bad. They should be either upside down or on their side. Ground also isn’t level. Maybe storing them on their side on foam blocks with them leaning against the decks posts?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Looking for ideas on kayak storage. Currently they are sitting on the dirt ground under my deck outside. Apparently this is bad. They should be either upside down or on their side. Ground also isn’t level. Maybe storing them on their side on foam blocks with them leaning against the decks posts?
Just hit YouTube. There's tons of DIY solutions people have come up with. If your boats are fairly light you can install brackets along a wall in your garage if you have the space. I built a double tiered cart on casters that I wheel out if the garage when needed. It works fine for me.

I'm sure there's something out there that would fit your situation.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Vertical storage is the way to go. Takes little floorspace and is easy to build yourself. Like Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded said, hit up youtube for options.

If you don't have the vertical clearance to do it, this works well even outside.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Vertical storage is the way to go. Takes little floorspace and is easy to build yourself. Like Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded said, hit up youtube for options.

If you don't have the vertical clearance to do it, this works well even outside.
Yeah, if I could store shit vertically I would, but don't have the ceiling clearance. Plus the NuCanoe is a barge, so too heavy for wall hanging. The carts been nice because I can keep all my kayak and some fishing stuff just in the boats, and even hang extension ladders off the rack to try to maximize space.

This looks like a cheap and easy vertical option:

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

if going under your deck, would just hang them upside down from the deck joists. i put the straps inside of pool noodles so they hold shape and makes it easier to put the kayak back

sorta like this, but i don't have hoists
1624907679172.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Yeah, if I could store shit vertically I would, but don't have the ceiling clearance. Plus the NuCanoe is a barge, so too heavy for wall hanging. The carts been nice because I can keep all my kayak and some fishing stuff just in the boats, and even hang extension ladders off the rack to try to maximize space.

This looks like a cheap and easy vertical option:

Ya vertical is legit. Wish I had the room for it.
if going under your deck, would just hang them upside down from the deck joists. i put the straps inside of pool noodles so they hold shape and makes it easier to put the kayak back

View attachment 360166
Hah! I actually have this exact setup to try for my deck. Started installing it the other day. Gonna finish it today. I'm skeptical there's enough clearance under the deck to hoist it and make it easy to flip the kayak upside-down and then hoist.

We'll see. Gonna try this and if it doesn't work build my rack.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
having in advertently researched a bit of this, a kayak ceiling hoist looked like a good way to lift a few storage containers into my attic
b64dc4f600506a4559bc81dd82eb765a.png

i have about 40 of the yellow/black (or 30?) 27gallon containers
323864b7d87bbce9883397adf99da2e2.png

they are amazingly strong and survived a move really well (my rubbermaid containers practically disintegrated)

i guess i'll make some kind of 2x4 and spread the load between 3 roof rafters

if this works well i'll upgrade to an electric hoist, it's just that the outlet is far and i don't want to run new wires yet

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 360166
Ended up trying this. Deck is just too close to the ground for it not to be the biggest PITA ever.

ordered that 8 kayak log rack I posted earlier. Gonna just use the bottom 4-6 racks and tarp it. Will hire someone to build cover for it at some point probably.