Kayak and Canoe Thread

Adebisi

What a time to be alive
<Silver Donator>
35d 16h 47m
Killarney is nice, but I love Algonquin. I once did a 19 day trip in there, carried in very little food. Snares and fishing. It was amazeballs.
That sounds awesome. I've ever set foot in Algonquin, but it's on the list.

Every year I'm up in lady Evelyn smoothwater for a week. But this is motor boat camping. Nothing survival

lurkingdirk

A Dirk who Lurks
<Medals Crew>
128d 33m
That sounds awesome. I've ever set foot in Algonquin, but it's on the list.

Every year I'm up in lady Evelyn smoothwater for a week. But this is motor boat camping. Nothing survival

Canoe camping doesn't have to be survival. If you're doing a lot of canoeing with not all that much portaging you can carry huge amounts of provisions. I know someone who brings a Weber grill canoe camping, and eats steaks.

Furry

<Gold Donor>
114d 22h 33m
Canoe camping doesn't have to be survival. If you're doing a lot of canoeing with not all that much portaging you can carry huge amounts of provisions. I know someone who brings a Weber grill canoe camping, and eats steaks.
Most of the time it isn't, but if you're going out by yourself you should be prepared for the potential to survive on your own longer than expected. All you really need is a way to consume water and a way to stay warm. Filters are light and small enough there's no reason not to have one available. I like and often do bring lots of other things with me into the wild, but I never forget that they are the luxuries.

It's probably a challenge to get horribly lost on a canoe, but it's also best to discourage people who aren't confident from attempting those sort of things. Not everyone has a good sense of direction.

lurkingdirk

A Dirk who Lurks
<Medals Crew>
128d 33m
Most of the time it isn't, but if you're going out by yourself you should be prepared for the potential to survive on your own longer than expected. All you really need is a way to consume water and a way to stay warm. Filters are light and small enough there's no reason not to have one available. I like and often do bring lots of other things with me into the wild, but I never forget that they are the luxuries.

It's probably a challenge to get horribly lost on a canoe, but it's also best to discourage people who aren't confident from attempting those sort of things. Not everyone has a good sense of direction.

It's actually not that hard to get lost on a canoe trip. I know people who have done it. Reading a map is a lost art.

But yeah, bring the water filter for sure. And dehydrated food.