Kayak and Canoe Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Has supply and demand caught up with each other? I know when the shutdowns started they were like bikes and other stuff lot of demand and short supply.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My brother has a Jackson Big Tuna. It's there tandem sit on top offering. He snagged his off Craigslist for maybe around 700.

He's been happy with it to take the wife and son out on it. Also been paddling the Colorado river for overnight trips, and when solo, there's lots of space for coolers and camping equipment.

It's 14 ft long so it can be fast but it's still a barge. My NuCanoe Frontier 12 can easily be made tandem and I know a lot of people do that.

Jackson also has the Kilroy DT. It's the tandem version of a hybrid sit inside / sit on top. I have the standard version and it's a very quick boat with lots of stability. Only issue is if you take on water you need to have a bilge pump. It's a very comfortable kayak and I would imagine that the tandem rig would be a nice boat. I'm guessing it's a little bit more expensive than mine, but I got a year old model a few years ago at a deep discount for around $1,000 from an outfitters in fort Worth that was liquidating inventory.

I think native watercraft has a tandem boat as well. You can always go with one of the cheaper big box brands. I know Malibu and maybe pelican has tandem boats but the seats are not as comfortable and they're definitely more just recreational. If you really want to do any fishing or long distance stuff you're better off looking at one of the dedicated brands.

Thanks, I'm not looking to do anything like fishing or long distance. Just to go down to some state parks and go down some short streams/lakes. Was looking for something under 500 just to get a feel for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Has supply and demand caught up with each other? I know when the shutdowns started they were like bikes and other stuff lot of demand and short supply.
It seems that it's recovered some. Austin Canoe and Kayak has a lot more inventory again. Was just looking at it last night while talking with a buddy who's looking at getting a kayak. Most of their pedal kayaks are in as well as regular paddle boats.

I've even seen more at Academy then during the height of hoax flu.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Place at the bottom of my hill started renting kayaks for $20 a day plus free jacket rentals. Been getting bigger ones for me + 7yo and smaller ones for myself on off weeks. Even with $20 being dang cheap, thinking about buying one and carrying down the hill each day like a surfer

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded ended up buying a WS tarpon 120 and Hurricane skimmer 140T.

Both great boats. Need to pick up a few more singles. Thinking of just sticking of tarpon 120s. Eddyline Caribbean 12fs looks hella sexy but I don’t know if I want to trust thermoform for durability. Already am with the hurricane but I’m skeptical how well it’s gonna fair in shallow waters with occasional stumps and rocks.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded ended up buying a WS tarpon 120 and Hurricane skimmer 140T.

Both great boats. Need to pick up a few more singles. Thinking of just sticking of tarpon 120s. Eddyline Caribbean 12fs looks hella sexy but I don’t know if I want to trust thermoform for durability. Already am with the hurricane but I’m skeptical how well it’s gonna fair in shallow waters with occasional stumps and rocks.
Welcome back bud.

Those look like nice and fast boats. Hope you been out enjoying them on the water.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I feel like a good canoe and getting good at canoeing would be more versatile than a kayak. Thoughts?

• 1Seriously?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I feel like a good canoe and getting good at canoeing would be more versatile than a kayak. Thoughts?
What is this 1990? Canoes are obsolete. No one uses canoes anymore. Kayaks are superior in every way. Pick a kayak for your intended use and be done with it.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You are correct. You can do flat water, white water, anything with a canoe, and you have storage, and more stability. If you're good with a canoe it's a magical thing. I think I'll always prefer them to kayaks, though I do enjoy kayaks as well.

• 1Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You are correct. You can do flat water, white water, anything with a canoe, and you have storage, and more stability. If you're good with a canoe it's a magical thing. I think I'll always prefer them to kayaks, though I do enjoy kayaks as well.
Here's a guy chiming in with false information. Right. The same canoe you take out on the lake will work great for white water.... Real genius here.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
What is this 1990? Canoes are obsolete. No one uses canoes anymore. Kayaks are superior in every way. Pick a kayak for your intended use and be done with it.

Thanks for "pants on firing" me three times in your first ten minutes back. Shows me you really care. Also shows me you're a little bit obsessed, and are following me around. Cool.

Also, sorry you became such a pussy that you had to hide your profile.

Welcome back.

giphy.gif

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Here's a guy chiming in with false information. Right. The same canoe you take out on the lake will work great for white water.... Real genius here.

Actually, I have a canoe that works great for both. Thanks for confirming that. Have a nice day.

• 1Pants on Fire!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Actually, I have a canoe that works great for both. Thanks for confirming that. Have a nice day.
Kayak would do tenfold better. Canoes are Boomer shit.

Let go Boomer.

• 1EyeRoll

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I like the ability to load up a canoe for backcountry action. Two people. Gear. Seems perfect

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I like the ability to load up a canoe for backcountry action. Two people. Gear. Seems perfect

Back country canoeing is amazing. Go to the Boundary Waters if you can, or even better, Algonquin Park. Canoe from site to site every day. It's a blast. Go down streams, over/under trees, get some fast moving water, go across lakes. All in the same day. It really is a lot of fun.

• 1Clown World

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Back country canoeing is amazing. Go to the Boundary Waters if you can, or even better, Algonquin Park. Canoe from site to site every day. It's a blast. Go down streams, over/under trees, get some fast moving water, go across lakes. All in the same day. It really is a lot of fun.
This guy's Channel got me thinking about it again.

He's in Eastern Ontario usually.

I want to do Killarney

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This guy's Channel got me thinking about it again.

He's in Eastern Ontario usually.

I want to do Killarney

Killarney is nice, but I love Algonquin. I once did a 19 day trip in there, carried in very little food. Snares and fishing. It was amazeballs.

• 1Trump