Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
finally got my town self sufficient and have enough crossbows and harpoons in the front gate killzone to take out anything that marches up so I decided to take a few guys wandering around to level up fighting and see what kind of craziness is out in the world. Entire Bugmaster fight (finding him, getting to his tower, taking out adds, taking him down, trying to get back to a Shek town with his unconscious body for the ransom) is really intense and a nice epic fight. Got a meitou grade saber for my trouble. Didn't even think to start messing around with bounties before but now I'm grabbing them every time that i see them

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Put this game down a few days after it was released, picked it up again this weekend. Got my guys and base to a pretty comfortable point and definitely feel like I'm in the "mid game". About to buy a falling sun blueprint and see if my guys can effectively wield them.

In an effort to enjoy the game "properly" I've been resisting the urge to look up any information on it. I'm used to saturating myself with information about games I play in order to be effective in them, so it's different just struggling along on my own. But now that I've got the game under more control I can definitely tell that I wasted a lot of time by figuring the game out myself, of course. The most unintuitive thing I've experienced is that Food Cubes are really easy to make and sell well, and that you can craft tons of rust junk katanas (or probably any other weapon) really quickly, but if you weapon tiers via research you can no longer make those, and the ones that replace them take like 5x longer to make and only sell for 20% more. If I ever did a replay I'd make a massive number of shitty katanas and sell them until I was a millionaire.

Last edited:

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I have a bit of time in now, no guides / walkthrus used. I went pure thief, farmed enough cash to buy a membership into the Shinobi thieves. Lockpick and shoplift like a mofo, anytime I am caught I run like hell to the ST plastic surgeon pay 200c to become a faceless man before the guards can catch me. I bough a 4 floor building (19K) in a town that has a ST tower in it. Fence everything I steal in a Hive town just down the street. I have crafting, research and cooking stuffed into that building. Bought a Bone Dog from a caravan trader, raised him to an adult. Last couple days I have been grabbing up a Mercs in bars to lvl up my combat. I am sitting on 300K cats and have yet to find ancient books to up to Research 4. I want to lvl everything to the point I can go back to solo with just a dog. Dont know if its possible to become uber enough to just play as a Mad Max loner, gonna find out.

If you constantly are raping a town cleaning out 2 shops a night being a clepto the AI makes more and more guards patrolling, if you move your show down the road a couple days the 'heat' starts to die down. I have my building public and it almost seems like if you make a town 'lawless' by doing a lot of crime some of your shit starts going missing too, but that might be my imagination.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well..... spoilers for how you can do what you want ahead, if you want to read them. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing, probably.

The key to getting the research materials (it will take f'n -weeks- to research with just you to get everything) after you run into the ancient books, engineering manuals, and AI cores, you can train your guy to basically be super ninja thief crossbow wizard. What you do, is run around encumbered to get your Str up (might already be; 40 is decent) then get athletics up super high (70/80s) as well as your stealth (not as high, but high) and go around equipping all the +stealth shit you can, that doesn't have major athletics negatives. Go to that scrap town or one of the other "out of the way" places that aren't near the newblar starting areas (That place in the fogman mists way up north tends to be decent) and get yourself a good crossbow. The sniper ones are good, but with what you're doing they actually take longer to kill things with and level up because of the long reload times) Something that uses regular bolts is probably fine; that's what I did.

Once you have that, and your stealth is capped or near cap, go around hunting ancient ruins. You'll need some pretty high lockpicking (but you're a thief; may not matter at this point) or to keep a couple of "Tools" on you (they show up a lot at the ancient ruins/libraries in my experience) and begin to pillage the world. The robot spiders and shit that will chase you around move slowly and you can easily kite them to death, even at low skill. You'll get past the manual/ancient book phase pretty quickly (except when you get back and have to research for a week IRL time straight). Then, you go to ashlands and raid the skeleton hives for the AI cores. Can easily be done with one character, and there's plenty of greater than 100% stealth gear out there to go from even a score in the 60s up to 100 (cap). This has the added benefit, if you are very high on athletics as well, as having you move -faster- than you can normally running while in stealth. Straight up anime-ninja-arms-to-the-sides shit.

I have a full city doing all the normal city things, but a straight up cold blooded ninja that I send out to collect research materials. Haven't done any of the cool boss kills really; got into sim-city lite and defending it from Christians and Ninja-Thieves has been pretty fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I have a couple different 'builds/scenarios' I am playing out atm. My favorite currently I call 'Iditarod', I have 6 Bone Dogs, a Pack mule and I am playing as ranged and just walking the earth. Biggest annoyance is setting up and breaking down camp beds to heal the pups. I wish there was armor for them, they get the shit kicked out of them every encounter. Also dogs not fitting thru tight terrain and having to pick them up one at a time to ferry them thru a flaw in geometry is tedious as fuck.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah for a one-guy team for years the pathing is pretty good in the game. But for a production level release? It definitely has some flaws/issues hah. Running around in circles when something is chasing you and there's -anything- sticking out of the ground can quickly end in a rescue mission with a misclick. I haven't done much with the dogs, largely because they were outclassed extremely quickly in my sim-city lite game. Same with the garru; pack animals sound awesome, until I realized that my ninja-wizard could run back and forth to town to sell in like 1/4th the time a max level garru could, and could carry almost as much crap. Had 1-2 of each animal in my town of 30, then booted them all to recruit randos because dogs can't handle that hydroponic action.

Reeeeeally wish there was some more progression after the Edge III (can't farm Meitou shit for everyone unless you do lots of reloads, which is save scumming at an extreme level imo) and the armor options are kind of lacking. Otherwise, still very happy with where it is at now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Been playing the hell out of this game the last two weeks, love it. The variety of the environments is just wonderful.
HUvgLeP.jpg

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm once you have a decent squad and have enough master level gear walking the earth is easy enough, only thing slowing you down is having to camp, I have done zero spoilers and I am kinda wondering if you arent base building is there an actual end game? I have looted more yellows than I will ever need, crafting is kinda pointless, especially once you find vendors with yellow loots. visited 75% of the map, have a mill in cats. Only thing I am seeing I probably cant take dont is those Leviathan / Titan things. Unless they swallow AI cores I am not seeing the point.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Endgame:
It's all about capturing the various faction leaders (Bugman, Stone Shek chick, the Christian's Phoenix guy, etc) and then surviving going through the Ashlands on the bottom right of the map. That area has these big cleanser units that drop AI cores as well as a bunch of Skeleton "hives" that also house them. Once you have a big base and your badasses can do the above without just being a stealth ninja guy/gal? You're basically done.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Found the lab full of 'Broken Ones' kept them alive quite a while til I ran out of repair kits in the middle of nowhere. I may start another play thru where I early on get a pack animal and load it full of bot-aid and see how far I can go with that freebie army only.

I had one last crippled Broken One crawling the map for a long time trying to rally to me. Was entertaining to see how far he moved while I was camped for a couple days.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm once you have a decent squad and have enough master level gear walking the earth is easy enough, only thing slowing you down is having to camp, I have done zero spoilers and I am kinda wondering if you arent base building is there an actual end game? I have looted more yellows than I will ever need, crafting is kinda pointless, especially once you find vendors with yellow loots. visited 75% of the map, have a mill in cats. Only thing I am seeing I probably cant take dont is those Leviathan / Titan things. Unless they swallow AI cores I am not seeing the point.
Like any sandbox game you get to choose the endgame. Personally I want to explore all the locations, research all the things, build a world-beating squad, destroy the holy nation and build a massive city in the center of the Holy Nation lands.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Like any sandbox game you get to choose the endgame. Personally I want to explore all the locations, research all the things, build a world-beating squad, destroy the holy nation and build a massive city in the center of the Holy Nation lands.

I guess next I'll go Genghis and start trying to sack entire towns, time to start building supply lines for war.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess next I'll go Genghis and start trying to sack entire towns, time to start building supply lines for war.
I feel like this version of Kenshi has the platform to do this kind of world conquest that Mount and Blade: Warband has, but is missing the supply lines + army generation from conquering towns.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I feel like this version of Kenshi has the platform to do this kind of world conquest that Mount and Blade: Warband has, but is missing the supply lines + army generation from conquering towns.

I am thinking pack bulls carrying only dried meat and ninjas with 100 stealth. SEAL team 6 Bin Laden raids. Thats gonna take a while to build up.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Errf dunno why but my latest attempts to build a massive base from scratch all crash.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
welp I've visited just about all the locations and just wiped out the holy nation so i think I'm done with the game.

Amazing game, hope it gets a ton of $$$ for the developers.