Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This kinda bums me out, I wanted an xpac not a whole nothing game. I guess I should start looking into mods.
sounds like it IS essentially just an expac in some ways.
  • The work we do on the engine upgrade will also be applied to Kenshi 1 as a free update.
  • Other core improvements or small features achieved in Kenshi 2 could also potentially be applied to Kenshi 1 as free updates.
  • Captain_Deathbeard Lo-Fi Staff 34 points 17 hours ago

The pathfinding/movement system is getting replaced too. It's a middleware that didn't do the job very well and we were unable to fix any internal bugs that came up as it was closed-source. Now we can replace it with our own code, and this will also be added to Kenshi 1

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Kenshi 2 is way more interesting than a Kenshi xpac.

Kenshi has such a massive world, I saw almsot every location and it took me 100+ hours. There's more they could've added feature wise, sure, but I bet it would've taken a while to add shit like all-the-features-in-M&B-Warband, so you might as well do it with another game world. Besides, there's not really that much you can do in the setting of "everything is fucked post apoc".

I'm personally hoping they make massive amounts of $$$ for Kenshi, do a big crowdfunding push and make more $$$ and have a real development team. Kenshi is pretty unique as a genre and I would really love to see it build on itself.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Just heard about this game a few weeks ago. I'm completely addicted. I'd love for this space/genre to get expanded as it's fairly unique and fucking awesome.

I'd love for multiplayer to be a thing someday and really look forward to seeing what they do for Kenshi 2. Until then, my Spooky Boiz squad of Sandscorched humans will ravage the wasteland, Naginataing the fuck out of everything.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just heard about this game a few weeks ago. I'm completely addicted. I'd love for this space/genre to get expanded as it's fairly unique and fucking awesome.

I'd love for multiplayer to be a thing someday and really look forward to seeing what they do for Kenshi 2. Until then, my Spooky Boiz squad of Sandscorched humans will ravage the wasteland, Naginataing the fuck out of everything.
It’s not nearly as robust, but check out Outward.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It’s not nearly as robust, but check out Outward.
Yeah, that's another game on my radar.

I think if Kenshi had just a few QoL/mechanics changes and some slightly updated graphics(I realize the project started in 2010 or whatever, so the engine is rough), it would be a legit game of the decade contender for me. I can't wait for Kenshi 2.

Caliane

Yeah, that's another game on my radar.

I think if Kenshi had just a few QoL/mechanics changes and some slightly updated graphics(I realize the project started in 2010 or whatever, so the engine is rough), it would be a legit game of the decade contender for me. I can't wait for Kenshi 2.
just to be clear, I would absolutely not compare this to Outward in any way. Outward is a survival rpg, akin to Skyrim, heavy on the survival aspects with an autosave, forcing you to life with the consequences of your action. and zones.

Kenshi is more like a squad based town builder, with warbands, and empire building.
Mount and blade is 100% its closest comparison. but frankly, even Rimworld and Dwarf fortress are closer then outward...

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
just to be clear, I would absolutely not compare this to Outward in any way. Outward is a survival rpg, akin to Skyrim, heavy on the survival aspects with an autosave, forcing you to life with the consequences of your action. and zones.

Kenshi is more like a squad based town builder, with warbands, and empire building.
Mount and blade is 100% its closest comparison. but frankly, even Rimworld and Dwarf fortress are closer then outward...
In my defense (comparing to Outward above), I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Caliane

Kenshi does market itself as an open world survival rpg. But its rpg is super light. and its very much based on squads/armies, not single character rpg. ihmo, there is actually a huge separation between what kenshi says it is, and what it actually is.

Like, even mount and blade, has more focus on the player character as a singular rpg individual.
I wonder if kenshi 2 will address that at all. Make playing as a single character, living in towns, etc more functional and robust. Or go the other way, and make town building, empire/faction elements more so.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Kenshi does market itself as an open world survival rpg. But its rpg is super light. and its very much based on squads/armies, not single character rpg. ihmo, there is actually a huge separation between what kenshi says it is, and what it actually is.

Like, even mount and blade, has more focus on the player character as a singular rpg individual.
I wonder if kenshi 2 will address that at all. Make playing as a single character, living in towns, etc more functional and robust. Or go the other way, and make town building, empire/faction elements more so.

Thing about kenshi is your starting character is not unique in any way. You can hire some shlub from a bar, and after changing their name and visiting a plastic surgeon, turn them into a clone of your first character. I like that in a way. It lowers the barrier between npcs and pcs in terms of power and really sells the point that you aren't special, and when you're dead you're just meat.

I understand what you are saying about more rpg options, but I also like that I had to create my own stories and not simply select from pre scripted options.

What I would like to see is some sort of narrative builder/ journal that just records all of the shit you do or get into with dates and possible screenshots attached so you can keep better track of your exploits.

I took screens as I progressed and looking back its amazing how many interesting stories I remember from each one.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, one of my favorite aspects of Kenshi is that you aren't "special" or the "chosen one" in any way whatsoever. It really makes you appreciate all of ya boiz. It also makes everyone less expendable, especially early on. It isn't until later that you feel like some hires are just redshirts.

I agree with the RPG aspects. There are a few mods which add dialog/lore and that helps flesh some things out, but I do really enjoy the "sandbox" style of creating my own stories, as you put it. I have a number of them; from when I lost my best chef in the swamps by blood spiders to when I took a trip to World's End for research and ended up in a 20v20 battle with the Holy Nation. Plus, I feel like with how vast the game is, when I want to explore or "check out" a new area, getting the caravan loaded up with supplies just feels like a grand adventure waiting to happen.

Most of my complaints with the game stem from outdated graphics and some minor, annoying, but not game-breaking bugs. If Kenshi 2 just had updated graphics, fixed the minor bugginess with the engine, and added some QoL improvements(especially with the UI and AI), I'd be happy as shit.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm not sure that unreal will work as well as ogre for this type of open world sim game. It will certainly look better, but graphics are the least important aspect of kenshi

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure that unreal will work as well as ogre for this type of open world sim game. It will certainly look better, but graphics are the least important aspect of kenshi

Yeah, I hope this isn't a case of going after visuals vs. gameplay. I have faith because of how Kenshi 1 turned out, but I hope this isn't a way to give it "mass" appeal in order to turn a quick buck.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

The modding potential is really the only downside from my point of view. I'm honestly not really that interested in a Kenshi 1 remake. The game was fantastic and easily one of the best I've played in years, but I'd honestly rather they devote their time into making Kenshi 2 that much greater, instead of wasting time on what is basically a dead game at this point.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The modding potential is really the only downside from my point of view. I'm honestly not really that interested in a Kenshi 1 remake. The game was fantastic and easily one of the best I've played in years, but I'd honestly rather they devote their time into making Kenshi 2 that much greater, instead of wasting time on what is basically a dead game at this point.

And I dont want them to spend their time making eye candy skins when they could be world building or making better systems. I dont wanna zoom in to see crop sprouting I want a bigger world with more encounters.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
The first one is one of my favorite games and I'm still a bit taken aback with how much detail they crammed into this every time I start a new game and explore new areas or find new lore but there are serious issues with the game that seem like they could have been avoided if it wasn't a one person dev team and fly-by-wire architecture. They've already put out one incredibly amazing game that far exceeded any expectations from a tiny team, if they've got a roadmap and have decided that Unreal fits that best then hopefully that allows them to complete their vision with less insane bugs than last time

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If nothing else, going with unreal will let them hire people experienced with the engine far easier than trying to break someone into such an archaic engine like Ogre

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user