Kerbal Space Program

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before; but have you guys triedPlanet Explorers?

Alpha v0.53 is free, current version is 0.6 but you have to pay to get that one ($22 I think).

-Minecraft based resource gathering and "progression".
-Vehicles
-Buildings with actual functions, you can declare colonies and assign defenders and workers.
-Quests and factions (really just the Aliens so far) in story mode. Not a silent game, it uses a lot of voice overs for the main story quests.
-Fully customizable Vehicles and Weapons using a Voxel based editor. The editor then calculates the amount of resources you need based on the materials you used and components.

A buggy I made for them that a dev seems to want to put in game:
zLPjXep.jpg

In the above example, to build that buggy during gameplay, I need 90 Iron, 55 Steel, 2 Drive Tire Assemblies, 2 Steering Tire Assemblies, a Low-Output engine, a Fuel Cell, a Driver Control System, and 4 Head Lamps. The templates can be purchased from an NPC, the Iron and Steel I have to mine/smelt.

-There are aircraft, weapons you can mount on vehicles, etc.
-Tons of alien critters of all sorts, some hostile to each other, some passive. Although the AI is kind of bleh.

It does have its fair share of bugs and such. A lot of the values (like durability) are really bad right now and mining can be very tedious. Monsters are VERY tough, so tough you'll have to get followers to help you. One you get steel weapons and a set of bronze armor you can more or less hold your own, but there are still lots of monsters that can one-shot you.

Overall it's not bad, worth a shot of the free one.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Before I finally figured out how to properly use the new apogee symbols on the gimbal I was going off of the early beta/late alpha method of getting into orbit easily by just changing angle based on altitude and velocity and somehow got the core of my space station into a reverse orbit. I can't imagine the amount of force and fuel wasted to blindly do that but it has been a lonely existence for Bob Kerbal up there so far while I try to recreate that with station components.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Planet Explorers
Never actually heard of it. How is the terraforming in beta .53? Can you actually dig our the ground? The video below does not show much in that regard. Showing off cool landscapes, cool monsters and lasers and shit is nice but not what I would call original. I'd be interested if the game has all that AND lets you dig out and build with as much freedom as Minecraft does.

Helldiver

Never actually heard of it. How is the terraforming in beta .53? Can you actually dig our the ground? The video below does not show much in that regard. Showing off cool landscapes, cool monsters and lasers and shit is nice but not what I would call original. I'd be interested if the game has all that AND lets you dig out and build with as much freedom as Minecraft does.
That's why I mentioned it, since someone in the thread had asked about something like that.

I think digging anywhere in .53 was actually better than in 0.6 from what I heard. It's a lot slower than in Minecraft. You don't have to do the mining route if you don't want to. If you just want to hunt, monsters drop meat which is used as currency. But if you want to mine, you can pretty much mine anywhere anything, chop down trees what ever. Later on (I think you can do it in .6) you can automate the mining and production process once you've built your settlement. My story quest bugged out or something so I haven't gotten to that part of the game yet. Some recipes later on require thousands of ores.

My Kerbal Shuttle Program... All have been a failure.

The shuttles themselves glide fairly well, I've managed to land them nearly every time without incident. Unfortunately I can't quite figure out the boosters, main fuel tank, etc part of the whole thing. I've wracked my brain trying to figure it out. The game doesn't give you much information in the VAB, such as total mass of a particular structure group. Also, I have no idea how to compare two engines. One says max power the other has the same power rating, yet it seems one has more thrust than the other. Again I'm so blind in the VAB. Turns out most of my problems have to do with mass shifting as the fuel gets expended. At that point I kind of gave up.

Kerbal One: My most successful, flawless until about 22k meters before it begins to pitch up (toward the shuttle side). It spins out of control so I end up jettisoning everything and glide the orbiter to a soft landing.

LXi6Uiv.jpg

Kerbal Two: Suffers from a similar issue to Kerbal One. So I added two liquid engine at the top of the tank (was copying the Daimos III shuttle that works). Again, same thing, works well to about 20K feet before it too spins out of control orbiter side.

X2atzt9.jpg

Kerbal Three: A lighter and smaller orbiter. I have not successfully launched it yet; I was copying the Daimos III shuttle but seems like our mass are very different.

UUtUStT.jpg

I don't really give a shit if it works the same as the Space Shuttle, I just want my orbiter to be able to get into space. I even tried a payload set up using fairings, whereby the orbiter was inside the transport vehicle, and that one too spun out of control at about 10k feet.

I don't want to do a space plane..

Be glad to share it and have you guys look at it, but you'll need a few mods. I only use them for aesthetics since I hate the way the other shuttles and the default pieces look. I use the B9 Aerospace mod that adds cool aircraft and shuttle pieces, Modular Multiwheels and Omniwheels for the landing gear and I believe that's about it. On the Kerbal Three I'm gonna ditch that tank which was part of the Shuttle pack someone released.

[Edit] Successfully got Kerbal Three into orbit... sadly it doesn't fly. When I came back down it failed to recover from free fall and pretty much keeps entering a spit. So I'm gonna use the same delivery system I have on Three on Kerbal Four.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A big problem with KSP and something that is rather dumb of the developers is the complete lack of information feedback about your craft. Thankfully there is a mod called flight engineer which displays all the important info for you(delta v, twr, burn time etc.) in the VAB/SPH and while flying. Why something like it is not stock is just idiotic;

f7KKIjn.jpg

With any space shuttle design(and any non symmetric) the problem is the out of balance center of thrust and center of mass. You need to either add a ton of rcs or some rockets to compensate for the eventual change in flight path caused by it. On my shuttle design I use 8 pairs of the smallest rocket to keep the shuttle on a straight heading and it works out very well;

YA77B8V.jpg

Successfully got Kerbal Three into orbit... sadly it doesn't fly. When I came back down it failed to recover from free fall and pretty much keeps entering a spit. So I'm gonna use the same delivery system I have on Three on Kerbal Four
Improper fuel use maybe? I had to go back redesign the fuel tanks on my shuttle because it was using them wrong and throwing the com way off.

I played it a while ago, managed to fly to the moon, get out and run around, then fly back home and land. Not only that but I wanted to make it so that I didn't leave any debris in space. Took a long time but I finally got it working.

Problem is, there is no motivation to play beyond that. The only goals are ones you set for yourself and for me, it just needs lots more content. Not sure what's happening since I stopped but I hope they add some resource management. I'd like there to be a mode where you have to use resources to make your space ships, and then you have to mine resources from the planets. So you fly up to the moon and build a mining station up there which harvests something that you need to make better components to fly to the next planet.

And space stations, you should be able to put researchers on them to unlock better gear or something. Also I hope they add a "legit" flag as well so people can play with proper components and proper physics, and it cuts out all the lame stuff that players make that makes no sense.

Fun game though, has potential.

Helldiver

So got Kerbal 4 successfully into space (now renamed Kerbal 1) and returned for a dry landing. Although I'm still breaking the rear end each time I land since the gear is not long enough to clear the belly of this model. Going to trash this model soon as someone releases a better orbiter model. Unfortunately no one has made proper landing gear struts.

On my third launch I tried to get into orbit but realized I had no clue what I was doing. So started from scratch again trying to make a gravity turn as per the tutorials but unfortunately with SCS on the controls don't work, which means the vehicle veers in all directions. Although I can do about 45 north, it's near impossible for me to turn east as per the tutorials without losing control.

So after much fighting with it I managed to hit a bad orbit with the periapsis in the ground. Unfortunately I had to jettison the freaking tank because it was causing me to spin uncontrollably. Glided back down and landed somewhere in the Kerbin's north pole. Again busted the engines in the rear.

O3ATcIA.jpg

SpybCDX.jpg

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Is there a mod to change the little green dudes to the little yellow dudes from Despicable Me? That'd make it even more hilarious.

Helldiver

Ended up getting MechJeb as much as I didn't want to, since it felt like cheating. It practically does almost everything for you.

The game really needs a recording feature, allowing you to go back to a certain point in the flight. Right now I'm having issues learning the plane and setting the thrust vectors at just the right numbers one I do the gravity burn. I only have a few seconds to fix it so that MechJeb can take over. If I fail that window I spin out of control and I have to start all over again.

Anyhow, ended up getting several mods:

MechJebBut you will also needModule ManagerandMechJeb Part Pluginin order for MechJeb to properly function.
Crew Manifestwhich allows you to move crew between different parts of your spacecraft as well as add more crew or remove them. Also allows you to move crew on to space stations and crew modules.
Crew and Control center chatter
Sub Assembly Managerfreaking godsend, specially if you're doing stuff like me using vehicle transporters and sub assemblies.

Mechjeb helped a lot with the issues I was having since it acts like an FCS which is what I really needed. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Mechjeb handles thrust control which I'm still having issues with upon hitting apoapsis and doing my circumnavigation into orbit.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picked this up on steam sale the other day, had a lot of fun with it. Does anyone have any tips for getting to mun/minmus? I can get to orbit around the main planet fine but I can never seem to get a (planned) maneuver that will take me to either (orbit projection just seems to flap around in all sorts of directions)

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To answer my own question: bitches don't know about my orbital inclination. Got into orbit, matched the inclination to that of the moon and then it was doable.

Watched this guy's first two tutorials which helped a lot.http://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg(scott manley)

Made a safe round trip to both Mun and Minmus. Really cool experience and I feel I learned a lot about space travel.

rrr_img_36528.jpg
rrr_img_36529.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Scott Manley is pretty much the go to guy for anything KSP related. Lots of good tutorial vids from him about different topics.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I want a game like Minecraft where you gather resources, with a tech tree like Civilization with a space race and planet colonization using Kerbal Space Program.

Make it happen, someone.
This idea needs to happen...