Kids & Food

Draconian_sl

shitlord
How do you manage to get a kid to eat decent food, instead of all this
pre made fatty crap the push down their throats, through tv ads & such???

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"Here's dinner, eat it or starve." What ages? I got a toddler so it's fairly easy thus far /shrug

The Master

Bronze Squire
There have been multiple discussions about this in the Cooking thread from people who have kids and I don't, but there have been a number of studies on the way we form tastes and a lot of it basically psychological and experience, if we have to keep eating something we'll start liking it. So advertisers have you beat here, they are professionals at convincing people. Easiest solution is don't let your kids watch advertisements. Which is something I'm already planning on how to handle limiting that. Ad-block, downloaded shows, etc., will prevent a ton of advertising getting to my kids. Then you can bribe them. Once they've eaten whatever was "disgusting" 10-15x because you gave them something for doing it, it won't be gross anymore and they'll actually like it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I remember my parents would say "eat this or go to bed hungry."

That only had to happen once or twice. Sure, there is some stuff I'll never love and refused to eat (hello peas), but for the majority of my life I was a pretty good eater. The problem is we're living in a nation of pussies now where every child needs a personalized menu, and god forbid you need to discipline your child or make them go without food for a meal.

Rime

<Donor>
A lot of it is exposing them to a variety of different foods when they are younger. The more varied a diet you have as a child, the more you are likely to enjoy a variety of different foods as an adult.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How do you manage to get a kid to eat decent food, instead of all this
pre made fatty crap the push down their throats, through tv ads & such???
No more TV ads. I'm glad we don't have cable so my son won't be bothering me to go to Disney Land. Lol, ok, he still will, but you get my point.

Get them interested in food. I'm wondering at what age my son might find good eats fun.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think a lot of it just depends on whether or not your kid decides to rebel by refusing to eat stuff. Having a kid that won't eat is a bitch, but for the sake of society you can't give in. I know too many adults that still eat like 5 year olds because their parents never made them eat anything that they didn't want to and I find them nearly unbearable to eat with. One of the worst people I know is a woman whose mother not only never made her eat anything, but her father also refused to eat anything. They would have dinner parties and her mother would cook for the guests and then make fucking hot dogs or something for her husband and daughter. It's like they were purposely programming her to be a narcissistic asshole and they really hit it out of the park.

I fully believe what The Master said about trying things a bunch of times though. Even as an adult I know that even if I don't care for something the first time I try it that I will learn to like it if I keep tasting it over and over. It worked for coffee, beer, and sushi and I absolutely live a fuller life for making the effort to learn to like those things which I was grossed out by the first time I tried them.

I also think that kids take cues from their parents. If Mom and Dad are excited about trying new things then the kid will want to get in on it. Alton Brown claims that all he ever had to do with his daughter is tell her that she wouldn't like (insert thing he was eating) and it wasn't for kids and then she would instantly be dead set on trying it and she would pretend to like it even if she didn't just to prove him wrong.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Repetition. We talk about healthy food choices all the time. Limiting sugar and processed crap. Avoiding fast food. We try to buy local bread with just a few ingredients, local produce and meat. My 11 year-old shot his first deer this year, a huge buck, and so our freezer is full of lean healthy venison. Well, not so full now.

Our kids are 7 and 11. While they love their deserts, cheeseburgers, wings, stuff like that on occasion, they also readily eat and enjoy sweet potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, squash, apples, fish, almonds, venison, and lots of other healthy whole foods.

I think it is important, as they say, is to shop on outside of row of the grocery and avoid all the processed crap on the inside. McDonald's should be like fair food. Eat it once or twice per year.

As a parent, you have to be committed to it because it takes persistence.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
We cook pretty much every night so our 3 year old gets a plate of whatever we are eating. She is really good about trying everything, and if there is something that she doesn't like, she doesn't have to eat it. If she doesn't like anything that we are serving, we usually have bread and some sort of salad that she can pick at. Really the only rule that we have is that she has to sit at the table with us while we eat. Even on the worst nights she usually starts eating something out of boredom.

Also we use bribery. She gets a York Peppermint Patty if she does well at dinner.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
They talked about this on NPR a while back and they basically said what a couple of you mentioned: Start early or provide incentives to eating/trying the food. Never, ever force a child to "finish their plate" because that can lead to obesity.

Oldbased

> Than U
Course I grew up in the 70's and have no kids of my own to try and feed but I was blessed our cook was my father so I always had spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread, or hamburgers with homemade potato salad or mashed potatoes, or pasta dishes. Even the greens always had bacon bits and butter. He even made the deserts mostly casserole type stuff like peach/apple/berry cobblers. Overall very little fried foods though and hardly ever fast food( outside of KFC nights back then ). Most of what he made was a mans version of every dish, the meatloaves were meaty and bacon was used on many things. Never had issues with the dinner!

Oldbased

> Than U
I gotta ask, Olebass. Are you overweight? :p
Am I right now? Ya I am 224 at 6' tall. Most of that came in the past few years due to stress, back injury and depression of relationship but I AM still in good physical shape due to my line of work, I just have a small belly now or as I like to say 4 months pregnant.
I was 155lbs with no fat until I was 28 years old, then I slowly crept up to 180s which I remained for about 10 years until the weight now.
Don't think what I ate when I was a kid impacted me much now. More the conditions around me. I'm slowly working myself back down to 190 at about 1-2 lbs a month.

Oldbased

> Than U
I always did. I had a dirt bike at like age 8 and I rode that thing like 10 hours a day in the summer, then in HS working out leg press was always my favorite then I jumped into roofing in HS as well and did that solid into my 30s up till a few years ago. I used to leg press around 600-700 lbs back then as a skinny teen.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll echo what others have said, make them try it (even if they don't eat a portion) or give them a smaller portion if it is new or if it is something they aren't that fond of. Example, my daughters like opposite vegetables (one likes cauliflower, hates broccoli the other is the opposite - carrots and peas etc) so I rotate through those and the one that doesn't like it as much gets a smaller portion - and if they both eat it then they can have some form of dessert (yogurt, fruit, maybe some pudding or something else actually dessert). After a while of doing this it gets easier, the one that doesn't like it will eat it np even if it isn't their favorite. I think a lot of this stems from making them try everything when they were younger and not pushing them to eat a ton of it if they don't.

Also, agree with not making them clean up their plate, I do however remind them that if they don't eat all of their dinner then obviously nothing else to eat for the evening (this can also work for things they don't like as much, of course more effective if you have a dessert planned).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My kid is way too healthy of an eater. Last night she had callower, broccoli, shicken, roasted potato. For lunch she had cucumber, tomotos, cottage cheese. I don't know what my wife did.

She's 14 months.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Am I right now? Ya I am 224 at 6' tall. Most of that came in the past few years due to stress, back injury and depression of relationship but I AM still in good physical shape due to my line of work, I just have a small belly now or as I like to say 4 months pregnant.
Not to pick on you bro but you're classified as obese given your height/weight. I left active duty at 6'1 220 and was definitely fat; just because I could run and do pull-ups didn't mean it wasn't nasty and bad for me. You are carrying enough body fat to significantly increase the likelihood of diabetes and heart disease. Regardless of how you feel now -- its about 10 years down the line. Docs aren't lying... 30+ BMI is not good.

EDIT: I already know BMI isn't meant to be applied to an individual, blah blah blah. The top 5 percent of the nation give the other 95 percent an excuse to ignore an easy metric.