Kids & Food

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Start early.

Don't feed or keep processed shit in your house.

You will tend to like what you grew up eating. That doesn't mean they'll be asking for seconds of broccoli but they'll have healthy habits.
Not true in the slightest.

I grew up eating vegetables with every meal and quite a good diet. I hated it every second and to this date I only willingly eat green beans, green peas, or corn for my veggies. I have tried again and again to eat the vegetables I grew up eating and can't do it still.

Our kids eat good food and given the option they do ok with making good choices on that. No different eating habits than when I grew up. I don't eat half the stuff at the dinner table they do.

The point is that it isn't just as simple as not having any 'bad' food around the house. It isn't just as simple as feeding them vegetables and they automatically like it.

One thing I suggest with a grain of salt and YMMV greatly on it. We tried the rationing of sweets and it just appeals to their psyche that the minute they are at a friend's house or somewhere else they go apeshit for all of that stuff or sneak it from vending machines etc. It just backfired on more people than I knew it worked on. Maybe all my friends and me have defective children though.

Number one point all people/kids are different there isn't a right or wrong answer. I don't have any answers. Raising kids is anecdotal 100%.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Do like my mom did: if they don't eat for dinner, serve it again for breakfast. Cold.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Like I said, I grew up very, very picky. We were forced by our grandmothers to eat everything on the plate or else we could not leave. Meaning, we gave a lot of food to the dog(s).

The best way to get your kids to eat different stuff is start early or as chaos said, incentivizing. You have to make eating new things fun.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've also found it helpful to have my 3 year old daughter help with meal prep. Here is a picture from earlier tonight of her trying not to cut her fingers off...

rrr_img_71269.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
This is harder than you think. Sure, you can limit it. But they embed advertising within shows now. Kids are surrounded by advertising and they pick it up pretty well. Just walking through a store you can easily get a sense of how this was designed specifically to be a gauntlet that families must traverse, all the while their kids being assaulted with product placement, well known characters, etc.
I look around everywhere for advertising when I go out, so yeah, I've noticed. I don't think it is going to be easy, but I'll manage. It is a high priority for me.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
My son at 4 and a half is impossible. As a toddler, he ate everything. Now he refuses to eat anything healthy. Everything I try to give him, he will put it in his mouth, gag, then throw up. Won't eat fruit, won't eat veggies, won't even eat roasted potatoes, only French fries.

His diet is turkey bacon, waffles, peanut butter and jelly, keilbasa, chicken and French fries, or pizza.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Our nutrition professor said that kids/toddlers who eat everything early on are very prone to becoming picky eaters later on in life.

Primalchrome_sl

shitlord
Our nutrition professor said that kids/toddlers who eat everything early on are very prone to becoming picky eaters later on in life.
LOL...that's really amusing. For my kids it comes down to :
- This is dinner. No I am not making something different for you. You don't have to clean your plate...but you do have to try some of everything and sit there until everyone is done. So while we're having a family dinner, who did you play with at school today?
- This is your snack. It is *NOT* a reward. It is a supplemental source of energy and/or protein. Maybe it's a Clif bar today...maybe it's a ice cream sandwich tomorrow.
- This is why we eat this way.....so you don't end up at 5'10" 270# on Jerry Springer talking about how you're "healthy fat". These are the health benefits. You know your buddy Rollo that can't play soccer because he can't run? You know that shot you blocked in goal last week? That is hard evidence of why we don't eat junk all the time.
Food is fuel. It is not an emotional crutch. It is not a reward. Sometimes you get something you enjoy, sometimes you get something you dislike. Grow up and deal with it. It is amazing how quickly and easily kids adapt to this when it's presented in a rational manner with no room for weaseling out. That doesn't mean you have to be an ass...just be a loving parent instead of their 'buddy'. For years we've played the game of the different odd things we've eaten or foods from different countries.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have seen a lot of people say similar things, and I don't really get what the problem is about having food be a reward. A reward isn't something you get every day, a reward is something you occasionally get. Saying to a kid, or an adult, that eating well will be rewarded with some crazy junk that they like, to me that is encouraging.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We're in the middle of potty training our daughter. My wife set aside "snacks" for her for every time she does well. A single fig newton cookie, a peanut butter cracker, a small box of raisins or a single peanut m&m or a piece of dried mango. She gets to choose which one she wants. She rarely has any accidents anymore, and even when she's wearing a diaper, she won't pee until she's able to use a toilet.

I'm glad my wife read up on doing rewards for that. I never would have come up with that on my own.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And make sure to smack them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper when they make a mess

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've also heard that also saying "bad" and "dirty" in a stern voice when she has an accident is quite good for the learning process. And never leaves psychological scarring. confirm/deny?

Primalchrome_sl

shitlord
I have seen a lot of people say similar things, and I don't really get what the problem is about having food be a reward. A reward isn't something you get every day, a reward is something you occasionally get. Saying to a kid, or an adult, that eating well will be rewarded with some crazy junk that they like, to me that is encouraging.
It's because it teaches the kid to associate good feelings with crappy food. Pleasure centers are being double tapped with sugar and the 'parental approval/reward' aspect. Later on that compounds things like the concept of 'comfort foods'. Depression, obesity, and trying to make one's self feel better with food.... It is a vicious cycle.

Reward a kid with sweets and they get a 5 minute rush. Reward a kid with a trip to the park and they'll be screaming and running for an hour.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can attest that food was used as a reward in my life for a very long time. Get 3.6 or higher GPA, out to Red Lobster for dinner, my fav restaurant at the time as a kid.

My parents also did the whole clear your whole plate thing.

I can admit now in my adult life I have huge problems with portion control, as I feel the need I have toeat everything in front of me, and I love rewarding myself with going out to eat. And to be clear, yes, I'm obese according to the BMI charts.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think you can overdo anything, but food is related to some of my best childhood memories. Fresh baked cookies, hot cocoa, savory homemade mac and cheese, etc. idk, I don't think that is a bad thing. No matter if you give it to them as a reward or not, kids are going to associate good feelings to good food because eating it inspires those feelings. I just don't see how you can teach the concept of control without acknowledging that there are foods that are awesome that people want that should not be had every day.

At the same time, we're all going to die and fade away into nothing. Eat the brownie, don't eat the brownie, in the abyss of time it is nothing. In the now, eating the brownie is good and makes you feel good. Eating 10 brownies does not.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This week's Freakonomics Podcast is about bribing your kids.

Freakonomics Why You Should Bribe Your Kids: A New Freakonomics Radio Podcast

They reviewed some scientific studies about bribing kids to eat healthier. Conclusion: It works. They didn't really draw any conclusions on the long term effects on their character, but bribes are very effective at getting kids to eat healthier at least in the short term.