Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
This one's come up a few times in discussions about Kickstarter, but I feel it warrants its own thread.

So yeah, Kigdom Come: first person medieval rpg that looks like the love child of Skyrim, Mount and Blade, and pure awesome. Made its Kickstarter goal in, like, a day.

Kickstarter page

Videos

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i am looking forward to this game. It looks solid. on the other hand, wonder what would've happened if it did go F2P MMORPG...

Zx88_sl

shitlord
I had to rewind the first video because I thought I saw an arm sticking out of the spinning sharpening wheel... are there was lol.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It's been a while since I was really looking forward to something, but this is really interesting. There's no way this game will be middle of the road 7/10, it's either going to blow people away or it will crash and burn and with the pedigree of the developers (Mafia/Mafia 2, Vietcong, Flashpoint, Hidden and Dangerous, ARMA,...) it's probably going to be the former. That said, the lead designer has a few quirks, so I imagine there's going to be a few things people will hate. Like him insisting on less is more when it comes to enemies, I imagine every enemy will be able to kill you if you are not careful.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Going to say something unpopular I think, but...

I think one of Mount & Blade's best part is it is rather focused on killing people and then a bit of story, a bit of role playing, etc. The key was the focus on killing people, mainly from horseback. It was a military strategy game from the first person perspective.

This game looks like it is doing a lot more and I fear it may lose something by doing so. It looks more story first.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Judging by the first video this sounds very ambitious if they are actually serious about rendering that many players on a battlefield at the same time with those graphics. They would have to one up the Arma team and somehow ensure there aren't desyncing warhorses blinking in and out all over the place, not to mention the melee combat. If they pull it off they would be responsible for creating the most stable and advanced multiplayer experience in existence as far as I know. They've gotten twice over the funding they asked for but I imagine this will take tens of millions and several years to accomplish what they implied they can.

Darksouls level combat
Skyrim like world for an MMO scale player base
Meaningful and hardcore RPG
Mount and Blade scale battles at more modern graphical quality

Any one of the above is an accomplishment in and of itself but I do hope they can do what they say they can, it would be glorious. Honestly though I'd prefer a single/multiplayer game of the same scope to anything MMO scaled, but of course it depends on what their definition of large scale and sandbox are.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Keep in mind the money they got from Kickstarter is less than a half of the whole project's cost. They got an investor ready to give them enough money, but he wanted them to run a kickstarter to prove there is an interest in a game like this.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The latest video, this one on AI, which looks like it's going to basically be a moderately improved version of Skyrim

Not as exciting as the previous videos, but they end it by saying that the next one will be 30 minutes of gameplay, which'll be cool.

Sulrn

Deuces
rrr_img_60370.jpg

Skeletor being in charge of quests/AI routines makes me feel good about the game. Look at that dedication under the eyes.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
So Deliverance is officially multiplatform. Yeah.....damn.
What's wrong with that? Gives them more options to make money if their game is great. I will be getting this on PC no matter what, but it is nice that it will be on the consoles too.

Sulrn

Deuces
Downtime spent learning the new devkits = time wasted on expanding the scope and depth of the game. It also means inherent compromises in design methodology. If this was a well established studio with several months of hands on from pre-launch, that would be one thing. To me, this is a draw back and more weight in the "design the core then let the fans do the rest of the work at no cost to us" mentality I'm seeing. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the major emphasis on modding support. However the more I watch their videos and read their replies to comments it seems like we're going to end up with Skyrim on CryEngine and it's going to take several years of modding for the game to reach a fraction of its full potential.

I initially had the "I have a vision to make a game from" vibe which has steadily been changing to "I have a great idea to make money".

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So apparently this is getting some support from Star Citizen (and vice versa)? Awesome to see two game devs working together, not that Star Citizen has anything to lose since they've made enough money to last forever.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
And here's the longer video they promised; turned out to be more like 50 minutes.

An early (and evidently outdated) build, but still looking pretty damn awesome.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm not sure how I feel about combat at the moment. I think its going to be quite a let down to craft a living world and fine tune realistic details and then be fine getting away with someone stabbing you in the gut repeatedly whilst in padded armor.