Kingdom of Amalur: Re-Reckoning remaster releasing soon

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Never played it, so had been waiting for the remaster to be a reasonable price on series x, but always still over $30. Pricing reserved for great or terrible games.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Not gonna look it up, but there was a whole thing about Schilling trying to build a franchise and buying this game to rework into Amular IP to not only help with marketing/exposure, but to use sales to help fund the mmo and justify loan deals.

I don't remember if the game underperformed or Schilling over promised, maybe both, and it wasn't the only cause if anything, but I do vaguely remember the strange juxtaposition of the politician saying the game was basically a flop and proved the studio wouldn't ever meet their creative/production goals while the game was actually selling decently and getting decent reviews.

Remember it because then the opinion that Amular was vaporware was justified by saying the single player game was mostly made by a different studio, which of course was technically true while completely missing the point that the IP and studio were being called flops to justify what imo was a politically motivated move, while the game wasn't actually flopping.

There were design/creative issues, of course, like the trailer with the guy stabbing the skeleton. But it's still weird to me the game is getting remasters and dlcs and was sold and rated decently. Game managed to be exactly what Schilling was planning for it being, despite being cited as proof the studio/IP couldn't be a success and needed to be shut down.

In part, a fake news political hit job before it was commonplace. Imagine the outrage with Schilling and 38 even existing if they'd made it past that initial fiasco. In 100 alternate realities they probably get politically axed in 99 of them.

Yeah, pretty much.

Curt over-promised on Kingdoms of Amalur sales in regards to the loan terms. Essentially, KoA needed to be a blockbuster success for it to work out and even though it was successful, it didn't meet the threshhold. Curt wanted to renegotiate the terms based on KoA's success, but the politicians (who were already getting publicly crucified for the deal) refused and said the game was a failure and that the state got screwed, Curt misled investors, etc.

I think in even a slightly less political environment, 38 Studios would've survived, but Curt was dealing w forces that didn't care about the success of KoA. Rhode Island walking away from the deal and losing millions was more politically expediant than actually making money on the deal, which goes to show how retarded politicians and voters are. The whole thing was a huge failure on Curt's part, given his position on politicians. He bought in to a system he publicly didn't believe in and it cost him everything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This and just how boring the game is. So fucking easy

I'd agree the core game was pretty boring. The whole thing was side quests.

However, the combat was near perfect. It's one of the few games, like Monster Hunter, where you can play just to try out different weapons.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
38 never did anything on this game anyway aside from purchase Big Huge Games and reskin NPC's on a 90% completed game called Ascendant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I don't think 38 Studios would have made it if RI didn't back out when they did. Everything would have happened just a little further down the line

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Vicodin probably

Just started up Re-Reckoning. Never played this or the original, it's been backlogged since like 2015. I've been told it's like a single-player World of Warcraft and is a bit bland but enjoyable?

Any pro-tips here on how to blast through the game relatively quickly?

Edit: Said the same stuff I said in a post a few months ago that I forgot about

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Like, pass on it entirely?

Played the first 3 hours, it's certainly average as fuck. Reminds me a lot of Fable, only way more polished. It's absolutely a "single-player WoW". Running a caster and the game is pretty easy that way.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, remotely challenging in the early levels then you suddenly can melt everything and the game drops off a cliff.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just started up Re-Reckoning. Never played this or the original, it's been backlogged since like 2015. I've been told it's like a single-player World of Warcraft and is a bit bland but enjoyable?

Any pro-tips here on how to blast through the game relatively quickly?

Edit: Said the same stuff I said in a post a few months ago that I forgot about
You do not need any pro tips to blast through it, it’s not very hard. Skipping some or all side quest will get you through it much quicker. It’s not bad, it’s just an average action fantasy game. Lite but enjoyable enough. It wears out quick due to the easy difficulty and repetitive quests so probably more fun by skipping the side stuff.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It so fucking insane how much energy, time and capital were thrown at this game, not once, but twice, and it is still worse than some indie/Kickstarter games made for 98% less. Just goes to show you that budget and talent arent everything. You also need leadership. Curt Schilling was in so far over his head, and didnt have anyone to hedge against him. He just drove the entire thing into the fucking dirt.

Again, think of all of the full time jobs, loans, money, talent, commitment etc that went into this game.....

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, remotely challenging in the early levels then you suddenly can melt everything and the game drops off a cliff.

I'm playing a caster and I can see where the high level talents are obscenely OP. Most of the good sorcery talents weren't available until 20 points were spent, so I had to waste a few talent points in the teens on things I didn't actually want just to get to that threshold. Brought back some WoW memories. Now that I'm past 20 I can get some really good stuff like improved Storm Bolt, a summoned pet, and the heal (no more buying overpriced potions).

You do not need any pro tips to blast through it, it’s not very hard. Skipping some or all side quest will get you through it much quicker. It’s not bad, it’s just an average action fantasy game. Lite but enjoyable enough. It wears out quick due to the easy difficulty and repetitive quests so probably more fun by skipping the side stuff.

I'm skipping all the side stuff. 3 hours in, probably like 8-10 hours in for a regular player who is taking their time.

It so fucking insane how much energy, time and capital were thrown at this game, not once, but twice, and it is still worse than some indie/Kickstarter games made for 98% less. Just goes to show you that budget and talent arent everything. You also need leadership. Curt Schilling was in so far over his head, and didnt have anyone to hedge against him. He just drove the entire thing into the fucking dirt.

Again, think of all of the full time jobs, loans, money, talent, commitment etc that went into this game.....

It would have been cool if the game had spawned a full-fledged series like they wanted it to. Like I can feel all the hopes and dreams that went into it. Unfortunately, despite all of the desire the devs had to make something great, I don't think the vision was there to do anything beyond a generic game. Just completely derivative. It's like what'd happen if I oversaw a game development project. I'd draw from what I know and what works and I don't know how much I'd be able to innovate.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
minor tip... try not to go into a zone unless you're done with the previous one. the game sets the level of the creatures when you first enter the zone. if you are exploring and /or trying to do a quest that is spread across multiple zones, by the time you are ready to move on, the creatures could end up being gray and no challenge

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I think they got rid of that level-locking feature in the re-release. Enemies match your level now (subject to a minimum and maximum per zone). So you can't breeze through the game by locking enemy level at low levels like that.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished the game. As far as leveling goes in the remaster: I breezed through the game, doing minimal sidequests. Eventually hit a roadblock once I reached the final zone of the game (the southeast purple area) which was, I believe, during the second-to-last main quest.

The enemies suddenly became almost impossible to damage, so I'm guessing I somehow got outleveled despite whatever scaling the game has. Went and did side quests / level-grinded from 17 to 20 and then completely rolled the final area. Aside from that hiccup adding a couple extra hours to the game, it was pretty smooth sailing throughout.

1650964017899.png

Also my character had a fantastic rack.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I have never managed to finish this game. Pretty sure I've played it 3 times and fell asleep trying. lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have never managed to finish this game. Pretty sure I've played it 3 times and fell asleep trying. lol

Being a caster helped a lot. They get some interesting variety.

Also, a shirtless female for half the game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So did you like the game or what?

It was like a 6/10, but I did like it yeah. Was able to turn my brain off for 13 hours and just blast things with spells. Felt like speedleveling a new WoW character through classic type content.