Kingdom of Amalur: Re-Reckoning remaster releasing soon

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved the game when it came out too. But I agree the video was underwhelming. My library already ordered a couple copies, so I'll check it out anyway.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember buying it, I think I still have the case around somewhere, but I can't really recall much about it. I think only played a couple hours before going back to whatever I was doing back then.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember buying it, I think I still have the case around somewhere, but I can't really recall much about it. I think only played a couple hours before going back to whatever I was doing back then.

Vicodin probably

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Cohh is playing it now.

Everything looks the same as the original so far. Lighting is a bit better and perhaps some textures are a bit sharper? Been a while since I tried it last.

But the inventory (which I didn't like, far to many clicks) is the same. Skills appear to be the same. Even the intro title is "Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning" not "Re-Reckoning". No mention at all that they've done anything to adjust difficulty or any game systems.

Quite honestly not sure what they've done other than port the code to new systems to release it again. Apparently the "expansion" coming in 2021 is 5 hours of content as well, which if that is true is like a small faction questline in this game.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Will the new port / platform allow for any community modding? Not even sure if such a thing existed for the original version.

Xerge

<Donor>
As long as it has proper resolution support with a scaling UI -- that's really all that matters to me.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently this is what they did for the remaster (a partial(?) summarized list the devs put on their discord that I grabbed from Reddit):

• fov slider
  • sliders for the camera including camera smoothing, height and distance
  • increased stash size
  • very hard mode difficulty
  • fixed lvl locking of creatures so they are now closer to player lvl
  • 2K/60 on PS4 Pro and 4K/60 on Xbox One X
  • improved/redone lighting system
  • ability to equip 8 skills instead of 4 on console versions

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Apparently this is what they did for the remaster (a partial(?) summarized list the devs put on their discord that I grabbed from Reddit):

• fov slider
  • sliders for the camera including camera smoothing, height and distance
  • increased stash size
  • very hard mode difficulty
  • fixed lvl locking of creatures so they are now closer to player lvl
  • 2K/60 on PS4 Pro and 4K/60 on Xbox One X
  • improved/redone lighting system
  • ability to equip 8 skills instead of 4 on console versions

So, people who already own the original meh game get to pay for a minor patch? Wow.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Last edited:

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Still sounds great to me. While the lore was kind of forgettable (there was a lot of gay faerie stuff as I recall), I enjoyed the gameplay, skill trees, and amount of content in the game. The MSRP is $40, I see it on Amazon now for $33. Don't know what you expect for that.

If you really didn't like the original--from the game or Curt Schilling not living up to expectations or whatever reason--this probably won't change that.

Xerge

<Donor>
Grabbed my copy yesterday. I'm pretty sure the original didn't look this good. Fun to look at, UI scales really well, and combat is slick.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Grabbed my copy yesterday. I'm pretty sure the original didn't look this good. Fun to look at, UI scales really well, and combat is slick.
I think your memory of the original is off a bit. There's barely any different in actual graphics as far as textures and polygons go. All that really changed is the UI scaling, the camera (both FOV and it no longer tries to look at the ground all the time), there's what appears to be TAA added to the post-processing, and the lighting model is somewhat modernized. First two things are good changes for sure, but the original game was already soft and slapping a heavy vaseline filter on top of that looks pretty bad. Hopefully you can turn that off. Lighting looks... ok? I guess. There's also some minor stuff, like a bit more grass/ground clutter and some geometry changes here and there. All of which comes at a heavy performance cost compared to the original for no apparent reason.

Only reason I can see to buy this game even at $16 is if you played the original and really wanted to like it, but the unbelievably retarded design that level-locked areas when all you did was walk even slightly near the zone line ruined the entire game for you. Supposedly that shit is fixed finally and the game might actually be playable now.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
From what I've seen, they didn't do enough with the remaster to make it worth getting. If you loved the game and want some nostalgia, sure grab it. But it just wasn't a good enough game in my opinion to bother with it now.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Only reason I can see to buy this game even at $16 is if you played the original and really wanted to like it, but the unbelievably retarded design that level-locked areas when all you did was walk even slightly near the zone line ruined the entire game for you. Supposedly that shit is fixed finally and the game might actually be playable now.
Was just going to ask about this. The original was fun enough as a button masher, for sure. But the scaling thing basically turned the entire last part of the game into a complete slog, especially if you have severe OCD about clearing every quest.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The original doesn't even launch for me in Steam any longer. Starts up, blanks out, and while the game is still running, I cannot get a screen to stay popped up.

Xerge

<Donor>
I think your memory of the original is off a bit. There's barely any different in actual graphics as far as textures and polygons go. All that really changed is the UI scaling, the camera (both FOV and it no longer tries to look at the ground all the time), there's what appears to be TAA added to the post-processing, and the lighting model is somewhat modernized. First two things are good changes for sure, but the original game was already soft and slapping a heavy vaseline filter on top of that looks pretty bad. Hopefully you can turn that off. Lighting looks... ok? I guess. There's also some minor stuff, like a bit more grass/ground clutter and some geometry changes here and there. All of which comes at a heavy performance cost compared to the original for no apparent reason.

I think I was just drunk and overly excited about the game. All of the changes have been positives imo and I think the current ticket price offers a decent button mashing RPG experience. I feel like they (at the the time of the original) were trying to capitalize on the WoW gameplay model but in a single player world, works and it doesn't at times

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought this yesterday on the PS Store. Had 10% off on it so picked up the Fate Edition which apparently covers me for the add-on due to roll out which adds around 5 hours of gameplay.

I enjoyed this on the PS3 and don't think I'll regret my purchase. Was a fun game with a bunch of hidden stuff to do. If I get 30-40 hours out of it, probably more if I play a mage after rogue then I'll be happy.