Knights Of Badassdom - (Dinklage - Glau) finnally being released, but with drama

Goatface

link
Two years ago, Wrong Turn 2 director Joe Lynch got to show off his horror comedy Knights of Badassdom in Hall H at Comic-Con. The film follows a group of LARPers (Live-Action Role Players) who head out into the woods, end up doing a real spell, and accidentally summon a blood-thirsty demon. As the demon starts picking off LARPers, three friends (played by Ryan Kwanten, Steve Zahn, and Peter Dinklage) have to find a way to defeat the demon. The film also starred Summer Glau and Danny Pudi. The trailer looked hilarious, but then all news on the movie went quiet. It turns out, shady dealings from behind the scenes had taken the film away from Lynch, and that Wade Bradley, the owner of the production company IndieVest, had ?made his own 70 minute cut.? Lynch set up a website explaining the whole ordeal, but that site has now been taken down. Entertainment One (eOne) has now picked up the feature for theatrical and VOD distribution, but when reached for comment on Twitter about the deal, Lynch only responded ?Till I get a call? #NMC?. I?m assuming ?NMC? means ?Not My Cut?. I?m still interested in seeing the finished version, but it?s a depressing end for what looked like a promising feature.

Knights of Badassdom currently has no release date, but it will be released day-and-date in theaters and on VOD.
can not find a copy of what all was on the website, but did find this quote from it
?Mr. Bradley set about editing KoB independently and in violation of his contract with director Joe Lynch per the Directors Guild of America Creative Rights Handbook. The most recent edit is roughly 70 minutes long and includes significant changes to the original story and concept.?
old trailer

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have no idea why Summer Glau is in it, but the rest of the trailer seemed contextually relevant to the overall premise.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Who cares? I would slap my beanbag so hard against her butt cheeks that my nards would be shaped like pancakes.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Lightning Bolt part at the end of the Trailer cracked me up so hard, awesome oldschool scene.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Im sure there was a post on FOH predicting this movie was fucked the second it casted Summer Glau. I never look into curses but holy hell everything that girl has been linked to has been royally fucked

Siliconemelons

I wondered where this movie ran off to! it looked like a guilty pleasure fun to watch hope there are tits movie

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Im sure there was a post on FOH predicting this movie was fucked the second it casted Summer Glau. I never look into curses but holy hell everything that girl has been linked to has been royally fucked
That had better change with Arrow, if she curses that as well I'll be very disappointed, probably to the point where I post about it on an appropriate or not forum
frown.png

Xalara

Golden Squire
The real question is, which version is being released? There's the director's version and then there's the producer's "OMG I FUNDED THIS MOVIE SO THIS IS MY CUT" version. The director's version is apparently decent, the producer's is apparently terrible.

Szlia

For me the real question mark is how, after winning the casting lottery, is this move not out? I mean you cast a not so well known guy in a little production, and by the time you are done, the guy becomes very well known and loved for another work of his... tcha-ching! I guess there are in no hurry because it's not like people will forget Tyrion any time soon, but why wait on cashing in your winning lottery ticket?

Goatface

what i read, Brady head of the production company spent all the money and didn't have enough to finish it. there were some anonymous claims that he had ripped off some investors, but he denied it and said no one had ever made any offical claims against him. the director, Lynch posted on twitter the other day that it wasn't his cut.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Bit of a pisser, seems like a really fun movie. Can't support asshattery though.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61267

Nordling here.

I've been wanting to see KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM since it was announced. It's got Steve Zahn doing the "lightning bolt" thing, it's got Peter Dinklage, currently on a career high with his work on GAME OF THRONES, and it just looks fun as hell. That online trailer sold me. What can I say, I'm a geek for this kind of stuff. One of my most anticipated movies for SXSW this year is ZERO CHARISMA, a D&D-inspired comedy. Sure, it's nerdy as hell, but we live in a world run by nerds, geeks, and LARPers. Embrace the mystery.

The cast and director of KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM appeared at Comic-Con 2011 in Hall H to a very enthusiastic crowd eager to see their movie. Since then... nothing. The trailer got a lot of interest online, but then not a peep. It's been screened a few times, but never for journalists or the public. I remember talking to Joe Lynch at SXSW last year, excited for the movie, and he seemed excited to show it, but he was curiously silent on when it would finally make its way to the public. And now we know why.

According towww.badassdom.com, the movie has been taken away from Lynch and given a different edit, which would seem to violate the contract signed by Lynch and the production company. Wade Bradley, the CEO of IndieVest, the production company for KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM, is planning to screen the new edit this week. What once was a 90+ minute movie under Lynch's cut has become a truncated 70 minute version, and thus far Bradley has refused to allow Lynch to finish his work and edit the movie to his vision. Bradley has claimed that the movie went vastly overbudget (although he approved every spending invoice) and, if the anonymous writer of the Badassdom site is accurate, removed members of IndieVest who hepled promote and support Lynch's version of the film.

We here at Ain't It Cool News always support the director's vision over the producers, and if the report is accurate Lynch's movie is essentially being held hostage. Furthermore, the time is fast approaching when no one will be able to do anything about it. Once Bradley sells KNIGHTS TO BADASSDOM to a studio for distribution, Lynch will not have his final edit. Joe Lynch deserves better, the cast deserves better, and we as movie fans deserve better. Artists whenever possible should have first say over how their films are seen, and hopefully they'll win out this time.

Nordling, out.

iannis

Musty Nester
It seems like this sort of public squabbling would be a career killer. More for the director but for the producer too. I don't know if it is, just seems like it (sh/w)ould be.