Koh Samui Thailand

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Has anyone been? If so, any recommendation for a swanky hotel/resort besides The W and Four Seasons? I'm wary of Tripadvisor and other hotel reviews sites after some bad experiences, so before I book a hotel halfway around the world only to arrive and find out that the pictures online were taken 10 years ago, I'd like to vet this as much as possible. Looking for a five star resort.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Koh samui is a giant industrial tourist island. Go to koh phagnan or koh tao. Koh phagnan has several extremely secluded beaches that are absolutely gorgeous. Everyone I knew who went to koh samui said the same thing: its not nearly as good as the neighboring islands

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Koh samui is a giant industrial tourist island. Go to koh phagnan or koh tao. Koh phagnan has several extremely secluded beaches that are absolutely gorgeous. Everyone I knew who went to koh samui said the same thing: its not nearly as good as the neighboring islands
Pretty much this or any place that isn't extreme tourist place. Anyplace that has the super name brand hotels is gonna be tourist as shit and full of hookers and trannies.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
If you go there to lounge on the beach, Koh Samui is a big disappointment. The water and beach themselves is pretty clean, but god damn those beaches are small. The saving grace is there is a bit of a nightlife on Samui and you don't have to deal with Phuket's tuktuk mafia.

Beaches on Phagnan are better, but that's pretty much all there is to it really. Besides the absolute madness that is the full moon party if you end up there during that night.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
I stayed at Za ZenZazen Samui Resort samui Boutique Hotel at Zazen Boutique Resort and SpaWhat you expect for the price, staff, food, spa, all good stuff. Stayed in the beachfront deluxe bungalow. Its a private resort with private beach, so no people to annoy you or crowd you. Its a bit far from the town (a 10 minute cab ride). The beach was small with no waves, but i dont care about swimming. Also didnt explore the party or nightlife, so cant tell you about that.

Will also recommend anantara, they are always excellent and cant go wrong. koh samui location is good as phuket.Samui Resort | Official Site Anantara Bophut Resort Spa | Koh Samui Luxury ResortsSuggest private bungalow, excellent selection of cuban cigars + rum, relax in private pool. take a long a lady friend and have fun.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Samui is fine - I stayed there a few months chasing after a gal... but my recommendation would be to actually skip the Gulf altogether. I went back to Koh Tao and Phangnan a few years ago and the difference between what they were even 5-6 years ago and now is striking. Its a bitch to get to, but Koh Lipe is easily my favorite island in Thailand. It's down near Tarutao but its definitely worth the effort.

<--- lived in Thailand for a year. Have fun and see a ping pong show before you leave Bang bang.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was actually in Thailand five years ago, but all I saw was Bangkok and Phi Phi island. Phi Phi was ok, but I felt old and out of place as the average foreigner looked about 20 years old with the sole mission of getting wasted. There also wasn't much "luxury" available, though I was just with a friend so it wasn't that important to me.

I'm aware that Koh Samui is touristy, but unfortunately based on my research it's also the only island with any luxury resorts, with the exception maybe being Koh Chang. I'll be going with my GF and meeting a good friend from Melbourne along with his GF, so partying/nightlife isn't high on the list-- luxury, good food, and spa/facials for the girls to keep them out of me and my friends hair, is.

Splorge, thanks for the input. I actually had the Anantara resort on my list, just the "lawana" one rather then Bophut. This was the list of potential resorts I had come up with based on research:

1) Anantara Lawana resort and spa
2) Akaryn Koh Samui
3) Six Senses Koh Samui

Unless someone chimes in one somewhere else, I'll probably go for Splorege's Anantara suggestion. Just looking for someone who has actually been that understands what a five star resort should be by US standards. I've been to a few tripadvisor resorts that have gotten great reviews but were dumps--you quickly realize that some people's version of luxury is met by the simple existence of a bellhop.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Those are nice hotels, but they aren't world class or anything.... Thailand is a weird place for hotels and "resorts" - you can find very decent lodging for (well) under $200, and you can find really great places right at that # - but to get into the super luxe (aka what most would consider a true 5* experience) you pay out the ass. I believe the only genuine 5 star hotels in Thailand outside of BKK/Chiang Mai are in Phuket. The Banyan Tree is excellent from what I've heard, and I know from experience that the Andara is excellent as well (and a good deal cheaper than BT - but a lot more $$ than anything on Samui). The "5 star" hotels in Samui are nice though, but they aren't at that level really. The biggest thing though, is at the really nice/expensive places in Phuket you really don't ever leave the complex and it spoils you. Samui is a completely different type of island than Phuket and if it were my money I'd definitely opt for Samui over Phuket - the hotels aren't as nice, but its probably a better value overall.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Those are nice hotels, but they aren't world class or anything.... Thailand is a weird place for hotels and "resorts" - you can find very decent lodging for (well) under $200, and you can find really great places right at that # - but to get into the super luxe (aka what most would consider a true 5* experience) you pay out the ass. I believe the only genuine 5 star hotels in Thailand outside of BKK/Chiang Mai are in Phuket. The Banyan Tree is excellent from what I've heard, and I know from experience that the Andara is excellent as well (and a good deal cheaper than BT - but a lot more $$ than anything on Samui). The "5 star" hotels in Samui are nice though, but they aren't at that level really. The biggest thing though, is at the really nice/expensive places in Phuket you really don't ever leave the complex and it spoils you. Samui is a completely different type of island than Phuket and if it were my money I'd definitely opt for Samui over Phuket - the hotels aren't as nice, but its probably a better value overall.
Yeah, the fact that "5 star" is a relative term depending where in the world you are is the main reason I'm asking or help. Went to a "4 star" in Nevis that was highly reviewed on Tripadvisor and the place was a total dump. I have no doubt that the Four Seasons on Koh Samui is "true 5 star", but it's also $700 night and my experience with the Four Seasons is that you actually have to double your daily rate, as once you get the bill there will be extra charges for "breathing" and "walking". I'd be happy to get something for $400/night per room that's truly quality.. Would be great if I could find a hotel with a 2 bedroom private villa that can house all four of us for $800/night or so. Anantara has a droolirific one (Chaweng Villa Resort | Anantara Royal Lawana Pool Villa | Samui Luxury Hotel) but goddam it better look like the picture if I'm going to be paying 1K a night before drinks/meals/spa, etc.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Banyan Tree phuket is overpriced. It was probably lovely 15-20 years ago, but last time I stayed it was showing its age pretty badly. Unless they did a renovation recently I wouldn't recommend. Perhaps the Samui location is nicer, but if you are interested in this one try to find out the last time they renovated.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So after a ton of research we settled on Tongsai Bay Resort. The price was right, location is remote but supposedly not too way out there, and it has stellar reviews. Rented a pool villa which if it turns out like the pics should be an amazing time.. Going to spend two days in Chiang Mai, six days in Koh Samui, and the last few days in Bangkok.

Ethan_sl

shitlord
I have been stayed in "Silavadee Pool Spa Resort" during my trip. It is located on a secluded hill, overlooking the Gulf of Siam at the South East coast of the island, approximately 30 km. from the airport. I want to go there again befor mywashington dc bus toursin vacations.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just got back from the Tongsai Bay and it was better than I could possibly imagine. I've stayed at Four Seasons/Ritz all over the Carribbean/Mexico, and this placed made all of them feel like some commercial McDonalds. The level of service you get in Thailand when you're willing to pay US prices is simply mind blowing.