Kudos EA - Worst Company in America two years running

Dumar_sl

shitlord
EA hate is overblown. Bandwagon faggotry r us. Don't buy it if you don't like their previous products. My only regret to date is SimCity, but I barely buy any of their stuff. If you haven't bought their shit, why do you care? If you have, stop.
Are you an idiot? And I haven't bought an EA product in years. In fact, I actively pirate their games not to play them, just to pirate them.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
EA had nothing to do with this, nor would they ever do it. Amazon took the game off their site and wouldn't let folks buy it for a time (not sure if that is still in effect) because of all the customer service issues that arose out of it. EA's crowd control was giving those that purchased the game a free game from their origin service, which sounded fantastic at first until you found out they chose a list of about 3-4 old/shitty games no one gives a fuck all about.

Steve-o posted:

Completely and 100% incorrect.

You couldn't purchase the hard copies or the digital downloads. They were not puting the game back up for sale until EA figured out their shit. And I am not sure where all this Maxis took responsibility for it crap is coming from. There hasn't been a Maxis since the late 90's. It's EA with a rebrand and this is their latest coy attempt at deflecting their own retardation. Nothing more, nothing less. Which is why they most definitely deserved their honored award two years running.
It was off of Amazon for less than a day (just that afternoon) as the digital copy went from limited to standard. Hardly time for EA to 'figure out their shit'. Pretty sure the warning was up just prior too. You can link to hundreds of articles making the same headlines, I am sure everyone loved the traffic as the internet wallowed in this (Kotaku was posting article after article of 'You still can't play SimCity' while some of us were in IRC and doing just that), just as they're doing it again for this poll. Note that nobody has any confirmation from EA or Amazon that it was pulled for any reason, just the assumption it was for the issues - while there's room for doubt depending on which way you're leaning it's hardly '100% incorrect'.

As for the Maxis stuff, the head of Maxis is where people are getting that from:http://simcitizens.com/maxis-takes-f...twitter-recap/

Agraza

Registered Hutt
In fact, I actively pirate their games not to play them, just to pirate them.
And you ask if I'm an idiot. This is unbelievable. I mean that literally. It cannot be believed. You don't do this. If you do then you're worse off than I thought.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
EA hate is overblown. Bandwagon faggotry r us. Don't buy it if you don't like their previous products. My only regret to date is SimCity, but I barely buy any of their stuff. If you haven't bought their shit, why do you care? If you have, stop.
It's an easy answer. We care because we think that if EA was a better company OR didn't purchase these development groups we'd have higher quality bioware/maxis/etc games.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I guess that was a weak argument to make.

In any case, they're going to make whatever the market allows them to make. If making shit is worth millions, they will make shit forever. This isn't a problem with X company, it's systemic. In lieu of EA making shit products everyone buys, someone else will. A demand exists to be supplied, and they're doing it. EA is just representative of that supply at the moment. They're being rational. Their perpetually disgruntled return customers are not.

People cried the same way about Micro$oft, and Apple is the same sack of shit, but they market themselves as iShit and some love it.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yea, I guess that was a weak argument to make.

In any case, they're going to make whatever the market allows them to make. If making shit is worth millions, they will make shit forever. This isn't a problem with X company, it's systemic. In lieu of EA making shit products everyone buys, someone else will. A demand exists to be supplied, and they're doing it. EA is just representative of that supply at the moment. They're being rational. Their perpetually disgruntled return customers are not.

People cried the same way about Micro$oft, and Apple is the same sack of shit, but they market themselves as iShit and some love it.
So it's ok for companies like EA to do dick shit to make profit but if someone spills a bit of oil so that you can fuel your faggot-mobile then they're evil. It's ok for EA to do dick shit to make profit but if someone finds some legal loopholes and forecloses on a few houses of people you have never met (and will never meet) then they're evil.

Still not sure how Monsanto is evil for not having to label food or w/e? Afraid they might be loading up your vegan homo-nutrients with dead baby animal parts without you knowing?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Monsanto is making genetically modified foodstuffs. Some people are leery because of that.

I don't see a huge difference between direct manipulation and standard hybridisation that's existed since Mendel personally however - and hybrid breeds haven't needed to be labelled historically. (I.E. name the last variety of lemon you used, there's at least 20 variants of just Meyer lemons alone!) Makes sense to me they're treated the same under the law.

Especially considering they're not actively trying to make poison, yet a few modern hybrid plant breeds were spliced from a poisonous breed on one side!

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I didn't mention Oil/Seeds/Banking did I? Wielding power over food, shelter, or fuel is quite a bit different than making digital entertainment, and I'm not interested in discussing them in relation to one another. This shit is a luxury, not a necessity. Fucking white people problems.

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So it's ok for companies like EA to do dick shit to make profit but if someone spills a bit of oil so that you can fuel your faggot-mobile then they're evil. It's ok for EA to do dick shit to make profit but if someone finds some legal loopholes and forecloses on a few houses of people you have never met (and will never meet) then they're evil.

Still not sure how Monsanto is evil for not having to label food or w/e? Afraid they might be loading up your vegan homo-nutrients with dead baby animal parts without you knowing?
Please go on. Your knowledge of current events is astounding. What else have we learned from theblaze.com today?

By the way you just compared people feeling nerd rage from their butthurt feelings about games to people losing their house for serving in the military. You sir win the little dick award of the century.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/k...-ea-dissention

First part is relevant. Bioware and Maxis were at fault for what for what happened to their franchises; the story being shit(ME3, Casey Hudson) and the simulation algorithms being the laziest pieces of shit ever(SC5) were entirely the developers fault and didn't have much to do with EA being the publisher. EA is definitely not the worst company in America.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/k...-ea-dissention

First part is relevant. Bioware and Maxis were at fault for what for what happened to their franchises; the story being shit(ME3, Casey Hudson) and the simulation algorithms being the laziest pieces of shit ever(SC5) were entirely the developers fault and didn't have much to do with EA being the publisher. EA is definitely not the worst company in America.
EA IS Maxis; Maxis IS EA. There is no difference.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
America has spoken and it wants a new NFL simulator/game. Its trendy to act angry at a little spilled oil and ground up baby parts in your chicken, but lets be real, you don't mess with football/video games as long as EA has and get away with it. There is no salvation for the millions that have been dupped into thinking the next Madden would actually improve on anything. EA makes Fox News look like Wayne Brady and their crimes must be punished.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Monsanto is making genetically modified foodstuffs. Some people are leery because of that.

I don't see a huge difference between direct manipulation and standard hybridisation that's existed since Mendel personally however - and hybrid breeds haven't needed to be labelled historically. (I.E. name the last variety of lemon you used, there's at least 20 variants of just Meyer lemons alone!) Makes sense to me they're treated the same under the law.

Especially considering they're not actively trying to make poison, yet a few modern hybrid plant breeds were spliced from a poisonous breed on one side!
The big difference is that you can hold patents to GM plants and actively prevent other people from reselling their seeds, while they simultaneously managed to divorce themselves of any responsibility in case those plants are found out to increase cancer risk or whatever. The whole idea that you can patent genetic code is about as ludicrous as patenting a mathematical equation, especially when replicating both endlessly is something very common. It doesn't even have to be a whole organism, some people patented parts of human genome that increases risk of breast cancer to prevent others from researching it and possibly inventing competitive cure.

Reading about bullshit like that makes me happy to live in EU, there seems to be a bit more common sense involved.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Monsanto is the fucking devil and Bank of America is like the son they always wanted. The BF uses Bank of America, even knowing it's practices and just on a general level they're fucking idiots. We live and work in the San Fran area, and anytime a purchase is made for more than 50$ it shuts off our fucking platinum card to reduce theft. Yea, on the one hand that's fucking awesome, our shit won't get stolen. On the other hand, do some god damn research. It's always in the same areas we go out to eat at/shop/get our entertainment at but they just shut it off. Absolutely embarrassing.

As far as EA, EA didn't tell anyone to stop selling SimCity, but they *did* ask people to stop actively advertising it. This means no digital ads anywhere, anyplace with standees had to take them down etc. And yea, that occurred after amazon started issuing refunds, when they realized they weren't going to be able to fix the servers fast enough to appease people.

Someone mentioned Blizzard earlier; that company is autonomous within the activision structure. The studios that EA have absorbed were doing poorly at the time of acquisition; after they acquired them some of them managed to bring out a decent product, while others just completely flopped. EA has stupid guidelines, but it's hard to say what sort of effect they had on the small studios they bought out.

Blizzard doesn't answer to activision other than golfing with the CEO. (That's exaggeration, but it's unfair to compare Blizzard to the majority of failing studios that EA bought up, since Blizzard was doing outstanding at the time of the merger and was able to remain their own boss, generally speaking. Rather, you can't say, well Activision didn't shit on Blizzard! They don't do shit with that studio, so it's just not accurate. You can still feel free to take EA to task for the other studios, but even then it's probably going to be unfair. I can't recall any studio doing exceptionally well when EA went after them, so the chances that the product that they produce was already what they were working on, well.)

Anyways, that poll is retarded, and even knowing the blah, blah, blah about the wheres and the whys that the poll was made, it still makes you fucking sick. You do probably have to go into it knowing that it's a tech and gaming forum, and that's probably going to be the majority of the users, but even then I really wish the people who had voted had shown a bit more intelligence.

However, when Peter Moore fucking responded to the vote saying it was all homophobes and people who hated the mass effect 3 ending, there was a silent scream in my head. I love a good bit of their titles but you just cannot ignore the amount of douchebaggery they dole out to the customers. Fuck that company. (Not more than Monsanto and BoA but still.)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It was off of Amazon for less than a day (just that afternoon) as the digital copy went from limited to standard. Hardly time for EA to 'figure out their shit'. Pretty sure the warning was up just prior too. You can link to hundreds of articles making the same headlines, I am sure everyone loved the traffic as the internet wallowed in this (Kotaku was posting article after article of 'You still can't play SimCity' while some of us were in IRC and doing just that), just as they're doing it again for this poll. Note that nobody has any confirmation from EA or Amazon that it was pulled for any reason, just the assumption it was for the issues - while there's room for doubt depending on which way you're leaning it's hardly '100% incorrect'.

As for the Maxis stuff, the head of Maxis is where people are getting that from:http://simcitizens.com/maxis-takes-f...twitter-recap/
Ok you realize Maxis no longer exists. Itdoes notexist. If EA is trying to keep their name out of it, it wouldn't surprise me if they resurrect the name for a week or so to deflect. So, please stop. It's this type of confusion EA banks on.

Type Subsidiary of Electronic Arts
Industry Computer and video games
Interactive entertainment
Founded 1987 (as Maxis Software)
Founder(s) Will Wright
Jeff Braun
Headquarters Emeryville, California, USA
Owner(s) Electronic Arts
Parent Electronic Arts
Websitehttp://www.maxis.com/
It is a label, nothing more. Everyone here reports to EA. EA makes their decisions. EA funds the label. In cases such as this major mess up, this way they can point to the label and try to deflect from themselves. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. They are not the seperate entity with EA publishing their games they once were. I know you know this. I am not sure if you have an agenda, maybe you work for the organization, or trolling. One of the three.

With that said, the digitial versions (And retail) versions of the game were pulled as stated by Amazon because the product was unusable and unplayable.This is what they saidnot some internet site reporting on it. The games were offline for more than just an afternoon.

Ok nevermind after replying to that and reading back it is obvious you are trolling. Good show sir.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Their development team still has a lot of creative pull. Blizzard was a subsidiary of Vivendi after it was a subsidiary of someone else. Now it's technically a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, but that's pretty much a shell at the moment that may or may not develop its own identity ala EA. So where is all the Vivendi hate? If it didn't exist the subsidiary wouldn't exist. The degree of their freedom to operate within the parent's control is open to argument, but without input from multiple insiders it's all bullshit speculation.