Lamplighters League (1930's Xcom) by HBS, devs of Battletech and Shadowrun

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Timing is shit, too. Even included with Gamepass, there's too many other things I'd rather play right now. Paying $50 is just not happening

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I really enjoyed Battletech. It felt a little janky, but once I settled into it was great fun. There are some really good mods out there to introduce a ton of extra mechs, weapons, vehicles, and just bring it closer to tabletop in general.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this falls games lineup is pretty nuts - I have this downloaded from gamepass but haven't opened it yet as there are just too many other games to play atm. Looks pretty cool though and really like the setting.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I tried it. It's good enough. I've just never enjoyed any of these as much as XCOM 2. I may fire this up again over the winter, but it didn't hook me after the night I played.

Fadaar

That guy
Bought on Steam so more chance of Battletech or Shadowrun in the future.

I'd fuckin kill for another Battletech, or at least a miracle patch that makes the game not run like ass ESPECIALLY the ridiculous load times.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Battletech. It felt a little janky, but once I settled into it was great fun. There are some really good mods out there to introduce a ton of extra mechs, weapons, vehicles, and just bring it closer to tabletop in general.

BTA 3062 or RogueTech and it's basically a whole new game the way it's meant to be played. Just wish the performance wasn't complete and utter dogshit, all the same issues that Star Wars: Empire at War has.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I really like the game and it's a great tactics Xcom type and quite challenging. That having been said the extreme problems with corrupted saves, crashes, and lock-ups have not done this title any favors.

I'd wager that quite a few people got it via GamePass, but the Steam reviews and concurrent players is the primary metric even for GamePass titles. It's a very crowded field at the moment and even on GamePass there are a couple of big releases there which have diverted attention for the target audience.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it's definitely something I'm interested in but with Starfield -> Cyberpunk PL -> Lords of the Fallen -> Alan Wake 2 etc. I couldn't even find time for Lies of P let alone this. By the time I do take a break from the action games to play something more strategic Persona 5 Tactica will be out and that's 99.999995% guaranteed to be better than this.

They should have taken a few more months to polish this up and fix the bugs and shitty performance instead of dumping a half-assed release right in the middle of the most busy time of the year.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Layoffs confirmed. Hope this doesn't mean no new Battletech. ;(

uh...

One person claiming to be a former employee of the studio said on the megafaggot forums that roughly 80% of the studio's employees had been laid off in July

If true that's much worse than just 'project was a disappointment' layoffs, that's a studio in danger of being closed. Which I guess would be familiar territory for Weisman considering the trail of wreckage he's left in his wake over the years. I bet even Wizkids would have gone bankrupt if he hadn't sold it before that could happen.

As for another Battletech, maybe by 2026 at the soonest assuming A) the studio doesn't get shut down and B) he still has a licensing agreement in place with Microsoft.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried it. It's good enough. I've just never enjoyed any of these as much as XCOM 2. I may fire this up again over the winter, but it didn't hook me after the night I played.
Did you try Jagged Alliance 3? It's about as close to Xcom 2 gameplay out of anything that has come out recently, but different enough to be it's own thing/system.

I also like some of the lesser graphics games like Xenonauts, but it certainly lacks the polish of Xcom 1/2.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
Yea jagged alliance 3 is great. Running multiple squads and fortifying tactical locations and towns is something I wanted in xcom

• 1Like

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Dang, I would love another Battletech too. I got 300+ hours out of the first one. Seems unlikely at this point though.

• 1Like

Burns

uh...

If true that's much worse than just 'project was a disappointment' layoffs, that's a studio in danger of being closed. Which I guess would be familiar territory for Weisman considering the trail of wreckage he's left in his wake over the years. I bet even Wizkids would have gone bankrupt if he hadn't sold it before that could happen.

As for another Battletech, maybe by 2026 at the soonest assuming A) the studio doesn't get shut down and B) he still has a licensing agreement in place with Microsoft.
Stayin alive, for now:

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
  • 1Like

Burns

Yeah more Battletech (or Shadowrun) seems even more unlikely since Paradox is keeping the rights to Battletech 2018 and the three Shadowrun games
That's unfortunate. I liked the Shadowrun games and would have loved to see it expanded into a more fleshed out/longer RPG. There are always other IPs to adapt through.

Qhue

Trump's Staff

and that's a wrap for the Lamplighter's League. Shame as I think the setting and overall gameplay is great, but it did not catch on.

• 2Like