Laptop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a 160gb SSD in the 2 year old laptop I'm currently using that the Lenovo would replace. My hope is, since I don't need the 1TB of space, is to swap the HDD for my SSD, and make it an even better system.

Edit: Good to know it's a good deal. I wanted to get a new laptop before Christmas, and it looks like that one may be it. Great specs, at a solid price. Wish there were some MS Store promo codes out there to make it even cheaper.
frown.png

Edit2: How do laptops these days deal with all the heat from SLI video cards? That seems like a lot of junk to pack into a laptop chassis, and not run into problems.

Crone

Anyone have experience with ibuypower? A good friend stands by their stuff and has bought desktops and laptops from them that have worked really well. I think I have a bad taste in my mouth for these Alienware shoot offs, because of well Alienware, and remembering how bad pre-built desktops were back in the day.

It seems though they've gotten better?

I ask, because if I don't go with that Lenovo Y510p deal, I wanted to look at some 17 inch laptops, and have no idea where to start.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doesn't ibuypower build custom desktops though? Alienwares model was always to give high priced gaming machines with them appearing to be custom but really aren't. A lot of my friends have had good results with that site.

Crone

Doesn't ibuypower build custom desktops though? Alienwares model was always to give high priced gaming machines with them appearing to be custom but really aren't. A lot of my friends have had good results with that site.
They do both. There are a lot of them out there, cyber power. Ibuypower. Xoticpc.

I customized a laptop at Xoticpc that matched that Lenovo deal and it was coming in over $1400.

I gamed over the weekend on a friends a ibuypower laptop and it was decent. A little older so the one I'd customize would be better yet.

Tough choices because I want a screaming deal, but worry I would eventually get mad not going with a 17 inch screen.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am thinking about going down to a 14 in screen from 17 inch but am concerned that I wouldn't be able to stand it, I've had a 17 in laptop for gaming for years now but it is showing its age and needs to get replaced. Have any of y'all done something similar and regret it?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had a 17" laptop for a few years now, and while I'm ok when using other 15.6" laptops, I definitely start to feel that the screens are WAY too small when I go down to 14 or 13.3" screens.

That being said, I also have 2 27" desktop monitors, so I tend to favor bigass displays, lol.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Buy the much cheaper 14" lenovo. With the savings buy a 24-27" monitor with HDMI.

spronk

FPS noob
Anyone have experience with ibuypower? A good friend stands by their stuff and has bought desktops and laptops from them that have worked really well. I think I have a bad taste in my mouth for these Alienware shoot offs, because of well Alienware, and remembering how bad pre-built desktops were back in the day.
i bought an ibuypower PC because I'm getting too old for putting shit together myself, ending up a bleeding mess screaming at a case because I put in a part upside down or whatever. PC is working fine a year later, build quality is pretty solid with nice cable routing, foam padding, etc. Not sure I'd trust them on laptops, seems the kinda shit you'd want robots in a factory to put together not guys in an office room.

The only bad thing about ibp is that they completely lie about delivery times, especially around these holiday times. When I ordered my PC I was told delivery in 2 weeks, it ended up being closer to 7 weeks. This was for a $3k pc too that was pretty much stock with one of their pre-bundle configs, nothing weird or anything. So if you are ok with looooong wait times its good.

Crone

PayPal didn't want to give me 6 months interest free financing so I'm actually going to wait on it. Was ready to rock a $2k laptop though from them. Haha

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
budget is $500, I might toss in another $100, but my Aunt needs a new laptop. No gaming at all.

Crone

budget is $500, I might toss in another $100, but my Aunt needs a new laptop. No gaming at all.
Check staples and the toshiba laptops. There are coupon codes to knock another $100 off. Think I saw i5 processor, 15 inch screen for $360.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Any notable cyber Monday deals for a decent work laptop? Girlfriend is a teacher and hers is dying. It needs to have a VGA out to hook up to the projector at work, though I feel like the last time I had a laptop with a VGA out was 2007.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Lenovo Y 410 and/or Y 510 is in that price range all year around.

Word

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Need some help on getting my dad a laptop. Below is what I'm looking to have in it:

1) Windows 7 (or how hard is it to remove the silly Windows 8 Tiles and revert the look to W7)
2) Hook up to a TV (HDMI)
3) Bigger screen as he is older

Hoping not to spend more then 600.

Thanks guys!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Need some help on getting my dad a laptop. Below is what I'm looking to have in it:

1) Windows 7 (or how hard is it to remove the silly Windows 8 Tiles and revert the look to W7)
2) Hook up to a TV (HDMI)
3) Bigger screen as he is older

Hoping not to spend more then 600.

Thanks guys!
Got my brother in law the Lenovo g500 on Black Friday for $400. Check it out, might still be on sale.

On w8 there's a button to open the desktop so it looks just like w7