Laptop Computers

Saban_sl

shitlord
I noticed my Lenovo did not come with any sort of windows cd, or any discs at all. This kinda has me worried about what im supposed to do if something ever goes wrong or when it comes time for a reformat?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What do you guys think of this laptop for my girlfriend? She's been living off a little netbook since 2009. Only game she's been able to play is Heroes of Might and Magic 2. I've wanted to get her a slightly larger real laptop capable of basic gaming so I've been on the hunt for a Haswell 14" with the HD4600 at a reasonable price. Found the new Lenovo Z410 with an i3 for 469 after discounts. Her only sitpulation is it being able to run Civ5 (I love her) Opinions on the haswell integrated performance, from my research the HD4600 is quite solid should be able to let her game a bit.

http://shop.lenovo.com/usstudents/us...z-series/z410/

Model with i3-4000m 6gb ram
Bought the laptop for 469, took a few days to show up girlfriend has had it since Thursday. She loves it so far, likes the 14" size, and I'm thoroughly impressed by the performance. Apparently the i3 Haswell matches my i5 Sandybridge in CPU performance and is stellar for graphics. Has no problem playing Civ 5 on a mix of medium and low settings. It also pulled off 2+ hours on battery playing the game. ~5hrs of battery life during normal non-gaming usage.

It's still a gloss screen like my Y470, but its somehow much lower reflectivity. At first I thought it was Matte finish. My current respect for Lenovo laptops continues. For anyone more serious about gaming I would still lean towards the Y series, but the Z series is definitely an option for a lower cost system with some pretty viable game performance.

I also just ordered an optical drive harddrive caddy for myself. Gonna drop an 128gb Crucial M4 I have sitting around into mine, use the 500gb as data drive.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I noticed my Lenovo did not come with any sort of windows cd, or any discs at all. This kinda has me worried about what im supposed to do if something ever goes wrong or when it comes time for a reformat?
They put it on a partition, and worst comes to worst you can download a windows recovery cd from microsoft for whatever version you have. YOu should have an OEM serial number somewhere and that's all you need.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
So I have a Dell laptop I got for $300...it does ok nothing special.

Is there any sort of decent gaming laptop (not amazing, like Mechwarrior Online playable) for a reasonable price?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What do you consider reasonable? You can get some 15.6 and 17" laptops with dedicated graphics cards that are decent starting in the $600-$700 price range, although those are probably going to be 1600x900 screens at best. 1080p is going to cost a couple hundred more with a dedicated graphics card.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
anyone tried the new Chromebooks?

apparently they are the #1 and #2 sellers these holidays. im thinking of getting one

Silence_sl

shitlord
anyone tried the new Chromebooks?

apparently they are the #1 and #2 sellers these holidays. im thinking of getting one
I was going to try one until I found a Toshiba 15.6 LCD with dual core Ivy Bridge Celeron (1.8 GHz), 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD for $230....vastly better than Chromebook in every respect, even comes with Shitware 8.1.

sole

Molten Core Raider
Silence do you have a link to that laptop? I'm currently looking for one and don't want to spend more than $400 on it. I've been looking atthis one from Staplesand I like the 6gigs of ram and 720gb HDD. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone here have a newer Macbook Pro with the built in SSD or the Air? I would really like to know how you deal with the small SSD size. I am currently looking for a new laptop and have decided on a Mac since I prefer a POSIX/LSB based laptop and Windows just isn't cutting it anymore with Cygwin. Also Linux desktops are really just not up to snuff for everyday use.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I have a latest model air. I bumped up the SSD to 512GB and in 5 months of use I've never run into any issues with storage.

I think 512Gb is plenty, but I archive off things like movies and music to shares on a NAS drive and seldom need to have them actually on the laptop.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
In the market for a gaming laptop, budget of about $1000->$1200. I know it won't be bleeding edge for that price, just working within my budget. Any advice is appreciated.

The specs on this look too good to be true for the price, I have to be missing something.

Newegg.com - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Notebook Windows 8

Found some benchmarks for the laptop, Crysis 3 on high @ 52fps, Bioshock Infinite on high @ 94fps, Skyrim on ultra @ 60fps.

Pretty sick numbers for a $1k laptop.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah it is a really nice gaming laptop. Just make sure you get the sli version and not the regular one. Don't think I will ever get another gaming laptop though.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Lenovo Y series is the way to go unless you're going for a full mobile desktop replacement which will be much more expensive.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Done and done. Went with the 16GB memory version for an extra $80. Looking around online, that's what 2x8GB laptop kits were going for, so why not?

Should be here Friday, super stoked.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Got the Lenovo y510p, its great. Newb question though:

Whats the best way to get the longest life out of the battery? Should I let it drain to nearly zero and then plug it in just long enough to fill up, then unplug again? I tend to keep it plugged in while gaming because that chews the battery up very quickly.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I truly couldn't say. A buddy told me to let it drain to .1%, then fully recharge, repeat a few times, but I honestly never plan on unplugging mine, I can just see this thing chewing a battery apart while gaming.

As for mine, I'm absolutely loving it. I cannot believe how shit hot Battlefield 4 looks on this. For the price, no gaming laptop on Earth can touch it. Best purchase I ever made.