Laptop Computers

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lithium ion batteries don't have any special quirks that you need to do anything special like that charghing/discharging process to extend their life. That repeated charge/discharge process might help windows make a better battery life prediction, maybe, but that's just speculation on my part.

However, they have a little bit of protection circuitry built into the battery to make sure they aren't discharged too much, i.e. they'll report back to the computer that they're "fully discharged" slightly before they really are. Apparently if their voltage drops too low (from being too discharged) the chemical reaction changes and causes permanent damage. So if you do discharge one "all the way", you should probably charge it back up first before you put it on a shelf for months.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Ah ok cool, thanks for the info. Would +1 if I could.

Also, I have an oldschool 42 inch Sony Bravia 1080 HDTV. Has anyone tried hooking up their y510p via HDMI to such a display? Would be cool to plug in a controller and play on the laptop and have it display to my TV. I don't have the SLI version of the y510p though. I got a holiday deal on the single 755m version for like $800.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
You can get another graphics card for your ultrabay if I am not mistaken.
Sadly, I think he's fucked. From what I've read on Lenovo forums if you get a single card configuration, neither the mobo or the PSU will support the second card/SLI.

That said if someone did happen to have the SLI ready Y510P but only 1 card, it's crazy fucking expensive to upgrade. An Ultrabay 750M card + the necessary upgraded AC/power supply kit can go for $400.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Well, I'm not too concerned about video power TBH, the single card works great so far for the type of gaming I'll be doing for the next few years (busy-ass engineering student). It runs DayZ in 1080p like a champ and that's pretty much the most graphic intensive thing I'll be running. Im not a graphics whore, I just dont like playing on the lowest settings so Im quite happy.

Was just curious to know if the laptop can handle the larger display with no problems. I wouldn't necessarily be gaming on the TV (maybe a little), but more just interwebs browsing and movies.

Salshun_sl

shitlord

Salshun_sl

shitlord
if you are having issues with the track pad and windows 8.1 this may help.. even with this i still hear good reviews with this being the only con
Solutions for the y510p trackpad [x-post from r/Lenovo] : SuggestALaptop
I solved that problem like I'm sure 99% of laptop users did:

41+cyeIQuSL.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For batteries if you truly want to save it, just take it out if you aren't charging it and are running on power. Batteries degrade with every discharge, and can only handle so many before the battery is useless. On the flipside you can find replacements on amazon (non-OEM) for like $30-50 so it's not a big deal.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Anyone have any experience loading Ubuntu on a Chromebook? I searched and couldn't find anything here. I am looking at a laptop for school and I want something super cheap but also lightweight and I need to be able to load apps on it. So I had ruled the Chromebooks out for that reason, but then a friend turned me on to the idea that you can just boot them into developer mode and load Linux on them. I am very seriously considering this but I don't know anyone who has actually done it.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also, I have an oldschool 42 inch Sony Bravia 1080 HDTV. Has anyone tried hooking up their y510p via HDMI to such a display? Would be cool to plug in a controller and play on the laptop and have it display to my TV.
Outputting through HDMI is not a problem. It will not effect your FPS or refresh rate unless your max resolution on the laptop is less the 1920x1080. In that case, if the laptops max res is lower it will decrease the refresh rate when it plays on the TV.

I plug my M17x into my TV via HDMI all the time with no issues.

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
so ... lets say i have a panisonic tough book that needs to stay on for a long time yet the room has no power outlets.. is my best bet to but several batteries? or is there portable power source i can buy ?