Laptop Computers

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm not terribly familiar with Laptops but I've got a friend who is looking to buy one in the $600-$800 price range. He'd prefer an ASUS but I'm sure if I could find one as good or better than ASUS he'd go with it. Can anyone give some suggestions or point me somewhere I could look without much hassle?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Can anyone recommend a good 17" cooling pad? Mine sounds like it's shooting craps.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can anyone recommend a good 17" cooling pad? Mine sounds like it's shooting craps.
What's the point of those cooling pads? (Besides a waste of money)

If your laptop is overheating with normal use, then its defective.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The one I have (this one) does a reasonable job of keeping air moving around my Alienware M17xR2. I got it when the laptop started having issues with the CFX video card configuration, which is a known issue with these systems, and it helped enough that the overheating stopped for quite a while.

Of course, it ended up being a heat sink issue in the end, so all this was was a band-aid, but it did help for some time.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
quick question, is it possible the amd ati radeon 5450 mobility is a tiny little bit of an utter shit chip?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Probably going to pick up a reasonably priced gaming laptop within the next couple weeks, more than likely one of the Lenovos. Anyone know if they ever do cyber Monday / black Friday sales or should I not worry about it?

Edit: Well, it looks like they're having a sale on the 15" Y series now, which is convenient. Although newegg has theY70 Touch for $1300which is only like $100 more than the 15" Y50 I was looking at. Ugh. Don't actually know if I WANT a bigger laptop to deal with.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If it isn't moving around much, I can't honestly see why the Y70 wouldn't be a better buy. If you do a bunch of travelling, sure, smaller makes more sense.

Obvious question that will invalidate this opinion completely: Gonna use a monitor with it at home?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Probably not a monitor, no. Will occasionally get plugged into the TV I imagine. Primarily, I expect most of the use to be by my wife, on the couch, which makes the smaller one better. And when I use it it will probably be on the go. I do like the bigger screen I'm just not sure I am willing to put up with it. On the other hand, looking at my options, I'd be paying ~$150 more for the bigger screen AND it's a touch screen which I'm sure my wife would love.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I was looking at the Lenovo Y40 and 50's. I like the price but all the reviews say they have shit screens.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you're not going with a monitor, IMO, I'd go with the bigger screen, for a few reasons (some of which you've mentioned):

1. The specs are pretty much the same except for the screen. You're not losing anything by going bigger except a few bucks.
2. Touch screen, as you mentioned. I don't care for them, but if you or your wife do, this should be a game changer.
3. Yes, it's a larger screen -- but also a better screen, or so reviews seem to indicate (see, for example,Lenovo Y70 Touch: Great Performance, Bargain Price).

Seems open and shut to me.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
To follow up on my statement that all the reviews of the Lenovo Y50 say it has a shit screen....turns out the screen is uber simple to replace and you get get a top notch IPS replacement screen for $90 or so.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I decided to give the Lenovo Yoga 14 a try. Got it a few hours ago. The screen is excellent. There are several laptops that I was interested in, but so many of them have crap screens. Even the QHD models have problems with displaying yellow correctly, so I'm very happy with this one. Keyboard is excellent as well. Got it at Best Buy. Quad core i5, 8GB RAM, 16gb SSD and 1TB spinner, 840m graphics with 2gb. Price was $1099 with price guarantee thru January 15th. I took out the 1tb drive and put in a spare 240gb SSD I had laying around.

It's not the cheapest nor does it have the highest specs, but I wanted a quality product. So far it fits the bill.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...=960&keys=keys

Saban_sl

shitlord
any educated guesses on when lenovo will replace the Y50? I have a y510p and its still going strong but i might replace it next year sometime.