Laptop Computers

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Picked up aAsus G751, since chances are good I'm going to be moving around a lot next year. Plus it replaces my current desktop.

Even so, still feel guilty because it's not exactly cheap.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Solid purchase. I have the first generation of that laptop (g73) and it has lasted me like 4 years, although it's getting to be time to put her down.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a laptop here with its power switch inside on the keyboard. So when the lid is closed, it can't be pressed.
Anyone here have any experience operating such a laptop with the lid closed while connected to an external display (hdmi) ?

it's a 2 year old Acer

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I have a laptop here with its power switch inside on the keyboard. So when the lid is closed, it can't be pressed.
Anyone here have any experience operating such a laptop with the lid closed while connected to an external display (hdmi) ?

it's a 2 year old Acer
I use my HP like that, connected to a TV. Same thing with the power button. I leave it on most of the time, but when I do have to shut it off (to clean it, to move things around, whatever), I have to open it to press the power button. I suppose Wake On LAN would work too, but I've never bothered.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't think I've ever owned or use a laptop that didn't have it's power button placed to where you had to open it to turn it on/off. Are laptops with power buttons on the sides(like phones/tablets) actually common?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The HP I have has that, so I can turn it on with the lid closed. I haven't bought any other yet

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Picked up aAsus G751, since chances are good I'm going to be moving around a lot next year. Plus it replaces my current desktop.

Even so, still feel guilty because it's not exactly cheap.
We're close to replacing my wife's 'just play wow' laptop (ASUS k53t w/ a breaking hinge) with one of these so that obviously it can be used for lot more than that, lol. Have a LAN in January I'd love to just leave my case at home for. Really looking forward to placing the order, just holding out for a little discount or something I think given the time of the year.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Any major differences between Asus and Acer when it comes to monitors? I'm trying to pick one up for my laptop, which is Asus, but Asus is always a bit more expensive. Would I get noticeably better (visual) quality and compatibility with Asus?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone recommend a good ultrabook for a linux distro? Want something where everything works and that I won't have to go looking for drivers on obscure websites.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Hey guys, I need a recommendation for a laptop for my wifes old man. All he does is his web surfing shit, maybe fuck with some pictures. Not much more than that. His budget is $300-500. But I want to get him something snappy and that will last a while so he does not come whining that his shit is slow and broken. Im kind of out of the loop on the whole laptop thing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I would get him a chromebook. Really simple, boots up in seconds, not susceptible to viruses, everything is in the cloud and it's cheap as hell. If he really needs storage for pictures or whatever else he can get an external hard drive or probably even a flash stick or two.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How bout just a regular laptop wise? I dont think I can sell him on a chromebook. I know its ultimately what he needs, but I dont think he will buy into it. Hes a stubborn old man.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Do not ever try and get family/relatives/etc to use any OS that isn't what they are already used to. You're just signing yourself up for a few years of shitty tech support phone calls.

300-500$ mostly means no SSD, so no matter what you get it's gonna be mostly "slow" compared to something like a chromebook/tablet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Lenovos are great in that price range and have a pretty good build quality.

I got my brother-in-law a G500 or something last year for around $500 and I think it had an i5 and other decent specs. Would last for many years for just browsing/email/music.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There's no tech support on ChromeOS. You just literally turn on the computer and start the browser and that's all there is.

Myst

Peasant
Which Asus or MSI gaming laptop would you guys go for with a budget of 1500$? Trying to help my brother in law make the right decision. Purely for gaming, won't be travelling that much, so weight is not an issue.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I ended up getting him a Dell Inspiron i3, 4 gb ram, 500gb Hd, win7, DvD drive 15.6" screen. $399 normally $550

The win 7 was great because he had that in his last laptop and I dont have to sit there for hours banging my head against the table trying to teach him the differences of win 8 or chrome for that matter.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ok so after fucking with the new laptop for a while, its nice, pretty peppy for a solid internet machine, but man, coming off my 2 PCs with SSD's its slow as molasses. Thats probably one thing I would change on this laptop right away if it was mine, install a 256GB SSD.

But for the wife's old man its perfect and way faster than his 2007 Dell with a dual core pentium and 2gigs ram.