Laptop Computers

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I keep coming back to Alienware, but how about the15 R2 (3rd option)?

Intel? CoreT i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
NVIDIA? GeForce? GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz (8GBx2)
128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
$1550

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I keep coming back to Alienware, but how about the15 R2 (3rd option)?

Intel? CoreT i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
NVIDIA? GeForce? GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz (8GBx2)
128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
$1550
That is a solid choice. Price isn't half bad either. The Alienware laptops have really good cooling systems too. If you want something with less lights, the MSI has a GS series in that size range a little better looking. But beauty is subjective.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think I'm going to go with the 17 R2 on Monday, unless I find something better before then. Thanks for the feedback, Flip.

Last question - Can I set up dual displays with a laptop like this? Just some monitor that accepts hdmi?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I think I'm going to go with the 17 R2 on Monday, unless I find something better before then. Thanks for the feedback, Flip.

Last question - Can I set up dual displays with a laptop like this? Just some monitor that accepts hdmi?
Yes it can do one monitor on hdmi and one off of the mini display port.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not sure where to post this so I'll put it here. My work is supposed to give me a company backpack but they ran out so in the interim I bought my own cheap one. Got a Targus Shasta bag for $15 at best buy. Opened it up and it came with skullcandy headphones/mic, a portable power source for mobile devices, an 8gb USB stick, and a wireless mouse.

For $15 it was a steal, and the bag is pretty decent.

Got it at best buy, can't find the link, and they didn't advertise it came with that stuff. Just a heads up in case anyone needs a cheap bag.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Any thoughts on the Surface Book vs Surface 4? Are the books worth the extra cash for the double battery etc?

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Not sure where to post this so I'll put it here. My work is supposed to give me a company backpack but they ran out so in the interim I bought my own cheap one. Got a Targus Shasta bag for $15 at best buy. Opened it up and it came with skullcandy headphones/mic, a portable power source for mobile devices, an 8gb USB stick, and a wireless mouse.

For $15 it was a steal, and the bag is pretty decent.

Got it at best buy, can't find the link, and they didn't advertise it came with that stuff. Just a heads up in case anyone needs a cheap bag.
Remember to give the backpack back if you leave or are laid off. =/

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hey guys, found an awesome deal (I think?) on Monday...
Asus 17 3 Intel Core i7 16GB 1TB HDD 128GB SSD NVIDIA GTX980M Laptop WIN10 | eBay

It's from the newegg ebay store. An Asus $1400 for a 17" with a 980m and SSD. Mine arrived today and I'm using it over my desktop currently, although it has me confused. This laptop destroys my desktop in FPS by about 200%, my desktop specs are: 4770K, 16 GB Ram, SSD, and 770 x2 SLI. I was running med settings in the new Assassins creed with 20-40 FPS. The laptop is running near max at 50-70 FPS. I feel like my SLI doesn't do shit for me, anyone else ever have problems?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Silly obligatory question: Are you running fullscreen on your desktop, or windowed borderless? A lot of people do this without realizing that SLI only works fullscreen.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Figured as much, but I always ask first when SLI is involved. It's the single largest pitfall that SLI setups face.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Hey guys, found an awesome deal (I think?) on Monday...
Asus 17 3 Intel Core i7 16GB 1TB HDD 128GB SSD NVIDIA GTX980M Laptop WIN10 | eBay

It's from the newegg ebay store. An Asus $1400 for a 17" with a 980m and SSD. Mine arrived today and I'm using it over my desktop currently, although it has me confused. This laptop destroys my desktop in FPS by about 200%, my desktop specs are: 4770K, 16 GB Ram, SSD, and 770 x2 SLI. I was running med settings in the new Assassins creed with 20-40 FPS. The laptop is running near max at 50-70 FPS. I feel like my SLI doesn't do shit for me, anyone else ever have problems?
I would try uninstalling your graphics drivers and using a program like driver sweeper to make sure its all the way gone. Then reinstall. No way your laptop should be faster. Also, what resolution are you running at on the desktop?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T4BWGM6?ref=olp_product_details

Used for 560, swap in a SSD (In my case I have a secondary with an Arch install, I can scrub and transfer the Windows license to, maybe install some touchscreen friendly distro later on). Seems like a good deal for a 2 in 1 with an i7 and 8gigs of Ram.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wife and I were in the market for a new gaming travel laptop as well and settled on another one in that Asus G752 series. The one you are describing is the DH74 and it is indeed an amazing deal for the price, but its a bitch to find available since its relatively new. The version we ordered was slightly more, but had a few other minor bells and whistles. The G752 series are pretty good in general and swapping memory and drives is really easy to do, but some models are really priced oddly. That DH74 one is a really solid deal, though.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Any thoughts on the Surface Book vs Surface 4? Are the books worth the extra cash for the double battery etc?
I just got the Pro 4 at work. Have only had it a few days so will report more when I get some hours logged. The book seems to have a better battery from when I played around with it. This Pro 4 is supposed to last 9 hours but it said 3 fully charged for me. Did an update and tweaked some settings and that seems to have given it some better hours.

I think both have a few bugs right at the moment so you may want to hold of. I am the guinea pig for this one at the office.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So I've really been eyeballing the Surfacebook Pro for my new business laptop since I will be able to draw on it and shit when at home. The build quality seems legit but I've read a few reviews that says the Surface Pro 4 is better. Does anyone have both or the SBP itself that can chime in?

EDIT: I just noticed the post right above mine, you got any feedback yet?

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I have never in my life shopped for or owned a laptop. I am looking to get a decent 15inch or so one as a gift for my mother. Would like to keep it around 400 dollars but I am flexible. She just needs it for facebook/web broswing sort of basic stuff.

Anyone have some suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.