Laptop Computers

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I asked this in the black desert online thread. I'm travelling alot and want to play the game on the road. What's the cheapest solution for something lightweight that just gets the job done? Not looking for something that runs settings on high.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I asked this in the black desert online thread. I'm travelling alot and want to play the game on the road. What's the cheapest solution for something lightweight that just gets the job done? Not looking for something that runs settings on high.
This forum:

What Notebook Should I Buy? | NotebookReview

Has helped me immensely in the past. It's been around for years, and one of the best laptop forums I've ever found. I use that sub-forum specifically when I have notebook questions and about to make another post in it as I'm back in school and want an ultra portable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
Any ideas when new mobile Pascal chips will be in laptops? My Googlefu isn't finding anything with a couple of quick searches. I'm just curious if it's worth waiting to pick up a gaming laptop, unless it'll be another 6-9 months.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
Thanks Flip. Guess it might be worth waiting. I don't really have a need for an upgraded system till a bit towards the end of summer/early fall.

Sulrn

Deuces
Travel / work laptop officially died today after 8 years of service and soft-abuse.

Any good deals to be had for a non-gaming laptop with a blu ray read/dvd burner, preferably non-AMD CPU?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Does anyone know anything about shipping a laptop overseas? Trying to get around this lithium ion battery ban or whatever. If I had a laptop shipped to someone else from Amazon, and they packaged it discreetly, would that be enough for them to then ship it to me at an overseas address (an FPO)?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can ship overseas. They relaxed the Li-Ion battery rules a while back. Before it was an outright ban, but now it basically allows if they are a part of the device you are shipping. You can't ship individual batteries, etc but a laptop with the pack built in is A-ok. I am at an FPO and have had a couple Dell laptops shipped here in the last couple years. The last one was maybe 6 months back.

You can also have someone else ship it, as you suggested. Lots of people do this for various items.

• 1Like
I ship laptops from Amazon all the time. You just have to select the vendor that is willing to send the laptop overseas, which is rare and a pain in the ass to find. This is even harder with dell and HP laptops.

On another note... does anyone recommend any Business laptop that is not Lenovo? Most business oriented laptops have shit specs when compared to home laptops. But home laptops are normally built to shit and don't come with Windows pro.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I am partial to Dell's latitude line for business laptops. We use those at my job. Well built compared to the home line and easier to work on. The home line of most laptops almost always require surgery for a simple upgrade. The business lines are all user accessible from the bottom.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
You can ship overseas. They relaxed the Li-Ion battery rules a while back. Before it was an outright ban, but now it basically allows if they are a part of the device you are shipping. You can't ship individual batteries, etc but a laptop with the pack built in is A-ok. I am at an FPO and have had a couple Dell laptops shipped here in the last couple years. The last one was maybe 6 months back.

You can also have someone else ship it, as you suggested. Lots of people do this for various items.

Yea ended up finding out the ban was lifted and nothing was on my FPO restricted list. Amazon wouldn't ship overseas (ASUS laptop) so shipped it to my wife to send it to me. We'll see how it goes. It shipped priority mail and fully insured with USPS. She shipped it on the 9th and it got to an origin facility in San Francisco on the 12th, where (according to the tracker) it has been sitting ever since. Not sure if it's USPS being shit or if it got swapped to the military at that point and tracking ended.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, Amazon is weird as hell about some items that ship to APO and others don't. That's nothing specifically to do with li-ion batteries.

Hell, I have had the most mundane things not able to ship from Amazon. Then just pop over to another vendor website and they ship no problem.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm selling my ASUS ROG G751JY if anyone is interested. I'm asking $1200 but I'll sell it for $1100 to a forum member. Its running i7 4720, 16gb, SSD, 980m, 1 TB storage. PM me for more details.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Trying so hard not to go buy a new laptop with a 1070 in it. So hard. But then I stop and consider how often I gamed on my 6 or 7 year old Vaio (which is still a great laptop outside of gaming), and I'm like "why would I spend 3 grand on that?".

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
What did you buy? I don't need to play any games but a nice laptop I can carry around at work all day (constantly on the move) will be something I'm in the market for by December.