Laptop Computers

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
My asus felt well built but the power jack came apart in under two years , and the pc crapped out around the same time, ended up scrapping it. My next laptop an msi felt flimsy with cheap looking plastic but is going steady nearly 3 yrs later and I've burned a ton of gaming time into it.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I've gotten used to it. I don't even notice anymore. The only complaint I have had is that the stainless steel is easy to dent if you're not super careful when transporting it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably mobile laptop that can also do some light gaming? probably most use it to box in EQ and to travel with for work.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Depends whats "reasonable" Since you can get entry gaming type shit for $700 and it can go all the way into the multi thousands of $$$.

I think any last year type model for $800-$900 would do EQ well enough, maybe refurb? I would go MSI or Asus.

But realistically you could build another tower for like $500-$800 depending on what parts you have lying around, and slap a cheap 1080p costco screen on it and you would be better off.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There really is onlyp one gaming gaming solution under $1000 and that is Lenovo Y.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Depends whats "reasonable" Since you can get entry gaming type shit for $700 and it can go all the way into the multi thousands of $$$.

I think any last year type model for $800-$900 would do EQ well enough, maybe refurb? I would go MSI or Asus.

But realistically you could build another tower for like $500-$800 depending on what parts you have lying around, and slap a cheap 1080p costco screen on it and you would be better off.
true, but then I wouldn't be able to travel with it for work or take it down the shore with me. also I don't feel like explaining to broads why I have two computers in my living room.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
true, but then I wouldn't be able to travel with it for work or take it down the shore with me. also I don't feel like explaining to broads why I have two computers in my living room.

Why do you feel the need to explain anything to a broad?

"Russian Hacker" and leave it at that.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
those Levovo Ys look nice but the configurations for SSD and ram are enraging. would it be possible for me to buy then immediately replace the HDD with a SSD and add more RAM on my own?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
notebookreview.com forums are where I go to read anything about laptops, including moding them.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I have a lenovo Y from 2011, they're good for the price, but the current gen kind of sucks. They use a GTX1050 at best, which is pretty shitty. I'd look at ASUS Republic of Gaming laptops, with a GTX1060 at least. The 1060 is a pretty beastly card for a laptop. I wouldn't waste money on a gaming laptop with anything less.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
those Levovo Ys look nice but the configurations for SSD and ram are enraging. would it be possible for me to buy then immediately replace the HDD with a SSD and add more RAM on my own?

That's very possible actually. Just get the model with a 1050 or 1050ti and you're set. Like the poster below mentioned, check notebookreview forums and YouTube and see how difficult it is to upgrade. The decent laptops can all be upgraded by just removing the bottom panel, but with some budget ones, you have to do laptop surgery to get to shit.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I have a lenovo Y from 2011, they're good for the price, but the current gen kind of sucks. They use a GTX1050 at best, which is pretty shitty. I'd look at ASUS Republic of Gaming laptops, with a GTX1060 at least. The 1060 is a pretty beastly card for a laptop. I wouldn't waste money on a gaming laptop with anything less.

You're going to have a hard time getting a laptop under a grand with a 1060. Unless you get on on sale, usually the $800-1000 range is the 1050ti at best

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any specific experience w/ the Surface Book, and/or Surface Pro?

Looking at scooping one for some graphic design, and studio work. Debating the i5 performance variant just because I don't know if I want to invest into something so expensive without being able to maximize. I could go the cintiq route, but the travel part seems interesting enough to entertain.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>

Looking at scooping one for some graphic design, and studio work. Debating the i5 performance variant just because I don't know if I want to invest into something so expensive without being able to maximize. I could go the cintiq route, but the travel part seems interesting enough to entertain.

Got a Surface 4 with the i7 for everyday use at the office and has worked well for almost two years. I do light programming and mostly browser based tools. The battery is starting to deplete quicker than normal if running anything that does screensharing/conferencing it seems. Could be the software running at that time, age, or both. Haven't run any diagnostics on it yet. From what I understand you'll get an extra hour or two out of the i5.

Another co-worker has the book and I'd probably go that route the next time. Easier to place in your lap and better battery, when attached, are the main factors on that decision.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

The Surface series is a beautiful bunch of devices. They are well equipped, sleak, run well and have that Apple level fancy feel that justifies the price. Probably don't need the i7 as that's overkill for most, but they are very good.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the i5 Surface 4 and I'm still happy with it. Only real issues I have are that flash based videos crash if I don't disable hardware acceleration. I have to force shutdown with the power button since windows just stops responding. Gauranteed to happen in chrome but doesn't always happen in Firefox. I need to do a reinstall of windows sometime and see if it keeps happening.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
The Surface series is a beautiful bunch of devices. They are well equipped, sleak, run well and have that Apple level fancy feel that justifies the price. Probably don't need the i7 as that's overkill for most, but they are very good.
Yeah, its what im' thinking. Can't say i've done extensive research as i'm still about a week away from getting it or making the decision. I just know when I type performance review, I just get the Surface Book Performance model; mildly annoying. I just wondering if its night/day with things like illustrator and various brushes/layers, and so on.

I have the i5 Surface 4 and I'm still happy with it. Only real issues I have are that flash based videos crash if I don't disable hardware acceleration. I have to force shutdown with the power button since windows just stops responding. Gauranteed to happen in chrome but doesn't always happen in Firefox. I need to do a reinstall of windows sometime and see if it keeps happening.
Have you run any heavy programs on it, or anything involving layers and such?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah, its what im' thinking. Can't say i've done extensive research as i'm still about a week away from getting it or making the decision. I just know when I type performance review, I just get the Surface Book Performance model; mildly annoying. I just wondering if its night/day with things like illustrator and various brushes/layers, and so on.

Honestly, if you require horsepower for those apps, you may be better getting a true quad core machine with a dedicated GPU. These ultra mobile processors are all dual core and hyperthreaded. The main difference is L3 cache amounts and clock speed. Any rendering or cpu intensive tasks are gonna suck.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

It's mostly an internet and media device for me, the most stressful thing I do on it is some light gaming. Just simple indie type games though.