Laptop Computers

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anyone know of the best place to buy Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3?

Why a 3 and not a 4? Price is relatively fixed on Surfaces +/- $50 or so. We've got about 40 of them for our mobile workforce and even at 10+ quantity the discount is negligible. Your exchanges/returns for repairs are always directly with MS anyways, so just buy it wherever you can get the best deal.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Really? Most of the prices I've seen are at least $150+ difference in similar models between the Pro 3 and 4.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Really? Most of the prices I've seen are at least $150+ difference in similar models between the Pro 3 and 4.

No, I meant that it doesn't really matter where you get a Surface as the price is relatively fixed +/- fifty bucks or so-- kind of like trying to find a deal on a MacBook. Personally I'd pony the extra $150 bucks for the 4 if you can manage-- the keyboard is significantly better, though if you'll be using it primarily as a desktop replacement you can get a BT keyboard. IMHO the best value would be a SP4 refurb with the MS extended warranty.

Djay

Trakanon Raider

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would be more worried about the 960M pending on which sort of games you want to play.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Been thinking about getting a new laptop for awhile since my personal one is a 10-year old overheating brick and I don't like using my work laptop for games. Don't really keep up with this stuff anymore...is this a decent price?
Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK 15.6 Inch FHD Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M Bundle with Crucial 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory: Computers & Accessories

Worried the 16GB RAM isn't going to be enough.
Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Laptop - Intel i7 Quad-Core | Dell

These seem a lot better.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Only get a gaming laptop if a desktop is absolutely not an option for you.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Bought a new MacBook Pro recently, shipped from the motherland. Paid $14 for expedited delivery, when the package arrived via FedEx, I saw a gash in the parcel container. Turns out the gash went through the parcel, through the MacBook box and dented my new $2300 MacBook. Someone must have taken a screwdriver and smashed it through. Anyways, Apple who are known for amazing customer service, are taking their damn sweet time in doing anything. The computer still works, but there is no telling if the internals have taken any damage.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Bought a new MacBook Pro recently, shipped from the motherland. Paid $14 for expedited delivery, when the package arrived via FedEx, I saw a gash in the parcel container. Turns out the gash went through the parcel, through the MacBook box and dented my new $2300 MacBook. Someone must have taken a screwdriver and smashed it through. Anyways, Apple who are known for amazing customer service, are taking their damn sweet time in doing anything. The computer still works, but there is no telling if the internals have taken any damage.
Late responding to this, but did they get it resolved? Were you working with customer relations?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Did they leave it like that on your doorstep or were you able to refuse delivery?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Late responding to this, but did they get it resolved? Were you working with customer relations?

Did they leave it like that on your doorstep or were you able to refuse delivery?

So I should clarify that the original package was unable to be delivered so I picked it up at my local FedEx on the day of delivery. The handler gave it to me on the side that wasn't punctured and granted, I didn't observe or look over the box. It appeared fine. When I got home, I saw the parcel was punctured, but didn't think much of it. Upon opening it up, I was able to notice the internal box and laptop were actually damaged.

I contacted Apple immediately and spoke with a rep who took my info and promised me they would be in contact with me within 24 hours (not true) and that they were forwarding my information to the shipping investigation team. What I didn't know during this discussion is that the rep indicated in my file that I was keeping the laptop (I was explicit in a return) and also stated to me that she was unable to discuss reimbursing my expedited shipping charge that I paid for.

About 2 hours later, FedEx contacts me and I ask for an email address to provide images of damages, I send those through the same day.

After four days pass and not hearing anything, I recontact Apple and speak with a much more helpful rep. He tells me about what the other rep put in the file (that I was keeping the damaged product, not asking for reimbursement). He informed me that the shipping investigation usually takes around 5-7 days to be completed (shouldn't have been told 24 hours) and that I should contact Apple after everything is complete to get some sort of reimbursement for the inconvenience, he also refunded my shipping charge on the spot (measly $14, but still, the original rep said she couldn't do this).

Two days after, I get a tracking number from Apple, no correspondence about what I should expect, or about returning the original laptop. Fast forward about 2 weeks, I received the replacement laptop and have had absolutely no contact with Apple about returning the original device. I was definitely assuming I'd be required to return it. Still sort of waiting around to see what happens, but I assume I'm in the clear with two laptops.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So I should clarify that the original package was unable to be delivered so I picked it up at my local FedEx on the day of delivery. The handler gave it to me on the side that wasn't punctured and granted, I didn't observe or look over the box. It appeared fine. When I got home, I saw the parcel was punctured, but didn't think much of it. Upon opening it up, I was able to notice the internal box and laptop were actually damaged.

I contacted Apple immediately and spoke with a rep who took my info and promised me they would be in contact with me within 24 hours (not true) and that they were forwarding my information to the shipping investigation team. What I didn't know during this discussion is that the rep indicated in my file that I was keeping the laptop (I was explicit in a return) and also stated to me that she was unable to discuss reimbursing my expedited shipping charge that I paid for.

About 2 hours later, FedEx contacts me and I ask for an email address to provide images of damages, I send those through the same day.

After four days pass and not hearing anything, I recontact Apple and speak with a much more helpful rep. He tells me about what the other rep put in the file (that I was keeping the damaged product, not asking for reimbursement). He informed me that the shipping investigation usually takes around 5-7 days to be completed (shouldn't have been told 24 hours) and that I should contact Apple after everything is complete to get some sort of reimbursement for the inconvenience, he also refunded my shipping charge on the spot (measly $14, but still, the original rep said she couldn't do this).

Two days after, I get a tracking number from Apple, no correspondence about what I should expect, or about returning the original laptop. Fast forward about 2 weeks, I received the replacement laptop and have had absolutely no contact with Apple about returning the original device. I was definitely assuming I'd be required to return it. Still sort of waiting around to see what happens, but I assume I'm in the clear with two laptops.

Doh! Sunday was my last day with Apple, was going to offer to look into this for you.

It sounds like you had one of the vendor advisers (Apple uses a lot of third party employees for support and things like this now because they're cheaper than in house employees). Unfortunately, they are all about volume and not really solving shit, so they will lie through their teeth to get you off the phone.

If all else fails, reach out to @Apple and @AppleSupport on Twitter. It's run 100% by in-house employees (for now), and while they won't directly be able to help, they'll be able to forward it up to management and have a (most likely) in house Apple rep reach out to you and get this squared away.

That's insane they sent you a replacement without a credit card hold or requiring the original to be sent back...maybe you got lucky :D

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man fuck that noise. Fuck apple. Get yourself a nice msi gaming laptop. Probably $1k cheaper and 200% better.

Just last night i got a bad video card from amazon. Plugged it in and nothing. Hit the return button on amazon and a new one was shipped out to me the same day. Now i have to return old one, just visit my local ups store, they box it up and lable it for free. No questions, no pictures, no hassle.

Fuck, you apple fanboys, when will you learn? All that shit so you can have that "apple" on the laptop that is pretty much inferior in every way? Are you getting a computer? Or are you getting a piece of furniture you can show off to all of your hipster friends?

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I like the ecosystem, it wasn't a purchase for gaming, otherwise I would have done exactly what you instructed. The beauty of a free market is to choose whatever we want and we spend money on things that we equate with a certain value. It's possible at the end of this that I will have only spent $300-500 on a MacBook Pro and I'll say that's not a bad deal.