Laptop Computers

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
My biggest concerns with a gaming laptop is heat.

Like 7 or 8 years ago I spent $2500 on a gaming laptop (had a lot of the latest stuffs) and that shit overheated like crazy. It also sounded like a Jet taking off.

I'm ok with a midrange power gaming laptop as long as it doesn't double as a space heater. I'm mostly looking to be able to play games not on max / max graphics settings. That alienware I was looking at seemed to meet that criteria but I'll look at that G75

I'd almost prefer a gaming laptop to be designed with external cooling attachments specifically fitted for the laptop to increase it's heat dissipation.
I had these same issues with a Sager laptop 5 or 6 years ago. It was most definitely the loudest PC/Laptop I've ever owned. I went with a G73 back when they first came out and it was night and day when it came to noise level, and I can comfortably sit it on my lap without any cooling pads (I had a cooling pad that I had originally used with my Sager, but it died a year or so ago and I haven't really felt the need to pick another up).

I will say that my G73 has been getting pretty hot playing newer games, the most recent one that I can recall being Quantum Conundrum. For some reason that game made my laptop run really hot, but I chalk that up to the laptop getting to be almost 4 years old at this point and probably getting pushed a little too hard.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Macs can barely play any games bro.

Trackballs can be pretty nice. Give one of them a go if you want to break the touchpad habit.
Not sure what my rant had to do with gaming. I'm saying that PC makers can't make a touchpad that's worth a damn. I tried using a trackball. Hated it.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the touchpad on my MBPro is much better than the one on my M18x. Both run pretty cool - the M18x has much more power to heat it up though, it runs Bioshock Infinite on Ultra settings @ 1080p with ease.

I actually picked up an old Asus G51 on Craigslist to use as a Hackintosh and the trackpad on it works pretty damn well.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Seems a lot of laptops these days are using Elan touchpads that are just dogshit terrible. My Asus UL30vt has one and it's flat out unusable. It clicks shit randomly when I put my finger back down to move the cursera, it's the same material as the rest of the computer and thus sticky unless it's coated in finger grease. It's just unimaginably terrible. When I say "unusable" I am not exaggerating in the slightest. I won't take it anywhere I can't put down a mouse. Dell laptops from 20 years ago were much, much better. Why are they using this shit? And while I'm at it, is there any software that makes it not the worst thing that's ever been created in history?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I have used my friends mbpro a ton and the touchpad is dogshit, the right click works as a left click half the time and it makes using the touchpad at all pretty maddening.

It seems typical of all laptops tho ya, and mice too. I have RMAd a couple logitech mice lately for similar shit where the sensor goes and it doesn't work any more. I dont remember the old mice from like 10 years ago having these kind of problems.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is so very true. It makes my Alienware M17x look like a fucking heat lamp. I wish the M17x was half as good at dissipating heat as the G75 I had for a short while.

And there's nothing wrong with throwing a word in for a kickass laptop. I'm sure as hell not shilling for Alienware, I wouldn't go there again.
I actually just picked up an ASUS g75vw and it is much better than my previous laptop. I had a HP EliteBook 8740w through work, it had a single back fan and one on the bottom. There wasn't enough lift on the laptop for the bottom exhaust to work very well. The g75vw seems to handle the heat extremely well. Been running through Bioshock Infinite on it and I do not notice heat in the same way I did previously.

Definitely a great laptop. I didn't end up going with an Alienware machine because they were too gaudy for my taste and I like ASUS.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the G75VW any day of the week.

I went shopping for some random things today and there was a Best Buy near the Target so I went inside and looked at the ASUS G75.

It's a little larger than I expected but it will fit in side my laptop case. I have a pretty big laptop case from the old gaming laptop I had years ago.

I'll probably end up buying it in a week or two, need to consider whether to buy it online or at the store. I'll compare options to see who has the best coverage and fastest replacement if it's broken. I've heard horror stories about Best Buy customer service so I'd prefer not to buy from them at all. Maybe Staples or somebody sells laptops but if anybody has a suggestion for an online laptop site with a decent warranty I'll check it out.

Also interested to hear what games you've played on the G75, I'm pretty sure it can play Starcraft 2 and Rome 2 Total War but feedback is important too, let me know how it handles the games!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I tried TERA and Battlefield 2 on the G75, they were both fine at high settings. Mine had the 660M in it. If the one you buy has the 670M, even better.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
does it make sense to wait or just get a y500 now?
The new Y500s came out recently that have an Nvidia 750M in them instead of the 650. Only problem is, they don't have the SLI ultrabay out yet -- so the last years Y500 with SLI 650s will outperform this years Y500 with one 750M. So I'd wait; by the time Haswell comes out, they will offer the SLI version of the Y500 with a 2nd 750M. I imagine that machine will be pretty beefy for games.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I went shopping for some random things today and there was a Best Buy near the Target so I went inside and looked at the ASUS G75.

It's a little larger than I expected but it will fit in side my laptop case. I have a pretty big laptop case from the old gaming laptop I had years ago.

I'll probably end up buying it in a week or two, need to consider whether to buy it online or at the store. I'll compare options to see who has the best coverage and fastest replacement if it's broken. I've heard horror stories about Best Buy customer service so I'd prefer not to buy from them at all. Maybe Staples or somebody sells laptops but if anybody has a suggestion for an online laptop site with a decent warranty I'll check it out.

Also interested to hear what games you've played on the G75, I'm pretty sure it can play Starcraft 2 and Rome 2 Total War but feedback is important too, let me know how it handles the games!
If you are around a Microcenter I would recommend them. They were selling the g75vw for cheaper than Amazon in store. They also sold a 2 year accident protection warranty that will cover any damage to the laptop. They literally told me that, between 1 and 2 years, I should trash the laptop. They would then give me the price of the laptop back and I could just buy the latest greatest thing. The only upgrade I had to do was purchase a SSD, the model they were selling did not include one.

http://www.microcenter.com/

As for games, I have only really played Bioshock Infinite and a smattering of Dead Island. Both run extremely well.

xiel_sl

shitlord
Question for those of you who have a Chromebook. My friend is thinking about getting one for her mother. All she does is shop, facebook, and play those damn facebook'ish games such as Candy Crush. I've read that games like Farmville 2 won't run on a Chromebook but what about the others? I know Candy Crush does but I'm more concerned about future games that crazy old ladies might get addicted to. I know these aren't powerhouse machines and it seems like a Chromebook is made for people like this but I know that some of these games can be real cpu/ram dependent.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just got a Lenovo Y580. Never had anything Lenovo before. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Threw in a 256GB SSD, downgraded to Windows 7. It's been pretty solid. And not altogether that expensive either.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lenovo makes a damn fine computer. I bought my parents a Lenovo laptop, and my work has switched over completely from Dell to Lenovo desktops in the past couple years. Great machines in general, they make a damn solid product for a pretty reasonable price.

marlos69_sl

shitlord
any of you have gotten the laptop battery in the freezer when you have little capacity?
someone told me that and recovers some of the lost capacity

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
any of you have gotten the laptop battery in the freezer when you have little capacity?
someone told me that and recovers some of the lost capacity
Im just about fed up at this point with my shitty acer laptop and its nvidia 540m, making it impossible to group in games with fairly dated graphics (path of exile, swtor, the list goes on).

What do you guys think of the Razer Blade?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnqMtq259M
It's a bit pricey but i've never seen a gaming laptop look so thin and sleek - look at that ac adapter! For someone that games a lot while on the move, it seems like the only practical choice. Anyone know a similar setup for less?
Also, is that nvidia 660M going to be a significant boost in performance? I dont want to run into fps hiccups again for a long time