Laptop Computers

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
The Asus G75 is impressive for its cost. I had a G75VW for a while until I had my Alienware fixed under warranty instead (which they weren't going to do at first). Had the opportunity to extend the warranty not presented itself, I'd still have the G75. It was a really sweet laptop.

If you can, go for the better video card (670GTX mobility if I remember right). It makes a fair amount of difference.
I got the one with the 670m, i7, 16gb ram and a bluray.

It absolutely crushes everything I throw at it. I found it on amazon for 1395 and jumped on it. Absolute steal.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Another dumb question but where's the best place to buy replacement batteries? There are so many websites. I can go OEM from ASUS for $150, or from any other site for $60, but I'm not sure how reliable these other places are.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Another dumb question but where's the best place to buy replacement batteries? There are so many websites. I can go OEM from ASUS for $150, or from any other site for $60, but I'm not sure how reliable these other places are.
If you're gonna buy off some other site, just make sure the batteries are genuine. If they're some kinda scam, and they blow up in your laptop, consider yourself entirely screwed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They aren't OEM if that's what you mean. It's tough to tell which sites will have the best, although some of them have power ratings inconsistent with what the laptop requires so I can immediately cross those out.

Was just curious if others have bought laptop batteries from other sources and how they worked out. Really not looking to spend $150 on a new battery.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I bought a battery off eBay once and it worked out fine, but YMMV. The battery I bought (for a Toshiba Satellite Pro if I remember right) was reconditioned, but still a genuine part. The danger lies in the quality of no name/third party batteries and whether they have warranty coverage (i.e. if the battery blows up and takes your laptop with it, do you have a leg to stand on?). Batteries overheating and catching on fire or exploding aren't exactly a new thing these days.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Cant you also just go get the cells refilled in the battery for like 20$ or so ?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well don't order keys from laptopkeys.com.. I read their reviews and saw a few that mentioned this issue.. hoped it would pass me by. They almost look the same! Oh, and my stock are dark grey and the new one is Jet black.

rrr_img_16101.jpg

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Everybody on Facebook said the same thing lol. I put it next to the real N for comparison.
The sad part is that, at the time, it took me about 30 seconds to figure out that it wasn't an M. I need more sleep.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I contacted the company. It was only $6 so it's not like I was hard-pressed for the money, I really just want the matching key and I'm afraid even if I ordered it again I would get the wrong one. They told me I ordered the wrong key. If I look up the Asus G73 keyboard on their website I can clearly see a picture of an exact copy of my keyboard, this is the one I ordered the N from. If you look up another Asus keyboard on their website for another model (thinking G53 or something) it has the key that I received. I pointed this out to them and they are insisting I ordered the wrong key.

They want pictures of: my broken key, the hinges, the part of my laptop where the key attaches to, the key I received, the hinges on the key, a picture of the hinge attached, and they want to charge me return shipping. What a joke.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sounds like a real bunch of winners. Won't use them if I need keys, anyway. Thanks for letting us know.

Seethe_sl

shitlord
Any one have any experience with HP laptops? The elitist in me would normally scoff at HP, but I ran across this deal going on at Costco:Link

Seems like a fairly decent deal for the money. I'm not planning on using this to replace my dedicated gaming rig or anything, but it would be nice to be able to play a game if I'm stranded somewhere.

If the consensus is to run the hell away from anything HP, would the hive mind recommend going after that refurbished ASUS that was linked earlier?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Any one have any experience with HP laptops?
My wife uses an HP Pavillion dv7. It was about the same price but has discrete graphics instead of the Intel 4000. It's alright, nothing great, but at that price, you won't get "great".

I'd go for the ASUS, myself.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
That's the thing though, what do you do with that kickass display? Browse websites? You can't game on it, can't do anything productivity wise like photoshop where that resolution might be nice. I'm a HUGE google fan(own many android devices, a Nexus tablet, use Chrome, gmail, google docs regularly etc) and I think the Pixel is the most useless piece of hardware I've ever seen.

A $1200 web browser? Fucking come on, what are you thinking Google?
I think lots of people go for 4xHD (which is complete overkill on a laptop especially on the 13 inch ones) when all they really 'need' to have a screen that looks amazing is an IPS laptop. Going from a typical laptop to a mbpr is a huge jump, but most laptops use dog shit screens with terrible color shift problems. I honestly can't tell the difference between the screen on the vaio Z and a MBPR when I see them side by side. The x230 and x220 from lenovo both have great screens even tho they are only 720p. Vaio Z (sadly a discontinued series now =( ) has a great 1080p screen, sony is retarded tho and charges more than a macbook pro retina even for refurbs unless you get one of their 30-50% off sales.

I am waiting on the price cuts and refreshs from haswell before I buy anything new, but atm I really really want a lenovo x230T, great screen, tablet convertable with an active digitizer is sex.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I bought the $249 Samsung Chromebook for shits and giggles. It's got an ARM chip, so it's no speed demon, but it performs well for what it's made for, which is web and web apps. The new offline Gmail interface is very nice and works well with it. It streams video fine. The laptop is not bad at all, as long as you know what you're getting before you buy it.http://amzn.to/10HhtMS
rrr_img_17308.jpg

rrr_img_17308.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I bought the $249 Samsung Chromebook for shits and giggles. It's got an ARM chip, so it's no speed demon, but it performs well for what it's made for, which is web and web apps. The new offline Gmail interface is very nice and works well with it. It streams video fine. The laptop is not bad at all, as long as you know what you're getting before you buy it.http://amzn.to/10HhtMS
rrr_img_17308.jpg
Welcome to the club brethren, I love mine.

rrr_img_17308.jpg

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I think lots of people go for 4xHD (which is complete overkill on a laptop especially on the 13 inch ones) when all they really 'need' to have a screen that looks amazing is an IPS laptop. Going from a typical laptop to a mbpr is a huge jump, but most laptops use dog shit screens with terrible color shift problems. I honestly can't tell the difference between the screen on the vaio Z and a MBPR when I see them side by side. The x230 and x220 from lenovo both have great screens even tho they are only 720p. Vaio Z (sadly a discontinued series now =( ) has a great 1080p screen, sony is retarded tho and charges more than a macbook pro retina even for refurbs unless you get one of their 30-50% off sales.

I am waiting on the price cuts and refreshs from haswell before I buy anything new, but atm I really really want a lenovo x230T, great screen, tablet convertable with an active digitizer is sex.
I recently bought an x230T and I have no real complaints. I wouldn't mind a higher resolution, but that issue only rears its head when I have multiple excel or word windows open. a 12.5 inch screen is small enough that even with higher resolution, text size would become the limiting factor anyways. Highly recommend. The digital pen + OneNote has replaced my notebook.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So I've never really been into Apple computers, but I recently got my hands on their new macbook pro retina and I am pretty damn impressed. The screen is awesome, its really fast and it handles most of the games I've been playing lately with no problems (LoL, sc2). Price is about the only complain I would have with it, but I got mine pretty cheap.