Laptop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I really love my Asus G751JY Laptop. 24 gig of ram, geforce 980 with 4 gig on it. New version does G Sync and the older version should get G sync support since they all have IPS screen. There is currently a pretty big forum uproar on the official Asus forum since the laptop should be able to have g sync. It's working on it via unofficial driver but Asus and Nvidia are locking up the current user base to sell the same laptop with GSync edition...

I'm in no rush to get it but I'm pretty confident they will give us official support.

The laptop is pretty good for games and as a character artist for a game developer it does a great job with the few software I use personally. It's about the same power as the desktop computer I use at work. I also got the big Asus ROG transport back pack with it.

I'm super happy with it.
I have a g73jh, don't hold your breath for Asus support. The community is great and found their own drivers and workaround for almost every issue while Asus did nothing.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Can anyone recommend a replacement screen for an MSI GT72? It's a 17.3" screen with I believe a 30 pin connector.

I was looking at getting an LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1. Is that reasonably good? I'm having trouble finding places to purchase that model from though, both Amazon and Newegg don't carry the model. Why?

Theodlard

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll be working on several large writing projects soon and was looking for a recommendation for a quality laptop. My main concern is the quality of the keyboard. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Just ordered the Dell XPS 13. I'm intrigued by the tiny bezel and the footprint being so small for a 13".

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Just ordered the Dell XPS 13. I'm intrigued by the tiny bezel and the footprint being so small for a 13".
Which one did you get - touch or non-touch? Why pull the trigger so close to a Skylake revamp? The XPS 15 skylake is weeks away with xps 13 sure to follow.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I just wanted to try it. I doubt I'll keep it, but I want to see if it's good enough to pry my retina MacBook out of my hands.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I just wanted to try it. I doubt I'll keep it, but I want to see if it's good enough to pry my retina MacBook out of my hands.
Which one then - non-touch FHD 1080p or the touch QHD+ 3200x1800? The difference in color and quality is supposed to profound under win10.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The high rez touchscreen.
Faaaawk dude. I was ogling that for the longest time. Let us know how it is
smile.png

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Faaaawk dude. I was ogling that for the longest time. Let us know how it is
smile.png
I should get it Wednesday. Chances are that I'll end up returning it and getting the 15" version with Skylake, assuming it has the tiny bezel like the 13" does.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Got the XPS 13 today. One can't appreciate the small size of this thing until you hold it in your hands. It's like holding an 11" laptop but having the 13" screen. The tiny screen border makes a huge difference. The screen is fantastic. I don't see anything wrong with it.

My only initial complaint is the keyboard backlighting. The number 7 key is like GONDOR CALLS FOR AID! The rest of the keys are fairly evenly lit, with a few here and there with different levels. This compares to my retina Macbook Pro that has perfect backlighting.

One of the first things it asked me was if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. I said yes and it immediately downloaded it and began the installation, which is what it's doing right now.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Got the XPS 13 today. One can't appreciate the small size of this thing until you hold it in your hands. It's like holding an 11" laptop but having the 13" screen. The tiny screen border makes a huge difference. The screen is fantastic. I don't see anything wrong with it.

My only initial complaint is the keyboard backlighting. The number 7 key is like GONDOR CALLS FOR AID! The rest of the keys are fairly evenly lit, with a few here and there with different levels. This compares to my retina Macbook Pro that has perfect backlighting.

One of the first things it asked me was if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. I said yes and it immediately downloaded it and began the installation, which is what it's doing right now.
I have the weirdest boner right now.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I'm very impressed with the XPS 13. I will return this one after testing it out, but I will definitely buy the Skylake version of it.

W

Wrathcaster

Looking for something reasonable to get me through the next 3-4 years. Mainly classwork, though I'd prefer not to be piloting a dinosaur that takes a full minute to load up my browser. $500-800 budget. Best performance I can get for the money. Everything except for OS is paid for. Best source?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a surface pro 3? How do you like it, does it get very warm playing something like hearthstone? Thinking about selling my zenbook for a i5 surface pro

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have a surface pro 3? How do you like it, does it get very warm playing something like hearthstone? Thinking about selling my zenbook for a i5 surface pro
My work laptop is an i7 Pro 3. It's okay, but the resolution is mighty high for such a small screen. I hate the very cheap-feeling keyboard. I lament it every time I need to type on it. The machine is fast and works well, but after trying the Dell XPS 13, to me, it's a no-brainer the Dell is the better machine. For some reason, the high rez on the XPS 13 was more manageable than on the Pro. Your needs may be different. I never tried Hearthstone on it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
hmmm ... the reason I am thinking of ditching the zenbook 13" is the high rez is pretty brutal on the eye balls.