Laptop Computers

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking about moving from a desktop to a laptop full time. I just don't really game anymore. I do make some youtube videos though. I've bounced around for the past 2 days reading tons of stuff and have just gotten trigger shy. I'd say my budget is up to $1200?

I usually just want great value. I'm not sure if buying bleeding edge tech now is better than buying something lower end and upgrading later. Looked at things like XPS 13 inch, zenbooks, custom build Sagers etc. Currently I use a desktop Pc with 1g video card and 8 gigs of ram and amd 6300 6 core processor. Have probably had this build for 4+? years. I don't feel like I'm limited yet. That being said if I'm going to invest money I don't want to find limitations in a year from now when it comes to the laptop.

I'm thinking I want 16gig of ram. Torn on SSD. I like speed, but do I need the speed vs the price it costs? Most of the higher end laptops it's just standard. It seems like I need a good i5 processor with 16 gigs of ram and whatever the lowest price point provides that?

Any insight?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
If you've never used an SSD, then you don't know the sheer bliss of having one. SSD's are totally worth it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Except for my zenbook I've always just put in an ssd in laptops, little bit cheaper plus can just put the original drive back in for resale later on

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Good choice for an SSD. As to the size, you want to plan for a maximum of about 50% usage, since SSD performance can really start to suffer past that point.

The laptop looks like it should be just fine for what you plan to do with it. Beware of Dell's support, though; if you have any reason to believe that there is something wrong with the laptop, call early and get the bullshit out of the way. They will make you go through their checklists over the phone/by remote desktop before they send a tech or have you RMA anything.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good choice for an SSD. As to the size, you want to plan for a maximum of about 50% usage, since SSD performance can really start to suffer past that point.

The laptop looks like it should be just fine for what you plan to do with it. Beware of Dell's support, though; if you have any reason to believe that there is something wrong with the laptop, call early and get the bullshit out of the way. They will make you go through their checklists over the phone/by remote desktop before they send a tech or have you RMA anything.
Good to know on both points. Thanks.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
when you go to put the SSD in check around and I bet there are some guide/video how to's that will be helpful so you don't scratch up the case etc etc

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
On a similar note to the last few posts, I'm looking to buy a laptop as well. It's only being used for some business, internet/video watching, and maybe the occasional game of league or similar... no high end gaming will be done on it.

I wasn't planning to buy a laptop at all until I helping my mother shop for a replacement for her broken laptop and saw how cheap some refurbished units were on newegg.

My budget is only $300 or less, and was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion. From just a few minutes of searching, something like:
Lenovo Thinkpad L420 Notebook - Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 120GB Solid State Hard Drive, DVD RW, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - Newegg.com
or
Refurbished: DELL Laptop Latitude E6420 Intel Core i5 2520M Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - Newegg.com

but idk if Dell, lenovo or whoever is any good these days.. I've always liked ASUS keyboard design, but most of their laptops were too high or had worse specs then these.

Joules

Trakanon Raider
Long story short, I'm a designer in a small office and have had the same Alienware laptop for nearly 5.5 years and I'm desperate to upgrade. I only have $1000 to work with because that's all the firm is willing to spend on a new computer. (I've tried to convince them otherwise) I do a good bit of CAD, 3D, photoshop etc. No BIM or rendering for the most part but do a little bit of light gaming on the side.

The laptops that I initially pitched were all in the 1500 to 2000 range so they were fairly high end. Since I do some work at home and on the road I wanted something fairly small and light like the m11x I currently use. That also pushes up the price however. I'm willing to sacrifice portability for the sake of performance but don't really want anything bigger than 15". I was thinking what I would consider doing is getting a laptop with a decent CPU (i7), GPU (GeForce 960m or better) with a generic hard drive and low amount of RAM that I would then swap out for an SSD and 8gb or better depending on the capacity as out of pocket expenses.

Any thoughts on a gaming caliber mid-range laptop that can be customized? My preliminary research pulls up a lot of MSI and Acer Aspires. Which are kind of meh but I may just have to settle.

Thanks.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Basic question about the Type Cover for the Surface Pros, are they blue tooth? If I were at a table, can I separate the screen from the keyboard (and still use the keyboard)?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Basic question about the Type Cover for the Surface Pros, are they blue tooth? If I were at a table, can I separate the screen from the keyboard (and still use the keyboard)?
No they connect with the surface via a dock interface. No bluetooth and cant use it while detached.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
On the Surface Pro subject, I need a new laptop and was considering a Surface Pro.

I'm a Solidworks user so need to be able to run that, had a quick read around and it's meant to work.
Does anyone here have a Surface Pro and use Solidworks? Is it running ok?
This is just for home design work and onsite not a work station.

Pants_sl

shitlord
Looking for a more portable laptop than my current 15.6" lenovo y510p. I really love the laptop but it's a hassle to carry around to school and I don't game anymore. I've been eyeing this 14" lenovo flex 3 for $650, and thinking about taking the hdd out and replacing it with a 1tb ssd, which are as low as 200 on slickdeals.net. Any experience with this? I don't quite understand what's different from the yoga series. Yoga 3 has lots of problems I'm reading, and the 700/900 are much more expensive. It seems like to get a big sdd built in, which is really the most important part these days and makes the most difference in speed, always comes with unnecessary other things like a faster i7 or 16gb ram. It seems like the cheapest option is just get a hdd and replace it with your own ssd. Thoughts?

Here's a link
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...01C9:00015CE9:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My last Lenovo was ridiculously hard to get apart, that said I was able to do it and get a SSD installed with no problems after. If it is the same, you will need to baby the plastic clips apart to not break them.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Currently using an HP AMD a6 4400 with 8GB memory and on board graphics.

WillTHISprovide a significant upgrade for processing large projects usingthis?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
A 5400rpm HD will kill you if you're processing hundreds/thousands of pictures. You want to get a SSD.

Otherwise, they aren't horrible laptops. You won't get much reasonable gaming done on a 940M (if at all, then not for long), but it seems that isn't really your focus, so no big deal.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
well I definitely want it to be game-ready as well, but that's kind of the 2nd priority. Thanks for the feedback, Alkorin. I'll pass on that one then.