Laptop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Got this laptop from a guy from Facebook marketplace here in Germany.
https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/produc...syo9j_HN05po9U1-q3hoC_mgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Paid 700 euros, about $800. The original FB post was for a G15 and was posted for 850 euros. Talked him down to 700 but when showing me the laptop it looked different. Think I got a stolen laptop? Am I fucked?

Edit - it was brand new
Nope - thats called getting a steal.

That aside i picked up the Lenovo Legion 7 with the 16GB 3080 in a trade - pretty much set until they come out with 4000 series laptop gpu's

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any insight on gaming labtops, balanced for price to performance. Work friend looking.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
All depends on price range really, that’s honestly all laptops and PCs ever depends on. From there it’s just a game of figuring out what comprises you’re ok with or if you want to go balls to the wall 😂

Jovec

?
Looking at this: Legion 5 Pro Gen 6 AMD (16”) with RTX 3070

3070 and 5800h are enough CPU and GPU for me, though I could be talked into a 3080 and 5900HX.

Cons
  • No Thunderbolt, so no option for eGPU in the future
  • Last gen AMD cpu, so misses out on mobile 6000 series power improvements
  • Charging seems proprietary and not USB-C (probably due to power draw)
  • Legion 7 line seems to be built better, but the same CPU/GPU/RAM/2TB Legion 7 runs $2465.
  • Would prefer a true 17" display

Pros
  • Ships now, not in 3+ months if I configure their higher end model Legion 7
  • $1900 price is good (IMO)
  • I won't have to play the laptop lottery to try to buy something like a Zephyrus 2022 model

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Looking at this: Legion 5 Pro Gen 6 AMD (16”) with RTX 3070

3070 and 5800h are enough CPU and GPU for me, though I could be talked into a 3080 and 5900HX.

Cons
  • No Thunderbolt, so no option for eGPU in the future
  • Last gen AMD cpu, so misses out on mobile 6000 series power improvements
  • Charging seems proprietary and not USB-C (probably due to power draw)
  • Legion 7 line seems to be built better, but the same CPU/GPU/RAM/2TB Legion 7 runs $2465.
  • Would prefer a true 17" display

Pros
  • Ships now, not in 3+ months if I configure their higher end model Legion 7
  • $1900 price is good (IMO)
  • I won't have to play the laptop lottery to try to buy something like a Zephyrus 2022 model

If used or open box doesnt bother you im sure you can find this for around 1500 or so - alot of 3080 laptops are now floating around 1900-2400.

Jovec

?
If used or open box doesnt bother you im sure you can find this for around 1500 or so - alot of 3080 laptops are now floating around 1900-2400.

I saw a used 3080 model for around $2500 on Newegg, but I didn't look too hard otherwise. I'd rather buy new for warranty issues and I don't have to worry about previous misuse/abuse. I know this is Lenovo clearing out old stock for the new incoming lines, but this is replacing a Sandy Bridge 4c/8t Dell with a NV 555 that I bought for travel in 2011 I think, so it will be a huge step up regardless. I upgraded the RAM and moved to SSDs over the years but the (replaced) battery life was down to around 70 minutes. I know the RAM is probably CL22 but I will live with it. The dual 1TB drives will make it easier to dual boot between Windows and Linux. I would have preferred the 7 line for the aluminum chassis but it was hard to justify the price combined with the wait time. Young me would have absolutely bought the 8GB RAM, 512GB NVMe 3070 Legion 7 and swapped the RAM and SSD with better versions, but old me says screw it, let them do it. I still might swap the Mediatek Wifi/BT m.2 with something from Intel.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got a Legion Y545 and it absolutely sucks. I bought it in...mid-2019 I think? It might have been 2018 but I think it was 2019. Thing has had one problem after another. I had to replace a bunch of parts over time and it still keeps having issues. So I caution people to watch out for Legions and if it seems to have power drain problems, just save yourself the trouble and return it because that's just the beginning of the parade of faulty parts.

I think I'm gonna just buy a new laptop and return the last major part I bought (an AC adapter on Amazon for like $70) since it was recent. I'm just tired of dealing with this thing. Most of its problems come down to A) Shoddy parts that stop working and B) Some sort of power issue where the battery drains very fast and I sometimes get messages about the AC Adapter being a mismatch for the wattage of the battery. Keep in mind I've gone through two adapters and two batteries now and it has never stopped having these problems. Something's very wrong with this thing.

Sucks because the best laptop I ever bought was a Lenovo in 2013 and that made me a Lenovo guy, but now I'm pretty much off the train after this debacle of a laptop.

Any suggestions for a laptop I can get for $1000-1500 that is particularly stable and won't fall apart on me like this one? The specs aren't even paramount, I just need stability. The most advanced games I ever play on the computer are from like 2011. I would, however, really like one with a nice screen. My 2013 Lenovo had a glass screen with a gorgeous picture (may have been an early OLED, unsure) and I've never been able to find another laptop with a nice screen like that.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I had two gaming laptops in my life and they were both shit. Loud and super hot and heavy. Absolutely crap. Get desktop.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I can't agree with this enough. Laptop's are always filled with tons of regret

Yeah, it seems that way. Maybe it's time for me to go back to desktops and spring for that crypto mining rig I was considering putting together a year ago.

I don't know though, laptops are super convenient since I'm not home a lot of the time and can get stuff done on the go.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Is this good? Seems like it has high-level specs. Definitely an on-paper upgrade to what I have now spec-wise, for the same price as what I paid for the Legion Y545 3 years ago.

Said Legion is pretty much shitting the bed this week so I'm gonna have to replace it by the weekend. I'll be lucky if it stays on long enough to even move my files to the new one, the hardware is just failing on every level. Never had a computer that was so ready to fail pretty much from the time I got it. I've had to replace everything except the keyboard and screen at this point.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've got a Legion Y545 and it absolutely sucks. I bought it in...mid-2019 I think? It might have been 2018 but I think it was 2019. Thing has had one problem after another. I had to replace a bunch of parts over time and it still keeps having issues. So I caution people to watch out for Legions and if it seems to have power drain problems, just save yourself the trouble and return it because that's just the beginning of the parade of faulty parts.

I think I'm gonna just buy a new laptop and return the last major part I bought (an AC adapter on Amazon for like $70) since it was recent. I'm just tired of dealing with this thing. Most of its problems come down to A) Shoddy parts that stop working and B) Some sort of power issue where the battery drains very fast and I sometimes get messages about the AC Adapter being a mismatch for the wattage of the battery. Keep in mind I've gone through two adapters and two batteries now and it has never stopped having these problems. Something's very wrong with this thing.

Sucks because the best laptop I ever bought was a Lenovo in 2013 and that made me a Lenovo guy, but now I'm pretty much off the train after this debacle of a laptop.

Any suggestions for a laptop I can get for $1000-1500 that is particularly stable and won't fall apart on me like this one? The specs aren't even paramount, I just need stability. The most advanced games I ever play on the computer are from like 2011. I would, however, really like one with a nice screen. My 2013 Lenovo had a glass screen with a gorgeous picture (may have been an early OLED, unsure) and I've never been able to find another laptop with a nice screen like that.

The Y545 was never good, the main Legion series is usually pretty top tier. I use the Legion 7 w/ 3080 and 11900H and its pretty banging. For a while i had the Asus Rog Zephyrus Duo SE 15 which was honestly pretty nice, but i have a dev friend who wanted it for coding use and he got it off me. There arent many laptops id actually buy and not trade around for, and its pretty much just the Legions and Eluktronics. I would use others, i just wouldnt pay cash for them, the Alienware X series is nice if you get it spec'd out but not something id pay money for because...Alienware and its super overpriced. I also have a pretty strong fondness for the Surface Laptop Studio, used it for a bit but went to the MBP M1 Pro.

One thing about most laptops in general is the audio sucks, the outliers from that being MBP and Zephyrus Duo which liikely rival the audio of the MBP. However as the Zephyrus duo spec'd out is over 4k, if the audio sucked it would be kinda criminal.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Is this good? Seems like it has high-level specs. Definitely an on-paper upgrade to what I have now spec-wise, for the same price as what I paid for the Legion Y545 3 years ago.

Said Legion is pretty much shitting the bed this week so I'm gonna have to replace it by the weekend. I'll be lucky if it stays on long enough to even move my files to the new one, the hardware is just failing on every level. Never had a computer that was so ready to fail pretty much from the time I got it. I've had to replace everything except the keyboard and screen at this point.

No because 4000 series with 3060 over $1500

This is pretty much the best bang for buck laptop you can buy period.

I take that back - Apparently Eluktronics is having a sale - not sure how long this will last but you will not find better at the price. - $1700 for 5800H, 3080, 2TB 16GB? - Just throw money at them, dont think just buy before the sale is over.

Ok fuck, this spring sale is nuts, so many amazingly priced laptops and some are spec'd out for under $2000

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
No because 4000 series with 3060 over $1500

This is pretty much the best bang for buck laptop you can buy period.

I take that back - Apparently Eluktronics is having a sale - not sure how long this will last but you will not find better at the price. - $1700 for 5800H, 3080, 2TB 16GB? - Just throw money at them, dont think just buy before the sale is over.

Ok fuck, this spring sale is nuts, so many amazingly priced laptops and some are spec'd out for under $2000

The one I linked has 64 GB RAM though. Even if RAM is less important in the present, I'd think there'd be a huge difference between 16 and 64.

Just got the MAX-15 one regardless. Outside of the RAM, it looks insane for the price like you said. Even though 2k is my budget, I didn't even look at the higher specc'd out ones closer to that price. Just took the $1700 deal and ran

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The one I linked has 64 GB RAM though. Even if RAM is less important in the present, I'd think there'd be a huge difference between 16 and 64.

Just got the MAX-15 one regardless. Outside of the RAM, it looks insane for the price like you said. Even though 2k is my budget, I didn't even look at the higher specc'd out ones closer to that price. Just took the $1700 deal and ran

Ram amount beyond 32gb for gaming and most task is more than enough. Add to that it’s a 4800H versus every other cpu be it 11800h or 5800h, for that price point it’s a terrible buy. That laptop should have been priced like 1100-1300. AMD is rolling out the 6000 series chips for laptops, no reason to buy new what’s already dated.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Absolutely wrong if you think 64gb of RAM is going to do anything at all for you. It won't. Don't be a lemming.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Absolutely wrong if you think 64gb of RAM is going to do anything at all for you. It won't. Don't be a lemming.

I've never really understood big ram amounts on desktops unless you need it for work. 32GB of ram is enough on any system not being used for work and in alot of cases 16GB is enough too. VRAM is good to have alot of if possible, i dont think 8GB is enough nowadays if youre cranking up settings or playing at 1440p.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got the Max 15 deal from Eluktronics. Going to be a great upgrade from a 1060.

Nice, mine is getting here tomorrow which is great because tonight is probably the last use I'll get out of my current laptop, thing is hanging on by a thread.