Laptop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The Max 15 has 2 RAM slots. I don't see how RAM would cause autofollow to fail unless you have some serious connection issues or hitching causing you to lag outside of autofollow range.

IIRC it's Ethereum that uses the GPU, not Bitcoin. For Bitcoin it's all done on ascis now.

You can mine Bitcoin with GPU using NiceHash.

And my Legion laptop doesn't hold a charge either. It's pretty painful going from a Macbook Pro that holds a charge for any entire day to a Legion that holds it for 30 minutes. But, I'll take it since I can play games from the road. And I still have my Macbook for browsing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Max 15 has 2 RAM slots. I don't see how RAM would cause autofollow to fail unless you have some serious connection issues or hitching causing you to lag outside of autofollow range.

IIRC it's Ethereum that uses the GPU, not Bitcoin. For Bitcoin it's all done on ascis now.

I'm not familiar with ascis. Would it be better to mine Ethereum on this computer or Bitcoin? And would adding a big chunk of RAM speed up mining?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not familiar with ascis. Would it be better to mine Ethereum on this computer or Bitcoin? And would adding a big chunk of RAM speed up mining?

I can't really say I know shit about mining, but an asic is a specialized machine for doing one thing. Examples: asic bitcoin miner | Newegg.com

Ethereum is supposedly moving from a proof of work model to proof of stake or something like that. Granted, they've been saying that for years now. I don't do any mining so I have no idea if there is a way to mine on that machine profitably.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Had a crash on the MAX 15 today. Error was "Driver Power State Failure". Wasn't doing anything intensive at the time, just reading on here.

Had such a bad time with my previous laptop that every time this one does anything I get slightly freaked out that maybe I should return it while I can.

Is that error anything to stress over?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had a crash on the MAX 15 today. Error was "Driver Power State Failure". Wasn't doing anything intensive at the time, just reading on here.

Had such a bad time with my previous laptop that every time this one does anything I get slightly freaked out that maybe I should return it while I can.

Is that error anything to stress over?

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bought an ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 (2021) last week, really happy with it's size to performance ratio, but having an exhaust fan firing out the right side makes mouse use uncomfortable. No webcam and no nic port would be my only other complaints.

Ryzen 9 5900HS / RTX 3060 / 16GB DDR4 / 1 TB M.2

No compromises on performance though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Shmoopy

Shopping for laptop now. Going all Intel since desktop is all AMD. No real reason but just to have both.

Cyberpower has some decent deals. Core-I7, RTX 3060, 17" monitor for $1175:

I keep getting ads for MetaPC. Damn they seem super overpriced? Not much laptops selection and they are $3k+ minimum.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

loudgas

I bought mine at BestBuy for 1500cdn, slim pickings up here in Canada but with the conversion I probably did ok. I still prefer to buy at a bricks and mortar places on the off chance I need to take it back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

May I please have some suggestions on a laptop thats ~$750?

My aunts going to run Quickbooks on it, surf the web, youtube, and an occasional shitty game Im sure. Im thinking the only requirements I'd like to see is 16 gigs and 1 tb NVME/SSD. Everytime I start to look at the usual suspects, I end up pricing the laptop out of her range.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
May I please have some suggestions on a laptop thats ~$750?

My aunts going to run Quickbooks on it, surf the web, youtube, and an occasional shitty game Im sure. Im thinking the only requirements I'd like to see is 16 gigs and 1 tb NVME/SSD. Everytime I start to look at the usual suspects, I end up pricing the laptop out of her range.
750$ just barely gets you out of "budget" range and you at least head towards ips monitors instead of tn

this ideapad should be fine and its even touchscreen, old ppl love that

upgrading isn't that difficult either, a little obtuse, but at least you can upgrade shit

Daidraco

750$ just barely gets you out of "budget" range and you at least head towards ips monitors instead of tn

this ideapad should be fine and its even touchscreen, old ppl love that

upgrading isn't that difficult either, a little obtuse, but at least you can upgrade shit
Definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen. Ive been looking through the discount threads etc. and they all seem to have some big ass bottle neck. Last thing I want to hear a year from now is "That laptop you told me to get is slow / not working right." I dont mind building a PC, but shopping for one is a pain in the ass. Laptops are the dumbest shit Ive seen with computers, too. Not only do most websites have shit tier filtering options - but you could come up with a minimum spec guide within a budget, find that laptop, then see a deal with nicer shit for cheaper. You can keep going down that rabbit hole, till you come to finally a good deal. Go to purchase it and.. Its fucking out of stock. Go back to the last one you saw.. its out of stock. *proceeds to flip desk*

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also, I did the $0.00 free shipping and it is already shipped with a delivery date of Friday.

Well, it has been since this post then the MAX 15 came in and has been sitting waiting for me to start this new job. Finally getting it turned on and updated and set up. Office365 working, web browser, probably going to need a couple other things for work I'd guess.

From a "desktop" perspective, pretty sure I'm good with just using the HDMI out to the ASUS monitor and the USBs on board for Keyboard / Mouse... Shouldn't need any sort of dock or port replicator I'd think. Is that still a thing?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, it has been since this post then the MAX 15 came in and has been sitting waiting for me to start this new job. Finally getting it turned on and updated and set up. Office365 working, web browser, probably going to need a couple other things for work I'd guess.

From a "desktop" perspective, pretty sure I'm good with just using the HDMI out to the ASUS monitor and the USBs on board for Keyboard / Mouse... Shouldn't need any sort of dock or port replicator I'd think. Is that still a thing?
yea it's al done from usb c now, not a dedicated port no more

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Sometimes in the next few months ill be looking to get a new laptop for casual gaming while on the road. hoping to spend $500-1000. (..is it possible to get a laptop under $700~ that would play warhammer 2 total war without catching on fire?)

any specific brands or builds that I should keep an eye on for sales/black Friday?

Daidraco

Sometimes in the next few months ill be looking to get a new laptop for casual gaming while on the road. hoping to spend $500-1000. (..is it possible to get a laptop under $700~ that would play warhammer 2 total war without catching on fire?)

any specific brands or builds that I should keep an eye on for sales/black Friday?
I still have a bunch of stuff saved, ironically. Can you be a bit more specific about your specs? The minimum specs on TW:WH2 is a top of the line PC from 15 years ago.

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
basically just looking to upgrade from the hp pavilion i5 gtx1050 that iv been using the past couple years. It has been able to run games on super low settings like madden and total war warhammer 2. but with tons of lag, slow loading and crazy heat. on my last trip it finally got hot enough that it wont turn on anymore. I wont be using often enough to spend tooo much.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I am currently running a $3,500 Lenovo beast I bought at the end of 2019.

However, my kid got my hand-me-down and it was recently physically broken, so I am looking for a $1,500 dollar range gaming laptop for him. Has to be a laptop because he is going from my place to his mom's on the regular.

I would invest in a desktop and just give him my laptop, but the Beast is still too good, and the boy is a couple of years away from me setting up a full Youtube recording studio for him to fuck around on his own channel (desktop thus required).

As an aside, I have had two HP laptops that both shit the bed with the same issue - the battery would hold zero charge and have to be plugged in constantly - to the point that if you pulled out the cord it would turn off. I never found a solution for it.

Daidraco

basically just looking to upgrade from the hp pavilion i5 gtx1050 that iv been using the past couple years. It has been able to run games on super low settings like madden and total war warhammer 2. but with tons of lag, slow loading and crazy heat. on my last trip it finally got hot enough that it wont turn on anymore. I wont be using often enough to spend tooo much.
3060 Price range ~ 900-1000, 3050 TI price range ~850, 3050 ~800, 1650 ~650-750. This of course doing 1 TB NVME, 16 Gigs Ram, a good processor, and WIN 11.
Heres something random, but ymmv on what you're interested in.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I am currently running a $3,500 Lenovo beast I bought at the end of 2019.

However, my kid got my hand-me-down and it was recently physically broken, so I am looking for a $1,500 dollar range gaming laptop for him. Has to be a laptop because he is going from my place to his mom's on the regular.

I would invest in a desktop and just give him my laptop, but the Beast is still too good, and the boy is a couple of years away from me setting up a full Youtube recording studio for him to fuck around on his own channel (desktop thus required).

As an aside, I have had two HP laptops that both shit the bed with the same issue - the battery would hold zero charge and have to be plugged in constantly - to the point that if you pulled out the cord it would turn off. I never found a solution for it.
If the battery has been plugged in for too long it will stop being able to hold a charge. Same for any rechargeable battery. The fix is going to be buy a new battery. If it's not one that can be replaced then it's buy a new laptop time.

Just hit up Amazon and you will find lots of gaming laptops in that range. Asus, Razer, Dell, HP, just a matter of picking which CPU and video card you want to go with.

• 1Like