Laptop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man that is a hell of a laptop for that price too. I wish that thing was out when I bought my Asus G73 several years ago. 4 years of school carrying that beast made me want to kill myself. Would've rather have bought that laptop.

Looks like I can get it through work for $749.. might have to think on this..

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
The one brekk linked is 14"@1600x900, yours is 15"@1920x1080. It's up to you if the increase in size and weight is worth it. I'd go for the 14" myself.

edit : thanks noodle.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looks like the G73-JH's go for about 700 on ebay. Wonder if I could sell mine and pick up that Lenovo.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Both are good I personally love my 14". It's the perfect blend of mobility, while not sucking for long sessions

SAIDIN_sl

shitlord
I'm hoping for some advice from you guys. I have a 3.3k budget for a gaming laptop. I'm replacing my 15ish inch gaming laptop from Sager that I bought two years ago. Based on the laptop itself I would definitely buy again. Due to the company, however (xoticpc), I will never buy from them again. I guess it's my fault for not knowing that if half of my screen has dead pixels, its up to me to fix it.

3.3k budget
Looking for 18+ inch display desktop replacement

Is Alienware the only company out right now that has an 18+ inch model ?

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Alienware are prolly your best bet. Unfortunately that means staring at an ugly piece of illuminated piece of shit til you update again.

Maybe have a look at that Razer laptop? I knew someone who imported the 14" one but he's a bit of a fanboy so I wouldn't trust his "it's amazing!!!!!" review. I think there's a 17inch version as well.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There is lots of companies that sell the 18" clevos. Just not sure why 17 isn't big enough

Sager
Devitech
Cizmo
Xoticpc
Rock
Killer
Avadirect
Malibal
Kobalt
Prostar
Powernotbooks
Cyber power?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Hey bros. I'm going to be looking into this a little be right now but again thought I'd ask for your advice.

I have a family friend who is looking for a new computer. Her requirements: Must run Windows (doesn't matter if 7 or 8 or whatever), she will be doing email, internet, typical MSOffice applications, and she does a VERY little bit of Photoshop (nothing intensive). She would like it as cheap as possible without giving uptoomuch in terms of speed.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Anyone had any joy getting any Debian flavoured or RHEL OS's behaving properly on a new Macbook Air?

Google-fu suggests it's rife with issues but I know there's some talent lurking around this thread.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bro's, my brother in law is looking for a laptop around $500-600. He doesn't game or anything, basically just looking for something solidly built that he can use everyday for email/browsing/etc. You know, normal people shit. I was thinking about Lenovo's since they seem to be the best right now, can anyone recommend any of them specifically? I notice a bunch with touchpads and reversible screens, none of this stuff is necessary but if it comes with it and isn't too intrusive that's ok too.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Alienware are prolly your best bet. Unfortunately that means staring at an ugly piece of illuminated piece of shit til you update again.

Maybe have a look at that Razer laptop? I knew someone who imported the 14" one but he's a bit of a fanboy so I wouldn't trust his "it's amazing!!!!!" review. I think there's a 17inch version as well.
got a friend who has had a alienware laptop and desktop, said they were both horribly overpriced garbage, didnt last him 2-3 years of gaming.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks. Do you all think it's worth the extra cash to pick up the $899 version of the y510 instead?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...-series/y510p/
I ordered the $949 model (p/n 59370005) because according to the internet, that's pretty much the only way to guarantee the second (M.2/NGFF) internal SDD connector. Paying an extra $150 for a 24GB SSD is kind of bullshit, but still, the only other place to buy that model was Amazon for almost $300 more. So it could be worse.

One weird thing that's happened since I ordered a few days ago is that the "pending transaction" for the purchase price (my bank reported it almost immediately after I got my order confirmation email from Lenovo) has completely disappeared from my bank account info. I'll call the bank on Mon and see if they can tell me anything about that. It's still way too soon to celebrate a free computer, but stranger things have happened...

They've also moved up my estimated arrival date from 12/24 to 12/09 to 12/06. So even if I do pay for it, ordering straight from Lenovo is probably not as terrible of an idea as it looks at first glance.

Jazser_sl

shitlord
Looking for a good laptop around $600-800 for my kid. Priorities are reliability, good service so I don't have to get involved in fixing it, lack of bloatware, great battery life, basic computing and web surfing needs, larger storage for music etc. Not much of a gamer so graphics aren't a priority. Any thoughts? Going to college in another year - so want it to last a few years.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Since Lenovo has been talked about quite a bit lately I don't know if anyone saw this deal?

Microsoft Store Online - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Laptop

Mobile site, posting from phone but should be the Lenovo y510p for $949.

The specs are insane for that pice? Haven't priced laptops in a long while but i7 processor, dual sli 750m vid cards, 16gb ram, 15.6" hd display.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The specs are really good for that price for sure.
Techbargains.com is where I saw it. They do a good job of describing why the deal is good, but it's pretty obvious. Dual vid cards in sli.

That'd game for years!!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, that's a really solid deal. The Lenovo store is selling a couple 16GB RAM + SLI models for $1200+, but both of those have the 24GB SSD (instead of the 8GB SSD that'sprobablyjust attached to the HDD instead of the mobo).