Laptop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Lenovo Y480/400 and Y580/500 for general purpose mid-range gaming in sleek packages.

Lenovo G and Z series for non-gamers as basic laptops.

Asus G53 and G73 series for high-end gaming machines.

Anything I missed?

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
High end laptops are fine for gaming now, its a hell of a lot better than being stuck in an office. Its also not just for gaming, they're desktop replacements so if your like me and have tons of programs open like converting movies, gaming, downloading, editing all at once, its great

And its the G75 now brekk

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The G75 is a sweet rig. Bought one when my Alienware was dead and I wasn't sure if Dell would fix it. They did, so I took the Asus back.

I have an Alienware M17x R2 / M11x R3 myself. Yes, I know I overspent... but the thing is, the M17x R2 is 3+ years old and still running pretty much everything at Ultra. The M11x was a gamble and it's more for travelling / whatever, but still capable of gaming.

Evernothing

I have a M17X R3....first time I have ever bought a laptop instead of built a desktop. Love it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Had any overheating issues with yours? My R1 overheated and blew the gfx cards, and my R2 just did the same thing (had to extend the warranty and get Dell to replace them). I think they did away with Crossfire/SLI support in the R3/R4, right?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I have the M18x with the 6990m x2, no heat issues. Yes, it's overkill, but nice to run BF3 on ultra on a somewhat mobile platform.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone seriously do all of their PC gaming on a laptop? What the fuck.
I don't see the logic behind spending 3 grand on a laptop to get the performance of a $1000 desktop. Not to mention gaming laptops aren't super portable anyways, they chew through battery life like mad and are usually pretty damn big/heavy.

Hell for 3 grand, I rather have a gaming desktop, laptop/ultrabook for travel, and a tablet. And you still are probably less than a high-end gaming laptop in price.

Homsar

I don't see the logic behind spending 3 grand on a laptop to get the performance of a $1000 desktop. Not to mention gaming laptops aren't super portable anyways, they chew through battery life like mad and are usually pretty damn big/heavy.

Hell for 3 grand, I rather have a gaming desktop, laptop/ultrabook for travel, and a tablet. And you still are probably less than a high-end gaming laptop in price.
Where are you getting 3 grand? G75 is $1200 and gets you

i7-3630QM processor
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
1TB HD
17.3" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
Incredible cooling

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Where are you getting 3 grand? G75 is $1200
Probably from us Alienware folks. 3 grand is easy enough to do for an M17x/M18x.

The G75 is really well-priced, though. If I hadn't been able to fix my M17x R2 for $250, I'd have gone with the G75VW.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I've pretty much gone from my old M1730 to a M17xR1 to my M18x via the one thing Dell does right - the complete care warranty. Had heat issues with previous iterations that pretty much forced them to upgrade me under warranty - though I paid extra this last time for upgrades.

khanable_sl

shitlord
Anyone have any recommendations on laptop/keyboard cleaning products? Yes I know, LOLOL JIZZ CUM HAHA etc, but for real -- finger oils, what is the go-to product?

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just bought a Sony Vaio T13 ultrabook - enjoying it a lot.

Was really skeptical on the whole touch screen laptop concept before I got to play with a bunch of them at work. Now I find myself using it a decent amount (particularly with Win8).

Not a powerful ultrabook by any stretch - i5, 6gb ram, hybrid HD/SSD, no graphics card, no dvd drive. But nice, lightweight, good keyboard, decent enough trackpad (although with external trackball and touch screen I don't really need it). Really good little machine. Going to upgrade to 8gb of ram from my older laptop (1 year old, same ram type). Might do 16gb since laptop ram prices plummeted yet again it seems.

Haven't tried to play any games on it yet, other than the basics of solitaire and mahjong. Mainly just an email/web browsing/smartglass laptop. Soon enough will get my Surface and then not sure what the hell I'll really use it for, but I wanted a new touch laptop after playing with them a lot.

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
Has anyone used one of the Google Chromebooks? The lady wants a laptop but she doesn't do anything but check email/surf. I'm debating on a tablet of some sort, but the chromebook looks kinda nice.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Has anyone used one of the Google Chromebooks? The lady wants a laptop but she doesn't do anything but check email/surf. I'm debating on a tablet of some sort, but the chromebook looks kinda nice.
You are limited to whatever apps Google has on offer. If you do go Chromebook, grab the $250 Samsung; avoid the Acer and the $450 Samsung. I'd recommend really thinking about an iPad or one of the many good Android tabs available out there, like the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for $299.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Chromebook is basically a bulkier android tablet with a keyboard instead of a touchscreen. Decide if that is something that sounds appealing to you or not.

(Yeah I know it doesn't actually run the android OS, but the comparison is valid regardless)

Silence_sl

shitlord
You can't load apps on it like you can with a regular Android device. In that manner, I'd think it'd be really easy to outgrow very quickly versus a tab running some flavor of Android.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user