Laptop Computers

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Lenovo Y480/400 or Y580/500 can pay extra for 1080 screen or buy base model with 1366*768

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I appreciate it, but anything over $300 I gotta come out of pocket, and $360 is probably around the hard cap on the budget right now.

I had a great one I found on newegg for $329, but it sold out before she had a chance to order it. I've realized I'll be ok with the 3000 series integrated chip, as the laptop she uses that I've borrowed before to play League has a shittier processor than an i3, 2g of RAM, and a much older integrated chip. So, found a bunch of i3s, with 4g+ of RAM and 3000 series chips for $340 or less that all look perfectly serviceable. Stopped looking until she tells me how she wants to pay for it, or gives me the payment info/money, since the last one I spent time finding went out of stock before she got around to ordering.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
I have to rant.

Sometimes Apple just makes me so angry! I got my Macbook Pro, and the first straw was that there was no option to keep the computer on when I closed the lid... There is literally NO option to keep the laptop active when you close the lid. WHAT THE SlkFJ

I had to download a third party system preference add-on to enable it.

Now, I found out that every mouse has built-in acceleration, and there is NO option to disable it.

Is Apple the biggest troll or what? Like seriously, why do you have a "feature" that can't be disabled. It's retarded. I've always disliked Apple for their retarded "simplicity" features. My opinion is now even worse, owning a Macbook lol. I'm ok with my iPad though; maybe because I don't own an Android device.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I had to download a third party system preference add-on to enable it.
It's stuff like this that makes me do a double-take and throw in a "what the fuck?".

If you have to download a third-party program on a PC, no one bats an eyelash. If you have to do it on a Mac (or jailbreak an iPhone, or whatever), people go apeshit because Apple should fix everything for you, or something. You solved the problem by downloading something that fixed it. What's the issue here?

Now, I found out that every mouse has built-in acceleration, and there is NO option to disable it.

Is Apple the biggest troll or what? Like seriously, why do you have a "feature" that can't be disabled. It's retarded. I've always disliked Apple for their retarded "simplicity" features. My opinion is now even worse, owning a Macbook lol. I'm ok with my iPad though; maybe because I don't own an Android device.
No, they aren't trolling you. They didn't include a feature that Microsoft included in Windows. Again... if you can fix it, do so and there will be no problem anymore. A quick google turned this up:

I don't have a real Mac (I use a VM) so I can't comment on whether this will work or not. Try the above in a Terminal and let us know. Good luck. Some people say it worked for them, some say it made their mouse unusably slow.

Here's the thread it came from:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361844

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
But it's an anti-feature.

It's like a feature (extra) that can't be turned off. Why would anyone do that? It's like having no way to disable a screensaver. To me, it's super troll status. I can't think of something like that on Windows (at least not annoying ones).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Not sure. I don't think it would do anything for me either way as VMware uses the mouse from the host OS.

Looked some more and found a few apps:

1. One that apparently disables acceleration until you reboot. YMMV, it's a direct download link and I haven't installed it (too lazy to set my preferences to allow apps from non-Apple-approved devs). It's free.http://db.tt/r2aGDoDB

2. One in the iTunes store called Decelerate, $0.99. The posted reviews aren't good, but the overall review is 4 stars, so... dunno.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dece...49448909?mt=12

3. Found another one that someone reported as working in ML. This one looks promising.http://smoothcursor.com/

Dumar_sl

shitlord
i'm still lost why anyone in their right fucking mind would buy a mac for anything. the screen is pretty? about the only thing i could ever think of.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
i'm still lost why anyone in their right fucking mind would buy a mac for anything. the screen is pretty? about the only thing i could ever think of.
My bro has a mac because they are usually better built then other laptops. He had his last macbook for almost 6 years before it died. This is pretty astounding considering he used to tear through laptops in less then a year. He's an auto mechanic so his hands usually have oil or some other corrosive substance on them. Other then my bro, most of the people I know who own a mac are usually developers/ linux admins who need the integrated terminal. Cygwin a lot of times ust doesn't cut it when trying to use it as a development tool. Yeah I know you can use the integrated terminal with Linux but Gnome/unity still fucking stuck. With regards to gaming, yeah mac's just fail.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They're well-built, the screens are amazing (and you spend hours staring at it, so it should be a factor), it can run both OS X and Windows on bare metal, and is a passable gaming laptop if that's what you want?

It's no desktop replacement a-la Alienware/ASUS/whatever, but they're good quality machines. That's why people* buy them.

* - people who aren't sucking from the Apple teat, that is.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
The new mint is pretty good. Using that at work now and finding it pretty handy.

I do use all three though for certain shit, with VirtualBox and shit it's even more pointless having an OS loyalty.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thoughts on mid range gaming laptop... mainly to handle league.... 600 to 700 range. 15 inch monitor. Not looking to replace desktop but to have something to play on while watching TV or sitting in bed.

I realize this is similar to the last request... but I think I'm looking for something a bit better than he was.

Kyn

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone have feedback on how durable Mac laptops are if you're backpacking? I'm not as concerned with features as I am with weight, battery duration and durability.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone have feedback on how durable Mac laptops are if you're backpacking? I'm not as concerned with features as I am with weight, battery duration and durability.
Weight and battery life on the Pros are very good.

Durability - they are built solidly, but the aluminum unibody can be dented easier than you might think, so if you are particular about keeping your stuff "like new", be aware of that.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
my friend's laptop's hard drive just took a shit. would it be possible for me to swap in the hard drive from my shitty old lap top with a broken screen without too much trouble, or is windows going to recognize different hardware and seize up?

basically, am i going to have to reinstall windows?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Depends on the version of Windows. If it's Vista or newer, possibly not. If it's XP or older, most likely.

Are the two laptops similar at all? i.e. both Intel storage controllers? If they are, you have a greater chance of success.

Oh, and if your laptops have different CPU brands (if yours is Intel and your friend's is AMD), it will likely fail, but you can toggle the IntelPPM service to get around this. It should be enabled for Intel CPUs, disabled for AMD CPUs. If this is the case, you'll have to boot using a recovery CD/DVD to do this, as you won't be able to load Windows (not sure if Safe Mode will work either, as the CPU driver is pretty basic stuff).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think my dad actually has one of those lying around somewhere. Along with his slide rule, 100 lb oscilloscope and teletype.