Lasik Eye Surgery

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is definitely possible that the tech has changed in the last 3 or 4 years. I should probably check it out again

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
me to. do you need to have a stable perscription for a couple of years before you do it? thats what i remember hearing.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Grimble - They say you need a stable prescription for a year or so now.

I am thinking about getting LASIK or PRK done. I have worn glasses/contacts for 32 years and dammit, I want to wake up one morning and actually be able to see without needing something on/in my eyes.

Anyone have really bad astigmatisms on top of their bad vision and had this done? How did it go?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I have a bad astigmatism in one eye, that may have been part of my very expensive LASIK quote.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I had it done about ten years ago, and I've never had a single problem. My eyesight has probably deteriorated a little bit, but no more than due to normal aging. My vision now is better than my girlfriend's when she has corrective lenses in.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Grimble - They say you need a stable prescription for a year or so now.

I am thinking about getting LASIK or PRK done. I have worn glasses/contacts for 32 years and dammit, I want to wake up one morning and actually be able to see without needing something on/in my eyes.

Anyone have really bad astigmatisms on top of their bad vision and had this done? How did it go?
Depending on how bad it is, it could disqualify you from getting lasik done. They can do it for astigmatism but to a point... won't really know till you have a consultation.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I had mild astigmatism in my right eye, not sure if the Lasik fixed it or if it's so minor as to not matter, but my vision is pretty much perfect now.

Forgot to mention that my dad had Lasik back when it was pretty much brand new 20 or so years ago. He was in his early 40's at the time. His vision is still very good, although he does wear glasses when driving at night. But he's 63 now, so understandable. He has no regrets about it either, and the technology is leaps and bounds better today. Back then you had one eye done, waited two weeks, and then they did the other eye, just in case they destroyed one or the other.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
It's the best money I ever spent on my health. I had it done almost 10 years ago. It will affect you in a positive way every day of your life. From going to the movies, rain won't bother you on the way in and no glare, to having the option to pick up cheap sunglasses in a pinch it is all positive. I need readers now but I would have needed then without the surgery as well. Make sure you go to someone with the latest laser and laser flap cutting, read the contact, and go. I mention to read it because good physicians will include free touch ups for free. Discounters typically charge extra for everything including the most modern lasers.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pretty much what Guurn said. I had mine done about 7 years ago and it was best decision I ever made. I had 20/200 vision and couldnt see shit without my glasses. Never could have a nice pair of sunglasses or anything. I had to spend close to 3K but I got 18 months at 0% interest and managed to pay it off. I'm very eye squeamish and couldnt even watch people put their contacts in. they gave me a tylenol PM to relax me before the procedure and it honestly wasnt that bad. 15 minutes and when it was done i could see 20/20 and still can to this day. I had maybe 2 days of dryness and a month of seeing halos around lights at night, but everything is good now.

Like Guurn stated, I went to a very reputable Lasik doctor and got the plan where if anything ever goes fuzzy again they will touch up my eyes. I doubt I'll ever need it, but its fantastic knowing I wont ever need my Harry Potter glasses again.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm interested in the surgery, but I apparently have freakish eyes that can endure the Night & Day contacts for an entire month without any negative effects. I never get dry or itchy eyes. I never wake up with cloudy vision. I've never suffered an eye infection. I change my contacts once every 30-50 days. I just can't justify the money when my contacts hardly affect my life as is.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Same with me, I put a contact in and take it out when it starts bothering me... Which is usually 30-45 days. I've got friends that can't go 8 hours with theirs in.

Intox_sl

shitlord
I had retina reattachment about 13 years ago. I wonder if it is possible for me to get lasik. I have a decent scar on my eye. I can wear contacts and my vision hasn't changed in years.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
My experience very closely mirrors eomer's. I paid 3500 cash to have it done at the chain place "laser vision center" that advertises on the radio. (4000 dollar procedure, 10% off for insurance or 500 off if you pay in full... Fuck insurance). Got it done 1 year ago. Custom LASIK, ended up at very close to 20/15.

Best money I have ever spent.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
My experience very closely mirrors eomer's. I paid 3500 cash to have it done at the chain place "laser vision center" that advertises on the radio. (4000 dollar procedure, 10% off for insurance or 500 off if you pay in full... Fuck insurance). Got it done 1 year ago. Custom LASIK, ended up at very close to 20/15.

Best money I have ever spent.
P.S. as someone that would have lost my job if they screwed up my eyes... It's still worth it. I was convinced to do it when I talked to the FAA doctor and he told me that he has not ever had to disqualify a single pilot or air traffic controller after the procedure.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I'm 24 and am told that my corneas are too thin. She said another doctor might still consider it, or that PRK would be a safer route. (This doctor was examining me for custom LASIK).

I've done some research on PRK but I'm still confused - if another doctor would consider it, does this mean that she's too inexperienced and didn't want to damage me or is my case really is too dangerous no matter who the doctor is? I can't seem to find a solid answer. Also, I've been told PRK and Lasik are *completely* different procedures and that my corneas being too thin have no effect on the PRK procedure - I don't really believe this. Any answers here?

edit: Oh, I've been a steady -8.00 for almost 5 years prescription wise and have astigmatisms in both eyes but they are minimal I'm told.

Also, I have to be very cautious because if I fuck up my eyes I lose my future jobs and quite possibly the one I have now...
It's hard, but I want to get rid of the hassle of contacts and have good vision so fucking bad it's crazy.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My wife was around -9.5 +/- .25 in each eye. After a ton of research she settled with ICL because they'd have to take too much off to correct her vision, basically what eX was told. From what I understand LASIK is riskier as your eyes are worse.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I got LASIK done around 10 years ago, it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I am not sure what the procedure is called, but they cut open my eye and nuked it with a laser. It is kind of frightening, but I went for it.

For around 1 - 2 years I had better than 20 / 20 vision. For the following 4ish years I had 20 / 20. After that point my vision started to fade a bit. I have a really light prescription now and I wear glasses. Technically, I don't need to wear them to drive, but I can't quite see signs from as far as I would like without them.

Apparently, I do not have much material in my cornea which wouldn't allow them to do the procedure again without a really long healing period and it would be the last time ever. Instead of going that route, I just have my glasses and that is fine. If I had to chose, I would do it all over again no question. Going from seeing blurry blobs without glasses to not needing glasses for 90% of my day was well worth it.

LASIK is where they cut a flap (with a blade in the past, now most use lasers) and then reshape your cornea

PRK, they basically remove the surface and reshape the cornea, hence the longer healing time - you need to have your surface cells grow back over your cornea

The difference is, PRK doesn't take as much off on your eyeball and no permanent scar is left

Column_sl

shitlord
There is always risk involved in any of these procedures. Don't let people tell you otherwise because they are Lieing.

I would never even consider Lasik because contacts are so good now they are pretty much at the point where it never bothers me personally.
So that risk far outweighs the benefit of Lasik

For some people that have massive problems with contacts, I would go for the Lasik. It's personal choice tho

I had it done about 14 years ago. It was ridiculously expensive back then, but I still consider it to be the best money I ever spent. For the first two years I had issues with dryness, then one day the problem just went away and has never come back. I haven't had any deterioration of vision since the surgery.