Last Epoch

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If the trading get's you hard, it seems like speccing into the tradeable faction/tree would be your goto. As for what you trade? Some rare shard is likely to become the SOJ equiv. T7 purps? Seems like there are enough drops and mats that drop where that isn't really a problem. The market will decide if it cares at all.

I'm still likely to ssf. So shrug.
They have said crafting mats are not going to be tradeable. So no SoJ equivalent here.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I put dozens of hours into this with no multiplayer and trading and it felt fine. The fact you can spec into a no trading guild and get higher quality drops is pretty cool. Anyone who like arpgs passing on the game due to trading and multiplayer just existing is doing themselves a disservice. Overall it’s already a solid single player arpg and has just continued to improve. Lots of builds, lots of crafting, no need for build guides unless you want to push a character to the hardest of the hard at the end of the game. It’s got a lot of content you don’t need a build for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Single player is fine, there's nothing wrong with a single player game, but if you're going to include a real, true multiplayer mode it should include full trading, not this amalgamation of "sort of" trading.

I think the biggest gripe surrounding it all is this was never an original design intent as far as I know. Also, in a game that is going to be implementing seasonal resets its just kinda feels bad having stuff you aren't sure you want to build around sitting in your inventory that is never going to get used. Especially if your friends are playing something that could really use it, and it dropped while they weren't in your party. It doesn't really matter how plentiful loot is there are still going to be chase items unless they plan on making EVERY single "unique" or build defining item easily target farmable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Servers working much better today, unsure if due to not many players being online or if they tweaked something but so far so good.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
This is a false equivalency. Can you name an item acquisition game that implemented trade but didn't balance around it, thus it was truly optional?

Price fixers, scammers, flippers, the Mathil Effect, inherently reducing item value due to other players getting more value from the same item(Emblems during Legion league are best example of this, but Uber key frags are a current one). I'm sure I could list more if I took the time. There's tons of minuses to a game that includes trade. I'm going to assume "and balances around the assumption that it's being used", because otherwise why bother?
Making trade mandatory by putting in trash drop rates is just as much a bad choice as making trade impossible. Why can't you keep ssf drop rates but then have player A be able to trade with his friend player B because he gets a cool item for his build or a build he wanted to try out?

They've been reasonably eloquent about the pros and cons of trade in their missives. And I more or less agree they've described the issues well. If you can't see any downside to unfettered trading, you've commited to an extrememly short lifecycle for the game and/or extremely degenerate farming. In which case run you the risk of pushing people to ssf anyway, and then you've undermined all the work they put into multiplayer in the first place.

Why would trading result in an extremely short lifecycle? If anything i'd say it would lengthen the lifecycle because people can switch builds around when they get bored of their current one without having to spend 500 hours on a build they're bored of praying to rngesus that they get the items they need for the new one they want to play.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did they do the graphics over? Looks pretty good.
They have been reworking older mobs that looked like shitty blobs as well as adding in new graphics for unique weapons and armor that didn’t have any in the past. I don’t really know how far along they are with those two initiatives but the graphics are constantly improving so if you haven’t played in a while it looks quite a bit different.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Put a few minutes in multiplayer with my son (11). It's his first ARPG and he likes it. I'm a huge sucker for the genre; hopefully this means I don't have to hide in a corner when I play anymore.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Making trade mandatory by putting in trash drop rates is just as much a bad choice as making trade impossible. Why can't you keep ssf drop rates but then have player A be able to trade with his friend player B because he gets a cool item for his build or a build he wanted to try out?

Why would trading result in an extremely short lifecycle? If anything i'd say it would lengthen the lifecycle because people can switch builds around when they get bored of their current one without having to spend 500 hours on a build they're bored of praying to rngesus that they get the items they need for the new one they want to play.
Aren't they doing that? You can trade items with players in the same session. Play enough with someone, you can trade items not dropped while playing together.

Khane

Aren't they doing that? You can trade items with players in the same session. Play enough with someone, you can trade items not dropped while playing together.

This is such a weird and complicated way of handling this that adds nothing over just allowing trade.... if this is how they are handling this.

It's literally a Rube Goldberg machine

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is such a weird and complicated way of handling this that adds nothing over just allowing trade.... if this is how they are handling this.

It's literally a Rube Goldberg machine
It allows them to ignore having to balance around trade. Or, at least put much less effort into it.

What do you think puts off more players? This system or PoE's trade system?

• 2Like

Khane

It allows them to ignore having to balance around trade. Or, at least put much less effort into it.

What do you think puts off more players? This system or PoE's trade system?

I guess I just get annoyed by the idea of balancing around trade in a game that will have full resets every ~3 months.

I don't believe "balance" is difficult to achieve at all when everything's gone that often.

Also, it's pretty lulzy having a non ladder that seasonal characters get moved to that you... won't be able to trade in? Unless they plan on allowing it on non ladder.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I just get annoyed by the idea of balancing around trade in a game that will have full resets every ~3 months.

I don't believe "balance" is difficult to achieve at all when everything's gone that often.

Also, it's pretty lulzy having a non ladder that seasonal characters get moved to that you... won't be able to trade in? Unless they plan on allowing it on non ladder.
Why are you playing PoE leagues then? ;)

What does "balance" mean in this context? Am I correct in assuming you mean a trade system where almost everything is freely tradeable but participation is truly optional?

I'll admit I don't know LE's plans for "standard" and seasonal characters, I can't comment on that.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
But why do you have to put dogshit drop rates in if you're going to allow trading? Why is that somehow mandatory and you can't just have decent/good drop rates while allowing trade?

I wasn't around for them but I do remember seeing literally every streamer/youtuber bitching about the PoE leagues when they took their drop rates and threw them even further into the shitter and nobody was getting loot and items. It's almost like people enjoy being able to make builds to kill stuff with and not spend 500000 hours grinding with trash gear so that they can finally one day (if they're lucky enough) play a build they actually want to.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Supposedly it keeps people playing. PoE is basically required to do it because the economy needs a critical mass to function. It's already breaking down at this point. I've gotten 2-5x for items that wouldn't have sold at those prices a month ago. Similarly, items I would have assumed existed(a simple 4 T3 affix ring, for example) had 0 hits last night.

People that play longer and are more invested in the game are more likely to purchase MTX. I have no numbers to back this up, that's more of a feels argument. Would you purchase MTX for D3 and its weekend-length seasons?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I gave POE $60 like two times now in the 4-5 leagues Ive played. I fugure I owe SOMEHTING back for the 100s and 100s of hours they gave me. Its only fair IMO.

I do still think that these games are best played alone and SFF, but thats just my opinion. But I could care less that these dudes added trade and multiplayer because it does not affect me and the way I play at all.

Last edited:

Khane

Why are you playing PoE leagues then? ;)

What does "balance" mean in this context? Am I correct in assuming you mean a trade system where almost everything is freely tradeable but participation is truly optional?

I'll admit I don't know LE's plans for "standard" and seasonal characters, I can't comment on that.

PoE isn't even remotely balanced around the fact that trading exists.

It's balanced around a tug of war between out of touch developers with a Messiah complex and streamers who play the game professionally.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Supposedly it keeps people playing. PoE is basically required to do it because the economy needs a critical mass to function. It's already breaking down at this point. I've gotten 2-5x for items that wouldn't have sold at those prices a month ago. Similarly, items I would have assumed existed(a simple 4 T3 affix ring, for example) had 0 hits last night.

People that play longer and are more invested in the game are more likely to purchase MTX. I have no numbers to back this up, that's more of a feels argument. Would you purchase MTX for D3 and its weekend-length seasons?

But is that what actually keeps people playing? Like I said, every single streamer/youtuber made rage quit videos for those leagues when they made their drop rates way worse than usual. I wasn't around so maybe it was all just clickbait and they still put all their hours in and everybody loved those leagues, I dunno. PoE and d3 are vastly different in more ways than just item drop rates, and LE/grim dawn/TQ are way different than either of those, too.

For myself personally, I don't continue playing PoE leagues for "if I just grind 450 more hours I can maybe afford to pay for a new build if I don't do anything with any of the currency I grind", I continue playing them until I can no longer afford to play any builds that I want and get bored of the ones I am playing and then its time to go... because i'm bored.