Last Epoch

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Wow, the hype died fast, really. Two days ago every ARPG streamer and their moms played it, login queue >9000 and whatnot. Today I see most of the people back to their GR150 routine "waiting for D4 next week". Bizarr.

Player count still increasing though, at 40k playing now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Kind of a bad omen that 40k players destroyed their login servers
Depends how many they were preparing for. I can’t think of any big launch that didn’t take a shit on launch week. 40k seems low but there’s bound to be shit you weren’t ready for, unoptimized code, not enough servers, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cloud services and servers are supposed to solve exactly and specifically this kind of problem, and like you're saying 40k is a very small number. Asmon gets 3x that number of viewers on any new release he's playing.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Cloud services and servers are supposed to solve exactly and specifically this kind of problem, and like you're saying 40k is a very small number. Asmon gets 3x that number of viewers on any new release he's playing.
Cloud services don’t write your network code for you, they just host your shit. If you fucked something up and each player takes up more and more space because sockets aren’t closing or some shit it’ll eventually tank.

• 1Like

Khane

Cloud services don’t write your network code for you, they just host your shit. If you fucked something up and each player takes up more and more space because sockets aren’t closing or some shit it’ll eventually tank.

We are saying the same thing. Not looking good for Last Epoch

Hekotat

Kind of a bad omen that 40k players destroyed their login servers

You could still play offline so I'm not getting the hate. Sure it was Rocky but they got it sorted it rather quickly. People act like 95% of online launches aren't complete shitshows and anticipated.

• 1Like

Khane

I'm not sure why people accept this as easily as they do, especially when the numbers that caused it are quite low and, as mentioned, Cloud hosting solves the scaling issue. It should be less excusable these days with the amount of past debacles to reference and the solutions to the problem that exist now. But for some reason people find it more excusable.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Because in the grand scheme of things I don’t really care if a game in beta launches their multiplayer and it hiccups and they fix it within a couple days. That’s what beta and early access is for.

“Cloud solves scaling” isn’t some magic wand that fixes all things that could go wrong with your code once you hit numbers you’ve never tried before from people all over the planet.

If a game is in full release and it was weeks or months of connection problems, ok, maybe I would cry about it.

Hekotat

I'm not sure why people accept this as easily as they do, especially when the numbers that caused it are quite low and, as mentioned, Cloud hosting solves the scaling issue. It should be less excusable these days with the amount of past debacles to reference and the solutions to the problem that exist now. But for some reason people find it more excusable.

Accept what? Being able to play?

I never expect to be able to play on a launch day, ever. There is always some issue and I can only remember 1 or 2 launch days that went off without a hitch. You're acting like this is the only game to ever take a shit on launch day, I can remember blizzard launch and patch days that kept people from playing for 3-5 days.

And on top of that I was still able to play the entire time either in single player for a short amount of time when I couldn't get online. I'm not sure why you are coming in swinging on this so hard.

Khane

The game has been sold and open to players for years. These early access games are beta in name only. The people trying to log in paid for the game.

It's nonsense to give this developer a free pass on not even being able to handle such a small launch surge

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have seen very simple code do unintended things. I’m not naive enough to think every multiplayer game should have perfectly executed, flawless multiplayer the day it launches. I honestly can’t even think of a game that didn’t have problems on their initial multiplayer launch.

Last Epoch gets a big golden multiplayer free pass from me.

Khane

Well we certainly have all experienced launch day issues many times over the years. But plenty of games launch with much less severe or even no issues.

And just because you expect it based on past experiences doesn't mean the criticism isn't fair or warranted. They didn't even have a functional queue.

Hekotat

Criticism is fair but you're acting like it's the end of the world.

• 1Like

Khane

Criticism is fair but you're acting like it's the end of the world.

I mean come on... it's completely valid, tempered criticism. You've been on this board long enough to have seen some epic outbursts. This is not that.

Xevy

Log Wizard
PoE and WoW have both had omega fucked queue's within the last year or two. It's just a shitty MMO norm at this point, especially for hyped shit and early access stuff.

It's funny PoE is the only game I expect to play day 1 of a league launch with little to no problems. Outside Ultimatum and Metamorph in near recent history you basically wait 15 minutes and you're in. There's 0 chance D4's day 1 works for 75% of the people.

Fuck, even EQ TLP's have queue issues on launch days.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well we certainly have all experienced launch day issues many times over the years. But plenty of games launch with much less severe or even no issues.

And just because you expect it based on past experiences doesn't mean the criticism isn't fair or warranted. They didn't even have a functional queue.

This is launch?

Did I miss something here?

Is it 1.0 already? I thought this was just the MP intro

Khane

This is launch?

Did I miss something here?

Is it 1.0 already? I thought this was just the MP intro

If you promise to keep up with the conversation I promise to make you a cottage cheese lasagna