Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

iannis

Musty Nester
Olliver would have been a better replacement, but he might not have been.

But Comedy Central probably wasn't willing to offer one hour a week instead of 30 minutes a day. That makes a huge fucking difference.

Stewart was a god damn machine like that. I have no doubt that TDS was his LIFE for all those years. He's said as much in interviews directly and when asked, "Do you miss it" he gets that look like "This guy. This guy." and then says, "No. I don't miss it. I'm honored and humbled to have been a part of it, but I don't miss it."

Shit was more than a lot of work.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've heard that it was pretty much a 20 hour a day job for John Stewart. It was a great show but the chances of finding a replacement with that level of talent and that much passion for it probably ain't going to happen. It's sad though, because TDS/Colbert was a great hour of TV any night you didn't have something else to watch and now the only thing I watch on comedy central is South Park and even that was pretty meh this year. I will watch @midnight occasionally if it's on when I'm flipping channels but it's not something I ever seek out or DVR.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah, I've heard that it was pretty much a 20 hour a day job for John Stewart. It was a great show but the chances of finding a replacement with that level of talent and that much passion for it probably ain't going to happen. It's sad though, because TDS/Colbert was a great hour of TV any night you didn't have something else to watch and now the only thing I watch on comedy central is South Park and even that was pretty meh this year. I will watch @midnight occasionally if it's on when I'm flipping channels but it's not something I ever seek out or DVR.

don't forget Nathan For You

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is going to get really tired if the next four years of this are all Trump all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
He had to address it on his first show since the election.

I would bet it chills a bit with the upcoming season, as every other news outlet talks about it nonstop.

Either way, great segment in my opinion.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I'm not pro-Trump. I have a lot of criticisms about him and this segment exposes a lot of it. I'm tired of the anti-Trump hysteria and the general behavior of the left, but I simply can't get on board with Trump. I hope he does a good job, but he sounds like a fucking idiot when he talks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Turned the episode off halfway through when I saw he was just going to talk about Trump the whole show.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I used to love this show and like you I tunned out last season. Cancelled my HBO after Westworld finished and didn't look back.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't bad last night, but the thing is, when this show is really good it's following the expose line - the constant Trump shit does him and his staff a huge disservice, because it's clear there are some really talented people working on the show. Leave the Trump crap to Maher, and go back to what made this show really great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Didn't he say he was going to avoid talking about Trump?

This is sad.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wasn't bad last night, but the thing is, when this show is really good it's following the expose line - the constant Trump shit does him and his staff a huge disservice, because it's clear there are some really talented people working on the show. Leave the Trump crap to Maher, and go back to what made this show really great.
He really did have a formula a few seasons ago. It was basically investigative journalism for the younger demographic, which is something we don't see much in general anymore.

But they ruined it. I refuse to watch ever again. Even if they turn it back into the old show, I can't support the beast they've become.

• 2Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I fave up on it for the exact same reason. I can handle a little SJW pandering and the occasional Trump slam, but all he has done lately is carry water for the ID politics people and the Never Trumpers. Its a shame, he had a really good show for a while.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
He's done way too much Trump, but having said that it was still a funny episode which is really all I ask for.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I just don't get the change. Just take the net neutrality episode, for example. That was a super progressive host and his progressive show going balls deep on Obama's pick for head of the FCC. I really believe that it had a substantive effect on the net neutrality question. That gave the show a ton of credit in my eyes, credit that they have completely wasted in the last year. If it doesn't get back to obliterating all comers it is such a waste of a fantastic original idea.

• 1Like