Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well good call. Redfined stupid as i know it i have been convinced. Thanks! Maybe ill start watching jon oliver again now

Cybsled

The program is technically satire/comedy, so 1st amendment protections all but guaranteed the coal guy was going to lose.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that was legitimately fucking funny for the first time in forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
^. Show hasn't felt the same in a while, the humor has been 'goin to the well' with the same jokes far too often lately. This is forgivable with a good info episode so crypto and pence were a good back to back. I'm sure there were other strong episodes after Drumpf, but it certainly feels like that was the peak

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That bit wasn't all that funny until the Marlon Bundo stuff either. He doesn't know how to tone it the fuck down. He always sounds/acts completely exasperated. The show just isn't very clever anymore.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That bit wasn't all that funny until the Marlon Bundo stuff either. He doesn't know how to tone it the fuck down. He always sounds/acts completely exasperated. The show just isn't very clever anymore.
it's not clever b/c 99% of the time they just fall back on their bread and butter, make fun of TRUMP

like all the time.

dead air? trump

democrats in trouble? trump

MAGA? find some dirt on trump

It's like meeting someone for the first time and going... ugh, "This fucking weather is brutal, eh???"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Ill agree the last two weeks have been closer to what the show was. I think that book and cartoon is hilarious.

Im fine with him, you know, doing satire instead of fucking preaching for 30 minutes.

Pence is a dipshit. That was a very fair look at his stupidity. I think hes realizing non stop repetitive Trump bashing is not viable for another 6 years. He needs to get back to Lesser known topics (Crypto) and actual subversive satire and pranks. This is on par with starting his own church or selling the sham Alex Jones suplements. His show was meant to find the absurd and bring it to light, not complain about MUH TRUMPS for 30 minutes. This week is a key week. If he actually spends the segment on ANYTHING other than Russian elections or Trump we may have turned a corner.

PS, Check out the SNL Mueller/Bachelor parody this week with Mueller basically moving on from Collusion and the Female losing her shit because trump is going to have 6 more years" for another example of the shift finally catching up to comedy.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Quick question for anyone still watching this. Has Oliver done a piece of Mueller, or any of the FBI shenanigans yet? I'm just curious given I saw he did a big piece on Giulliani so quickly after he joined the Russian thing.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Quick question for anyone still watching this. Has Oliver done a piece of Mueller, or any of the FBI shenanigans yet? I'm just curious given I saw he did a big piece on Giulliani so quickly after he joined the Russian thing.

Don't be silly.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
started casually watching this again casually while i have HBO subbed for Westworld. still way heavy on the anti-Trump shit (says a lot that i think that even tho i lean left), but better than last year at least.