Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the dalai lama story was fun and interesting, i had no idea china kidnapped the previous other-lama and then made their own version, thats fucking weird as fuck innit. I wonder what happened to the six year old they took, did they kill him? did he suicide and they needed a new one to replace him?

It was a bit surprising that oliver didn't go in a little harder after the lama though, the fact is that the lamas have ruled in tibet for only a few hundred years and they practiced a total dictatorship where slavery existed but probably overall as far as human history is concerned, compared to other rulers of the time the dalai lamas were pretty benevolent to their people. it is pretty weird how short, basic sentences given by the dalai lama ("be good!") are interpreted by hollywood celebs as massive insights into the nature of the universe.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
John Oliver is very talented, regardless of your political views. People dont understand how difficult it is to pull off a show like his. Some people like Tosh.0 but try watching that show and then Oliver and you can see the vast difference in quality. Bill Simmons didnt last 20 episodes on HBO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
John Oliver is very talented, regardless of your political views. People dont understand how difficult it is to pull off a show like his. Some people like Tosh.0 but try watching that show and then Oliver and you can see the vast difference in quality. Bill Simmons didnt last 20 episodes on HBO.
His biggest competition retired, if John Stewart ever comes back, Oliver's ratings are dead. Colbert plays it safe and Trevor Noah has nowhere near the charisma.

I wonder why he keeps repeating the punchlines, it seems many people hate that, but I guess the silent majority of the audience actually needs it, which is kind of sad.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, I kind of like John Oliver(the person). He did have some original material and ideas and for the most part some of jokes were funny, though they do repeat too often. Not even in a theme sense either, he actually repeats stuff. I'm thinking that may just be his personality/humor and maybe not the script?

Anyway I stopped watching back when he became an insufferable cunt, just like Bill Mahr about Trump and the election. I don't care that people pick on him, but they should do it like John Stewart used to, when he does something stupid or highlight the absurdity of the system or comment on how he's using back doors, whatever. Instead every single show became just pure crying and retardedness to the point he lost what made it good in the first place.

About the rating piece. Where did you see his took a dive? Is Nielsen still the go to for ratings or is there something better? Does it account for people who only watched on apps/online like I did? I had HBO through Amazon/ITunes.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Daily Show is unwatchable. Not just because of Trevor Noah, but there is just no funny. They will make a segment out of a D- joke. If the president wasn't a cartoon character they would be so fucked. I have actually stopped watching Last Week Tonight as well because of all the boring Trump outrage, but it's miles better than the Daily Show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
the white guy from TDS is getting his own show that will run after the daily show and replaced the Nightly Report, seems a bit Colbert-ish but more conspiracy theory related, sorta like Alex Jones parody

white privilege strikes again

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Stupid comparison. Tosh.0 isn't even remotely the same format, topics, etc.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
the white guy from TDS is getting his own show that will run after the daily show and replaced the Nightly Report, seems a bit Colbert-ish but more conspiracy theory related, sorta like Alex Jones parody

white privilege strikes again

I hope his show does really well just to butthurt Larry Whilmore.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Daily Show is unwatchable. Not just because of Trevor Noah, but there is just no funny. They will make a segment out of a D- joke. If the president wasn't a cartoon character they would be so fucked. I have actually stopped watching Last Week Tonight as well because of all the boring Trump outrage, but it's miles better than the Daily Show.

It's pretty lousy right now. The first segment is about the current Trump thing of the day. The second segment is normally more stuff about the Trump thing of the day. Then the guest is some random political activist you never heard of.

Compare that to Stewart's show of politics, pre-taped segment about something with a crazy person, then an actor promoting a movie.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was talking about a show with a guy and a screen, usually no guest and if it is it's a mock interview.

A very similar show format, I wasn't talking about the content just the quality. It's hard to engage an audience when it's a simple one way street with you and the guy your watching. He has to be very witty and on point with his delivery or it falls flat as fuck. Tosh pulls this off but Oliver is a master of it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
It's pretty lousy right now. The first segment is about the current Trump thing of the day. The second segment is normally more stuff about the Trump thing of the day. Then the guest is some random political activist you never heard of.

Compare that to Stewart's show of politics, pre-taped segment about something with a crazy person, then an actor promoting a movie.

Yeah I am getting annoyed with the "Trump sucks" show. I actually turned it off mid way through for the first time since I started watching it.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I loved TDS with John Stewart. I stopped watching TDS before the election. It was already bad then, I can't imagine how bad it's gotten now that Trump is elected. I like John Oliver's show, but his GamerGate / online harassment episode made me lose a lot of interest. Trumpeting the badly researched bullshit that every other media company was trumpeting made me lose faith in the rest of the show's reporting/stories.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I still watch this, but it's definitely not as good as it used to be unless they're doing something non-Trump related.

Them doing hit pieces on Trump's kids made me lose a lot of respect for Oliver.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
He's simply a lazy ideologue.

Some of his shit like the mega church thing was good, but instead of doing shit like consumer investigation and topics that he could build a massive audience on, he's become a media lapdog. Which is kind of funny given he went to HBO to do all this "indie" shit or whatever.

He basically decided the reason Jon Stewart was successful must have been all his Bush bashing or something and then ran with the wrong idea full speed.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart was the second best show ever on Comedy Central (after Chappelle's show). The current show should change its name because it is not worthy.

• 2Like