Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
sjoODnu9okN2zQi6h2ov2p7P5TT.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Last Week Tonight with John Oliver[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Talk[/GENRE], [GENRE]Comedy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2014-04-27[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]A half-hour satirical look at the week in news, politics and current events.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

I didn't see a new topic started from the old website.

This weeks story on car loans was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still watch this show but he's been missing some of his stories and marks lately. I mean, he's always been super far left, SJW type, but that's fine I can still appreciate funny twists on interesting topics and not like every joke or thing he does.

I do find myself very divided on issues like this though. Clearly this kind of lending practice is predatory and could result in bubbles and harm to people and the industry etc. There may even be some illegal practices mixed in...whatever, but at the end of the day these people signed up for an 8,000$ loan(his example) for a 3,000$ car....I mean, YOU are at fault in that situation in my eyes, even if the other side was "out to get you"(and they were). So basically you have dumb/desperate people falling for predators and conmen. This is nothing new, it's just not wrapped in prettier paper and backed by a government that does one leg of the battle for you.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Same thing applied to bubble housing lending. Of course, the lenders are greedy cunts who were inviting dumb dumbs to bankrupt themselves but you should have enough sense to know that you can't afford a 500k house when you work at Popeye's and have 36 dollars in your checking.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I still watch this show but he's been missing some of his stories and marks lately. I mean, he's always been super far left, SJW type, but that's fine I can still appreciate funny twists on interesting topics and not like every joke or thing he does.

I do find myself very divided on issues like this though. Clearly this kind of lending practice is predatory and could result in bubbles and harm to people and the industry etc. There may even be some illegal practices mixed in...whatever, but at the end of the day these people signed up for an 8,000$ loan(his example) for a 3,000$ car....I mean, YOU are at fault in that situation in my eyes, even if the other side was "out to get you"(and they were). So basically you have dumb/desperate people falling for predators and conmen. This is nothing new, it's just not wrapped in prettier paper and backed by a government that does one leg of the battle for you.
yeah. I randomly decided to give him another shot when this popped up in my feed the other week.
DNC was a trainwreck. Scandals, conspiracy, Russians...
18min video. Spends 30 seconds talking about the Democrats trying to lose in November. Then the other 17:30 attacking Trump. Like.. what even the fuck? I am WAY more left then 95% of this board these days. and even I have to stop at shit like this. Death of comedy when you won't attack your sacred cows. This is pure propaganda. When you clearly show your arguments to be entirely one sided, can't trust a word you say.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

A government that protects people from usury didn't used to be a left-wing idea. It was, less than 40 years ago, considered a standard role of government.

People butthurt over SJWs do not realize how far to the right the Tea Party has shifted the country as far as our expectations on the role of government.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Actually both sides had a role in the distraction game. Thank Saint Ronnie for starting the entire greed as a virtue culture with all of the deregulation crap he started. Every president on both sides of the isle has kept that ball rolling and anyone who opposed it (Feingold and McCain) either got ran out of DC or politically neutered. The rhetoric might be different, depending on which side it comes from, but the end argument is the same: Rich people are special and should be able to sponge as much money out of the system as they can because everyone else is just lazy.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
It probably is an over-reaction but there is such a dearth of personal responsibility anymore that it's harder to see the line.

• 1Solidarity

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Same thing applied to bubble housing lending. Of course, the lenders are greedy cunts who were inviting dumb dumbs to bankrupt themselves but you should have enough sense to know that you can't afford a 500k house when you work at Popeye's and have 36 dollars in your checking.

Absolutely. The issue is that the actual institutions that due this shit are never allowed to go tits up like they should. The people who they prey on? Not so much. Its the very definition of corporate welfare. Outside of some middle men who where tossed under the bus, no one who drove the housing and banking industries in the toilet actually lost their own money. I am fine with letting stupid hurt, but it needs to cut across all classes when this shit blows up in people's faces.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It probably is an over-reaction but there is such a dearth of personal responsibility anymore that it's harder to see the line.
These people are taking personal responsibility: They need a car so they can get to work.

The loan sharks are the only people willing to lend them money. These people will pay nearly whatever it takes to be able to get to work.

The government is supposed to protect the desperate from being preyed upon.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I agree to some extent but using his $8000 loan for a 3k car, there has been some failure (generally) in the past to warrant that loan. Basically anyone can walk into a Carmax and not get a 300% interest loan unless you've had some real shit breaks (less likely) or poorly managed your assets in the past (more likely?), right? This is Devil's Advocate but you don't *need* a car. I live in LA where public transit is on the way up, it had nowhere else to go but up because it was pure corn-filled shit before, however, plenty of people I know first hand do not own automobiles to get to work.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
These people are taking personal responsibility: They need a car so they can get to work.

The loan sharks are the only people willing to lend them money. These people will pay nearly whatever it takes to be able to get to work.

The government is supposed to protect the desperate from being preyed upon.

Well, there is a politics thread for that discussion but I fundamentally disagree that it is the governments job to protect people being preyed upon. I DO believe it is the governments job to provide a fair playing field and even recourse when things go south, like someone posted above. I'm fine with people losing houses and cars because they overbought or fell for some inflating compound interest scam. But on that same note companies should be allowed to fail when they risk and lose. Anyway, politics thread.

These people are NOT taking responsibility. Yes they need to get to work, and in the example JO provided, she only had 3,000k to spend. That sucks for her BUT there are places to buy a car for 3,000k that will be just fine for this purpose. She CHOSE to take this 8k loan and go in over her head. You'd think if you knew you only had 3k and the the final paperwork says 8k you'd stop for a minute and there are other options. This isn't akin to when you want cable/internet and you only get to choose comcast for 150$ a month because it's the only carrier in your building. She could have gone anywhere from craigslist, classified want ads(yes they still exist) to a non-shady used car dealership.....they do exist.

I know I am cynical and maybe that came with old age, but I believe if these fucking people didn't exist neither would the conmen or predators. There will always be someone to fill a market so the best we can do is get rid of the stupid people or beef-up public transportation in the cities.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That sucks for her BUT there are places to buy a car for 3,000k that will be just fine for this purpose.
Citation needed. I think your premise is flawed. There are plenty of non-loan sharking dealerships in prospering communities. I think you fundamentally do not understand what's available/what's being offered in low-income communities.

Personal anecdote: I've been trying to find a working car under 5k to replace my 16 year old Saturn and I can't find one.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Personal anecdote: I've been trying to find a working car under 5k to replace my 16 year old Saturn and I can't find one.
You should have spoke up sooner, I got rid of my old Colorado a few months ago when I leased my new A5, and I know how you dykes love your pickup trucks.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Maybe you aren't good at leveraging the internet? I found 1300 listings on Craigslist of cars under 5k in the Inland Empire, not exactly Beverly Hills.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I liked when on Mother's Day his main segment was about women's issues, and then on Father's Day his main segment was about women's issues.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
The idea that it's ok to take advantage of stupid people makes me sad.

if you're going to cheat someone out of all their money. I am all for cheating old people with dementia who will be just as happy/sad/confused no matter where they are. fuck it, kill all the old fucks and let the stupid people like myself live in the newly vacant houses.

..I lost hope in John Oliver because he has refused to call out the DNC. Instead he is obsessed with the easy trump bashing. It's still funny sometimes, and it's way better than anything similar on comedy central. But it's certainly not the spiritual successor to the daily show that I want it to be.

Siliconemelons

Personal responsibility is bad because its rooted back into "father knows best" - I think I linked an article about this dumbness in the old forum... but the TLDR is "You vote for trump because he is set up as -father who knows best- and rooted in evil PERSONAL responsibility when it should be SOCIAL responsibility!"

Buy here Pay Here are scummy no doubt, they win when you don't pay, they win when you do - that's how they are set up - but how many of those repos' where "something broke on the car so we stopped paying" .... umm.... if the car had a warranty or whatever but those don't, its on the darn paper work (so is HOW MUCH YOUR PAYING FOR THE CAR!!!!!!~~!~!@~!#~$$#!#%@@~!~!) >_<

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
The idea that it's ok to take advantage of stupid people makes me sad.

if you're going to cheat someone out of all their money. I am all for cheating old people with dementia who will be just as happy/sad/confused no matter where they are. fuck it, kill all the old fucks and let the stupid people like myself live in the newly vacant houses.

..I lost hope in John Oliver because he has refused to call out the DNC. Instead he is obsessed with the easy trump bashing. It's still funny sometimes, and it's way better than anything similar on comedy central. But it's certainly not the spiritual successor to the daily show that I want it to be.

I will say that his main goal is to comment on stories that most media will not report. This is when his show really begins to shine IMO. (90 percent of his stories are topics The Daily show would not have ever thought about and that's what makes his show unique)

He has said many times he did not want to comment on Trump, he was stuck with it.

I believe he would have gone the year never commenting on Dem or Repubs if he could have...that being said he works with what he's dealt and Trump makes it very easy.
(Not a political statement just an observation on comedy)

By no means am I disagreeing with your opinion...just offering another.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

I will say that his main goal is to comment on stories that most media will not report. This is when his show really begins to shine IMO. (90 percent of his stories are topics The Daily show would not have ever thought about and that's what makes his show unique)

He has said many times he did not want to comment on Trump, he was stuck with it.

I believe he would have gone the year never commenting on Dem or Repubs if he could have...that being said he works with what he's dealt and Trump makes it very easy.
(Not a political statement just an observation on comedy)

By no means am I disagreeing with your opinion...just offering another.
I disagree. Oliver's show picks a side. (and its ALWAYS the far left side), then attacks from that side entirely. They absolutely do not pick a topic, then address it from a moderate or fair point of view, finding comedy lampooning failures on both sides of a topic, while making a message. Thats... what Southpark does. This show is pure propaganda however. Sure, sometimes, and even often they may pick a topic which is as cut and dry as they make it out to be. But you would never know which is which, unless you do research yourself into every topic they cover.

Caliane

Citation needed. I think your premise is flawed. There are plenty of non-loan sharking dealerships in prospering communities. I think you fundamentally do not understand what's available/what's being offered in low-income communities.

That seems crazy. I sold my 100% working in great condition 98 Grandprix for like 2k, 4 years ago or so. (I no longer needed a sedan, truck more useful for yarkwork.)
I dunno on the reliability on a Saturn, that you think 16yrs is too old. But, pretty sure you could find something super reliable like a Grandprix person to person, or even at a dealer for under 5k.