Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Every video I have seen of this on youtube is clips of some English dude going "Then trump did this! Guess what else he did; that! Can you imagine if he becomes president this is absurd!"

Pretty much the exact same shit as the rest of the shillary media

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I disagree. Oliver's show picks a side. (and its ALWAYS the far left side), then attacks from that side entirely. They absolutely do not pick a topic, then address it from a moderate or fair point of view, finding comedy lampooning failures on both sides of a topic, while making a message. Thats... what Southpark does. This show is pure propaganda however. Sure, sometimes, and even often they may pick a topic which is as cut and dry as they make it out to be. But you would never know which is which, unless you do research yourself into every topic they cover.

I can see the point made there, I guess my point wasn't so much left/right as more as to the rarity of topics he chooses.

Other than the straight political stuff, he tends to at least mention different world events and brings up subjects that are rarely discussed. (At least here in the US)

I do not believe he is obligated to give an impartial view on anything, as he is not a reporter. I do appreciate that he makes the effort to discuss unusual topics.

Brexit
FIFA
Tobacco
Special Districts
Debt and retirement
Televangelists and idiotic church rules for IRS

a few examples

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I stopped watching it after his first piece on Trump and it was full of literally nothing. Then made fun of his German heritage for some reason.

It was just sad. Really if there were crimes and shit to expose.. then by all means! While Jon Oliver is funny, this show is pretty shill.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's a good show to get a few laughs while the wife and I fool around on a couch. Don't have to pay attention much, just laugh at tangential jokes. Know what you're watching and take whatever few bits of truth you can filter through that.

Is there another show that offers a better balanced portrayal of news + laughs?

spronk

FPS noob
sadly I can't really think of any. Real time is just 45 minutes of assholes shouting while Maher rails against Trump, vaccines and Islam, Daily Show is Noah smirking and saying "America! So weird!", Sam Bee is basically Bill Maher in drag and has jumped on the 100% Trump talk bandwagon too now.

They should put up a news channel on twitch and let people try to be their own news casters, while 90% would fail badly I bet some interesting ones would come out.

I do like the Oliver segments where he brings up interesting topics, like the auto loans one was pretty good, but any time he starts talking about Trump I just fast forward. Yeah, we get it, Trump is crazy, you are just one of 5 million people covering it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, we get it, Trump is crazy, you are just one of 5 million people covering it.
I don't mind anyone saying that (and they all do). But why not call out the retarded shit the other side is doing?

A dozen years ago, you sure as shit had people calling out Kerry and Bush, although probably slanted towards Bush since he's easier to make fun of.

"Comedic news" has basically turned into normal MSM news, but with a few "jokes" sprinkled in.

Last Week Tonight was decent when he was covering non-political stuff like food waste and the insanity of FIFA. Politics though? I can't watch anymore. In fact, I stopped downloading it about a year ago.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
At no point am I disagreeing with any of the points made here, just pointing out this:

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (a Topics & Air Dates Guide)

List of all topics covered last three years....like maybe 4 percent on Trump. (just a guess, I am too lazy to add)
Yeah, it's very obvious no one in this thread has actually watched the show. Maybe 1 in 10 of those issues are partisan. The front half of the show is usually world events that have nothing to do with American politics. To say that he takes a partisan view on most of his topics is ridiculous.

There was one particularly poorly researched piece about online harassment. There have been basically no left-wing-culture warrior pieces since then. Most of his long-form pieces are about criminal justice, higher education issues, personal finance, the prevalence of local political corruption that isn't covered by the media, and the collapse of the media itself.

He took a pledge not to talk about Trump until he was actually relevant, and he didn't say one word about Donald Trump until there were only 3 viable candidates left in the GOP race.

But yeah, keep on bitching about a show you've never seen.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That seems crazy. I sold my 100% working in great condition 98 Grandprix for like 2k, 4 years ago or so. (I no longer needed a sedan, truck more useful for yarkwork.)
I dunno on the reliability on a Saturn, that you think 16yrs is too old. But, pretty sure you could find something super reliable like a Grandprix person to person, or even at a dealer for under 5k.
Keep in mind that cars don't last as long in the north east as they do elsewhere, especially without a garage. Between the weather and the road salt 5 months out of the year, you're fucked.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A government that protects people from usury didn't used to be a left-wing idea. It was, less than 40 years ago, considered a standard role of government.

People butthurt over SJWs do not realize how far to the right the Tea Party has shifted the country as far as our expectations on the role of government.

I definitely think regulations against usury and predatory lending in general should be tightened, and enforced. And I'm not a lefty. The entire predatory lending industry amounts to nothing more than a poor tax.

Caliane

Keep in mind that cars don't last as long in the north east as they do elsewhere, especially without a garage. Between the weather and the road salt 5 months out of the year, you're fucked.
I live in Eastern CT, about 5miles from RI border.
Granted, I do have a garage.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, it's very obvious no one in this thread has actually watched the show. Maybe 1 in 10 of those issues are partisan. The front half of the show is usually world events that have nothing to do with American politics. To say that he takes a partisan view on most of his topics is ridiculous.

There was one particularly poorly researched piece about online harassment. There have been basically no left-wing-culture warrior pieces since then. Most of his long-form pieces are about criminal justice, higher education issues, personal finance, the prevalence of local political corruption that isn't covered by the media, and the collapse of the media itself.

He took a pledge not to talk about Trump until he was actually relevant, and he didn't say one word about Donald Trump until there were only 3 viable candidates left in the GOP race.

But yeah, keep on bitching about a show you've never seen.

I don't have HBO. Racist.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"I pledge not to do something until its relevant. And I am the person who decides if it is relevant."

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I like how he ended up with "well, your government is fucked for the next 4 years" Impeachment doesn't solve anything.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, if Pence can clean up the toxic polluted swamp that Trump created and go back to the usual depressing swamp that we all know and don't love, that's... not regressing?

I doubt there's enough to oust Pence unless he was doing some really fubar stuff behind the scenes.