Lawyer costs question

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Called up one of the lawyers I found online that said they did free consultations and the person who answers the phone says they don't do free consultations, lol. Not gonna hire a lawyer and pay them a ton of money just to find out I still have to go to NC, tho, so I guess i'm just gonna set up a court date and take a bus out there (plane tickets are like $300 wtf).

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Called up one of the lawyers I found online that said they did free consultations and the person who answers the phone says they don't do free consultations, lol. Not gonna hire a lawyer and pay them a ton of money just to find out I still have to go to NC, tho, so I guess i'm just gonna set up a court date and take a bus out there (plane tickets are like $300 wtf).
I said this before. Contact legal aid or the public defenders office in that county. Tell them you cant afford to hire a lawyer. Their job is to defend people who can't afford lawyers. Make a phone call. It cant hurt. Perhaps they can pre-arrange a surrender and have a deal already set in place for you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Alright, i'll look in to that. I dunno how all it works since I declined a lawyer when pleading no contest to the original charge but I spose it wouldn't hurt to see what they say.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, i'll look in to that. I dunno how all it works since I declined a lawyer when pleading no contest to the original charge but I spose it wouldn't hurt to see what they say.

you can still get a public lawyer at any point i think. i know i got mine wayyyyyyyyyyy late in the process back when i had to go through my shit.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
"I think to lose Kentucky is nearly the same as to lose the whole game. Kentucky gone, we cannot hold Missouri, nor Maryland. These all against us, and the job on our hands is too large for us. We would as well consent to separation at once, including the surrender of this capitol.[2][3] " -Abraham Motherfucking Lincoln himself

Please take all future Kentucky North or South? Questions to my salty thread in the shaw.
That was a fun argument. It seems ages ago now.

• 1Truth!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Emailed a different lawyer today and got a super fast response saying they could get the order for arrest recalled and probably get the case dismissed for $1500 which seems pretty decent.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Might wanna be wary of "super fast responses" making big promises.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Agreed. But when you speak to the public defender/legal aid mention it and ask them if it sounds legit.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Emailed a different lawyer today and got a super fast response saying they could get the order for arrest recalled and probably get the case dismissed for $1500 which seems pretty decent.

I'd get the engagement letter drafted and look at it to see what exactly you are hiring them to do. Don't get ripped off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Is that something I would need a physical copy of, like a receipt, for before or when I would pay them?

Edit: Asked him about it and he said for minor criminal things it's memorialized in the e-mail chain we're sending as far as fees/representation/etc.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i mean, it is, but the fact that that's his response rather than offering to just draft the letter seems a little questionable, no?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I've had a law firm take care of a couple outstanding tickets/warrants for me exclusively through email. If you're wanting to keep costs down then I think that's how they do it now. Just look up reviews for the firm on Google first. If they are completely shady it should come up.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
1. Get a fee agreement that delineates exactly what you are paying for and how (flat fee, hourly, when the fee is earned, etc)

2. Check with your State Bar or Supreme Court to find out if the attorney you are hiring has any public discipline

• 1Like