[LCG] Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game (Fantasy Flight Games)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Decided to start a thread for this since I know several people from the FoH Boards have played the game in the past. A year and a half ago, Alderac Entertainment Ground sold the IP for Legend of the Five Rings and Legend of the Burning Sands to Fantasy Flight Games.

Fantasy Flight Games has made the official reveal of their Living Card Game reboot of the Legend of the Five Rings franchise today. The rules have seen a considerable overhaul, and the story is going to be a re-imagining starting with the Pre-Clan War era.

Game releases at GenCon in August, with wider release in the months following.

Company plans to support it with the same tournament system used for the other LCGs, but with an additional layer of 8 major "kotei" tournaments across the world each year.

The major difference between Legend of the Five Rings and other Card Games is that the game has an Ongoing "Interactive" story, meaning you, as a player, can interact with and influence the direction of the game's story by doing well in events. Your actions will be reflected in the storyline, and, usually in the form of cards printed later depicting the events in question.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like L5R but after playing the other lcgs for years I don't think the business model is sustainable. The cost for new players is just too high. These games dwindle down and communities become tiny. It's too bad. I hope they change the business model for this early on in its life as L5R is a sweet game.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oh, I definitely hate the LCG model. But unfortunately, much like MMOs, the "I'm too broke to have adult hobbies" crowd screams the loudest.

Hopefully the ongoing storyline will be something that's able to keep engagement levels up. Something a bit more immediate to compete for than a throne-shaped air freshener :)

Last edited:

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For all the LCG's there's more to compete for then a thrones shaped air freshener. They all award two champion cards per year (it used to be Gencon and worlds but now it's Europe and Worlds). That means as a player you get to possibly effect the game in all of their LCG's.

I'll be honest, I have a million alt art cards and tokens and crap from playing these games for years. I don't use a single one except the plastic death star dial because I like that one. I have like 50 playmats sitting in a corner of my game room :(

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played this on Tabletop Simulator. It is a solid game. I am a sucker for ffg so I will probably buy in as well. The prizes seem to be sort of the same. They added on choosing a yearly keeper card at worlds.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Got 3 copies of the base set at GenCon...They pulled the same shenanigans with this that they have with all the 'living' card games...You need three copies of the base to be able to build complete decks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Played in the Thursday event at GenCon, went 4-1, losing last round to the sheer randomness of singleton 30/30 decks :) Was a lot of fun, even if they really shouldn't have allowed people to "play out the turn" at time. I will admit to having a big dumb grin on my face hearing 700+ players do the banzai shouts for the first time in decades. Didn't have a ticket for Friday, so I went to go cruise the boardgame demos.

We got confirmation that the game releases October 5th, so a 6 week wait until general availability. Core sets are selling for stupid amounts right now, considering how quickly they'll be readily available. So are the gencon promos; already got an offer of $200 for my Spot-Glossed Phoenix Stronghold, but I'm a sentimental sort so will likely hold onto it.

A bit of a rocky first set of tournaments, but that's what I'm used to from FFG by now, and they've never run events this large before, on top of their pre-existing bumbling.

Was nice to finally be able to talk with people about the game at the con, since NDA had been keeping me from discussing basically anything. Now I can just claim all my thoughts were formed after playing at GC ;)

A lot of games going really slow as people learn how to play. This game probably has one of the largest differentials between new/bad player Time-to-Play and experienced/competitive player Time-to-Play. 15-40m vs 80-120m is a massive gap.

The Thursday tournament probably shouldn't have had achievement prizes at it. It was trying to serve two masters, and sending super mixed signals doing so. If it's going to be a fun learn-to-play event, then just give out participation prizes for playing each round, don't make those prizes based on winning. And most certainly don't put a worlds-invite in the Undefeated Slot. Saw several new players getting treated shitty by people lusting for promos/hatamoto status, at what was essentially supposed to be a prerelease/extended demo.

Ended up lending my core set to a guy on Friday who couldn't get one from the FFG booth due to sell-out, so that he could have a deck for the friday tournament; now that I see the secondary market value of core sets I'm pleasantly surprised I got my cards back!

Looking forward to never playing 1-core L5R again, and getting to play real games with 3-core soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user