League Of Legends

blumpster_sl

shitlord
I remember trying to explain to people how the league you were in had no effect on who you would play or play with and that your (now hidden) Elo was still everything.
I understand that. The last game I played, my 2nd after being put into Gold 1, was full of Plat V/IV people. If that's who I'm playing with/against, why am I not in that league? Why do I have to win 3 out of 5 games against people in a higher league than me just so I can have the same shiny logo on my profile as them? It's strange. I guess they wanted to stratify things to convince you that you're progressing linearly, but in reality everyone in say, Gold 3 - Plat 3 is basically the same tier.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The reason we've got this much, much complicated system is that it provides the illusion of progression for a big hunk of the player base. In S2 something crazy like half the players couldn't get to silver so that means half your ranked players just floundered somewhere around bronze forever with not much sense of accomplishment. Bronze is bronze is bronze. By adding these tiers and by moving around the values of each tier (Gold this season is really like mid-upper Silver last season but don't tell anyone) more people can have upward mobility. Even awful players can feel like they are going somewhere when they go from Bronze 5 to Bronze 3.

I don't like the system. It's unintuitive and unnecessarily complicated and it sure isn't anything I would have ever put in place but I think if Bronze was divided up in to more tiers and there was another tier between diamond and challenger it would work a bunch better. Bronze is just fucking massive so that's a problem and for the really really good players they don't have hardly any idea how close they are to Challenger where they fall in to Diamond once they reach D1. Hell, even the points for Challenger don't mean shit. You can lose a game and get dropped from Challenger with 200+ LP.

blumpster_sl

shitlord
That makes sense. I was gold in S2 with like 80 games played and aside from knowing the meta and pacing of the game my opponents don't seem any better than what I'm used to, if maybe a little less skilled. I don't really see the point in going beyond gold if the rewards are the same. New shiny nameplate might be cool, but I rarely get my best lane (mid), and usually play support. It's not all bad I guess, I just hate never being able to build anything until the game's basically over if we're winning, or not at all if we're losing. Fuck wards, seriously.

They should remove green wards and restrict the multi-ward items to two per team, and up the price of pinks to 200, elixir to 600 and reapply the lost on death attribute.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I had this feeling at the start of the season that vision wards were the new sight wards and while that never really manifested itself in the games I played it sure seems that way in high end competitive play. Pinks are placed everywhere by everyone.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree that Bronze really needs to be spread out more. You still have a gigantic percentage of the player base squished into Bronze/Silver, Gold/Platinum/Diamond are mostly ok except for the clump at Diamond I because Challenger 'fills up'. With how many damn games it takes to get anywhere I don't know that I really want more tiers but it just seems really pointless at the moment. I doubt they would just leave everything exactly the same in Season 4, but we'll have to see.

Edit: I got placed into Silver I with an 8-2 placement record, and for my promo to get to Gold V I was still matched up against Plat players, so I feel you there. It's an imperfect system at best. I still don't believe in ELO hell though, that's just cognitive dissonance of people not accepting they are average or worse. The latest Oglaf has what might be my favorite line that covers this in the last panel:

rrr_img_43906.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why is lolesports not loading? Riot... you're bigger than goddamn Blizzard at this point. What the fuck?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Loads fine for me. Checked it a few times today. Something on your/your isp's end?

Or was swamped by all the people checking to see why no games tonight. (Scheduled day off, starts again tomorrow night)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
+18, +22, -16, +24 (99 league points), -2, +1, RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Fuck this system, why is +1 point even possible.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Actually, based up the stats from LoLsummoner it seems most regions are actually concentrated in silver (which is what use to be bronze). So ya, nothing has really changed and tons of people are still bad.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's funny how true it is. I have one friend who only gets a few points everytime he wins because he's in tier 1 of his bracket and he bitches to me constantly saying his MMR is so much higher but the game is flawed because it only gives him single digit points. Just like... /sigh

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not worried about the bracket/league, I'll have the promo game tonight, but it just seems so retarded for it to go from big swings either direction to single digit points out of the blue. Why even give me +20anything or -20anything if it's going to clamp down to +1/-1 at some unknown point? Old system just seemed simpler instead of obfuscating the number that actually matters and just throwing arbitrary league point numbers around.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Clamping only affects players that haven't been doing ranked much. I never encounter clamping because by the time I get to Division I in my League my MMR has already increased to the correct level. Clamping affects players that rarely play ranked and/or just finished promos. If you work your way up from Div V to Div I then you shouldn't notice any clamping.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That's funny how true it is. I have one friend who only gets a few points everytime he wins because he's in tier 1 of his bracket and he bitches to me constantly saying his MMR is so much higher but the game is flawed because it only gives him single digit points. Just like... /sigh
There is something weird that goes on at Tier 1 though. My friend is clamped in the middle of the tier, gets single digit points for wins. That's fine, must mean his MMR isn't high enough to really advance. But here's what doesn't make sense, he loses single digit points for losses as well. He climbed his way from 0-70 getting single digits for win/losses and it finally opened up for him and gave him double digits for wins. So his MMR must have caught up. But now he gets double digits for losses as well. I don't quite get the system.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
Clamping only affects players that haven't been doing ranked much. I never encounter clamping because by the time I get to Division I in my League my MMR has already increased to the correct level. Clamping affects players that rarely play ranked and/or just finished promos. If you work your way up from Div V to Div I then you shouldn't notice any clamping.
I have over 1k games played, and was clamped in gold 1 and plat 1. In plat 2 I was getting 20+ points a win.

I did have a terrible spell in gold where I'm sure my MMR tanked as I lost game after game in gold 5. But I did climb from gold 5 to diamond 5 without anymore spells like that.

The complaints about the lack of transparency are valid. The system as a whole is fine.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Grats dude, good luck on diamond~

I've got some free time if anyone is interested in getting boosted to any elo for the best prices you can get anywhere, let me know before the season ends which is about a month away. Don't miss out on the elise skin!