Learning a second language for career purposes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
@Fiyero

The place I originally learned Arabic (DLI in Monterey) just really instilled in me the ability to remember many many words, phrases, definitions and grammatical rules without too much effort anymore. There are so many parallels in grammatical structure (generally, not higher nuance of literature and shit). I have no particular method other than reading lots of things, talking to some Ukrainians I know in Russian via Skype very often who are more than happy to put up with all my mistakes (don't be afraid to make mistakes, rule #1 IMO).

Example of the kind of parallels I am talking about. Arabic has very similar constructs in terms of plurality/gender agreements it is simply not a chore to wrap my head around it. I am bad at saying/recognizing soft sign. But I believe that just takes time, much like glottal stops and various emphatic letters in Arabic. Aspect and motion verbs are a bit of a curve.

Honestly, the grammar isn't that bad as the labyrinthine nature of Arabic grammar (it is completely batshit, utterly so) makes most things pale in comparison. I can read quickly already and converse reasonably well. But plenty more to learn!

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Mandarin is nice. I've been learning it for ages it seems and lived in China for some time. Coming back to the States I did a bit of phone interpreting for a short while and occasionally translate documents in my current company. I'd say it definitely helped land my current job, but I don't use it very often really. It really depends on where you live and what your other skills are. I'm thinking about heading back overseas to work in an embassy/consulate as the need is pretty high with the State Department. Other than that, I'm still looking around to see what's available here with the skill. Most of the opportunities seem to be in the NYC/LA/SF areas.